M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When slowing down i usually go through the gears. Coming to work today i was slowing down and no matter how fast or slow i let out the clutch it just slammed into gear putting the rear tire in a shake and spin situation. Do i need to just adjust my clutch? Loosen or tighten? I assume loosen. I'm at work so just trying to get some feedback before taking a look at it tonight.

Thank you, J

·
Registered
326 Posts
I know that my first ride with the 109 (coming from a sportbike) resulted in many rear tire chirps from downshifting at too high an RPM.

I have no idea how many miles you have on the 109 but is this a possibility ?.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
High rpms? Probably Not i've got about 2,100 miles now and it just started doing it? You can also feel it slam in at lower rpms but you don't get wheel chirps. I should get the sound of the engine braking.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
jamiesM109R said:
When slowing down i usually go through the gears. Coming to work today i was slowing down and no matter how fast or slow i let out the clutch it just slammed into gear putting the rear tire in a shake and spin situation. Do i need to just adjust my clutch? Loosen or tighten? I assume loosen. I'm at work so just trying to get some feedback before taking a look at it tonight.

Thank you, J
You are downshifting at too high a speed. If you insist on doing this, then be sure to give a little throttle first so the engine won't skid the tire, then let up on the throttle. I don't recommend engine braking below third gear with this bike. Just use those massive brakes on the bike and downshift with the clutch in as you roll to a stop.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Medic1210 said:
You are downshifting at too high a speed. If you insist on doing this, then be sure to give a little throttle first so the engine won't skid the tire, then let up on the throttle. I don't recommend engine braking below third gear with this bike. Just use those massive brakes on the bike and downshift with the clutch in as you roll to a stop.
Medic is right. Give her a little throttle and let out the clutch REAL slow and you won't lock up the rear. I can engine brake pretty consistently now, but it took a few thousand miles to get the hang of it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Couple things to think about here......engine braking is ok but your brakes are much better and are much cheaper to replace than any engine/clutch/tire components.

Downshifting is very important the CORRECT way to do it is to match engine speed with rpms by blipping or revving the engine to just the correct speed to match so upon letting out the clutch there is not that sudden grabbing caused by the motor having to suddenly rev up to catch up to the wheel's speed. This takes practice so try it often.....dont get up too high in the rpm's at first .

Another thing to remember is that with big cylinder motors like a twin of large displacement these downshifts can be particularly difficult becuase of all those large moving parts, compression , cylinder volume and other things. This is why you see the race bikes have slipper clutch systems to help with this. Inline fours with the same displacement have smaller cylinders and rev more easily and this is not AS MUCH of a problem but slipper clutches are even coming on them now too.....

Hope that helps :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Adjusted the clutch after putting on the brakeaway cruise control and now it works fine.

Primary was also low on fluid :read:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts