M109 Rider Forums banner

What's the best way to break this engine in ???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my M109 3 days ago. I have put 75 miles on it so far. I have noticed when neutral at a light and going into 1st gear a couple time it was hard going in gear. Also when I first took it out for my 1st ride when I got to work and everyone came out to look at the bike someone noticed dried coolant drops on the plastic fins. I did not see any coolant leaking on the ground.

Other than that I love the bike. It sure gets a lot of attention when I ride it.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
I find that the shifting is a little harsh and it seems like the clutch may not be engaging all the way. I'm going to play with the adjustment to see if I can fix that.

By the way I break mine in just like I would ride it all the time. That's always worked fine for me. ;D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back to me. I took the bike out for the 2nd time and put about 100 miles on it. It felt sooooo good riding that machine and watching all the heads turn as I ride by. ;D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have to agree with lamonster. Break it in like you stole it! ;D j/k really, but I drive pretty hard most of the time, and break my bikes/cars in the same say. On the drive home from the dealer I had it over 100 on the interstate. Never had a problem, and doubt I will from the research I've done.

Anyway, there's my two cents...hope it helps

G

·
Guilty also..I build all out drag motors (cars)....Break in?20 to 30 minutes max.....Varying rpm above 2k,,,,shut it off,,change oil and filter(cut it open and inspect)..re-adjust valves,and re-check timing...Take to the track and run the piss out of it... ;D My 422 sbc makes just over 650 h.p and should easly last 3 seasons....
My current buggie.....

Last buggie...with the 422..
http://media.putfile.com/claycity10142005_0001

G

·
Yep the need for speed is a Hell yes..! ;D....Drag racin is number one to me....the new wagon was bought in Moline Ill. in feb...and been gettin it ready for the track since...until I recieved my new m109r ..... ;D..not gettin much done on the car ,,Ridin has now come first .... ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
traysvega said:
Guilty also..I build all out drag motors (cars)....Break in?20 to 30 minutes max.....Varying rpm above 2k,,,,shut it off,,change oil and filter(cut it open and inspect)..re-adjust valves,and re-check timing...Take to the track and run the piss out of it... ;D My 422 sbc makes just over 650 h.p and should easly last 3 seasons....
My current buggie.....

Last buggie...with the 422..
http://media.putfile.com/claycity10142005_0001
Man oh man! That's some nice wheels.....I'll bet launch time in those babies slides you ass to the back seat or where a back seat use to be....the Vega is tubbed isn't it. :) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i think traysvega is gonna have the first 109 with a wheelie bar ;P.

i kept mine away from redline during break in, but i in no way babied it. it was just too much fun. anyways, about the neutral to first gear problem...release the clutch all the way out while in neutral, then shift to first. that fixed it for me.

·
Registered
525 Posts
My break in is still in the process, but the only limit I put on myself was to stay at or under 5,500rpm. I have occasionally jumped higher than that. Hopefully, that isn't hurting anything.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It doesnt hurt the engine to rev it p once in a while during break in. The thing about break in is that you do not want to keep the rpms constant...I usually follow the breakin rule the manufacturer gives, but I will get on it every so often.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have owned one for the last 5 weeks .
i was told by the dealer not to take it over 4500 revs for the first 500 Kilometers. and then to take it up to high reves in short bursts. the only problem was that when i did this i was getting coolant leaks . I raised my concerns with the dealer and found that i was not the only one having the same problem. If you pull the right air filter housing off there is a rubber hose that runs between the cylinders. there was a loose hose clamp on it that i tightened up resolved the problem. You dont need to pull the tank off to put coolant in the radiator as sugested in the owners nanual . You can remove the left front guard without the need to remove the tank

Regards Chooky

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the coolant problem as well.  I noticed it for the first time yesterday and have about 260 miles on the bike.  I was really worried at first, but came here and did a quick search and felt a little better after reading this post.  I took it to the dealer today and told them what I thought the problem was, but wanted to make sure it wasn't something else.  They sounded like they didn't believe me at first, but they just called back and said yep, the hose clamp was loose. 

Question, do you think this is something that will have to be checked from time to time or is it just something they didn't get tight enough to begin with?

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
should not need to be tightened again. Was probably a little loose comming of the factory line.

·
Registered
172 Posts
traysvega said:
....the new wagon was bought in Moline Ill. in feb...
I knew I recognized that car! ..lol I get to the local track here in Cordova and I know Ive seen that car there in the past.
Anyhow..this is my first post...Im a TL1000R owner ..possibly a soon to be 109 owner as well.

Figured Id add this link about break in time...this is the way I do it...hopefully it helps

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Nate

G

·
I have owned many bikes , Harleys hondas, kawasakis, suzukis, The other Guys that said to run it like you would ride it , they are right on I have never had a bad running bike , just keep oil clean, happy motoring.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I broke my XX in using Muzzy's directions. I had it for 68,000 miles with a Turbo and never had an engine problem.

G

·
Yep ,,shes got the biggins on the rear..32x14x15's .with a 5.14 gear.....Ran a 6.05 @ 112 last sat...still in the tuning stage.. :D :D :D :D :D ..should be an easy 5.90 car....
Yes,,,,60 foots the velle was 1.32's and the vega only a 1.340 ,,set on soft.... :D and ya better be seated all the way back,,head against the seat... :D :D :eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts