M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any ideas what to look at guys.I posted here a while ago had no help just a heap of you complaining about the same thing...no fix tho. if i run a higher octane its not as bad but still there.think that just masks the problem.any help would be good . this 109 is stock.thanks in advance.

G

·
I have not experience a true backfire, I do get decel poping from time to time, nature of the beast.

No pings either and I am in AZ, I have riden two up in 118 degree heat with no problems. I can hear the timing chains rolling on the case cover though and at low RPM does sound like chatter not Ping though.

Does this occur at all RPM's or just low or High. The two plugs in each cylinder fire at different times relative to rpms. Have you pulled your plugs to take a look at them to see if they are dry and burnt the same.

I run 91 octane most of the time.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the 109 we get here in australia says on the tank sticker to run 95 or higher.if i run 95 it pops sometimes from idle when you first gun it to take off.wont do it after say 1500 rpms its only when you first blip the throttle to take off.if i run 98 its not as bad but still does it sometimes.very embarresing when you roll up to go for a ride with 600 hells angels.its like a vac leak or loose throttle body or something.....dealer cant find it....please help

·
Registered
363 Posts
Brent said:
the 109 we get here in australia says on the tank sticker to run 95 or higher.if i run 95 it pops sometimes from idle when you first gun it to take off.wont do it after say 1500 rpms its only when you first blip the throttle to take off.if i run 98 its not as bad but still does it sometimes.very embarresing when you roll up to go for a ride with 600 hells angels.its like a vac leak or loose throttle body or something.....dealer cant find it....please help
Look friend, I don't know what your gas numbers mean. Try running a tank of the best gas you can find. Buy it from the busiest station you know of. Run that tank out, then let us know if it's any better or not.

None of this means you can't keep on your dealer and it doesn't hurt for you to look at the bike too. Get your wrenches out and be a patient type. You'll sort it out and still have some hair left.

Best to you,

LG

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've had the "backfire", too. Occasionally, when I blipped the throttle when downshifting, or when taking off from a stop, it would pop through the left air filter. I narrowed it down to buying gas at a corner store near where I live. The gas there is always cheaper than the big boys and now I know why :verymad: I've been buying Conoco 91 octane gas from a station near where I work and haven't had a problem since :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I remember reading a post a while back from someone that was having a very similar problem to this. The solution wasn't fuel, it actually was mechanical. The individual took the bike back to the dealer for the 600 mile / 1000km service and the dealers wrench discoverd that the throttle bodies were out of sync. Person posted after they were re-sync'd that the issue went away completely. Try the simple stuff first, run out the tank as close to dry as you can, fill the tank up with the absolute highest octane (non-ethanal based) fuel that you can and run that out and repeat it again.

If the issue is still there by the end of the second tank, take the bike back to the dealer and ask them to check the throttle bodies to be sure they are opening at the same rate.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have this same issue with mine and have found that when I run 101 octane the pinging and backfiring goes away. Unfortunately at 4.85 a gallon I can't run 101 all the time. My stealer says the pinging/knocking is normal and due to the "51 pound" crank.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Suzuki recommends premium fuel (at least 90 octane) in the owners manual. If you are running at least 90 to 91 octane the engine shouldn't be pinging. If it is pinging with that octane rating, the engine timing is probably too advanced, simply have the dealer check it out.

As others have recommended, try process of elimination first. Completely empty the gas you have now and fill with a well known brand like Chevron, Mobile or Shell and see if that makes a difference. If not, visit the dealer and explain the problem, most likely a timing problem. Success!

EFE M109

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all your help guys.....in oz they say 95 or higher (sticker on tank/dealer and the owners manual)have run most brands and 95 to 98 ratings but i think the higher rating just masks the problem as the problem is still there but not so bad.there was alot of guys on here with the same problem a while ago...come on guys what did you do to resolve it...i have tried everything it says in this post but still no good.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Brent,

There is also the issue that your local government may have a different method for calculating octane than what Suzuki used when writting the manual for your locale. The fact of the matter is, running higher octane doesn't "Mask" the problem, it prevents it.. thats why the bike is supposed to run such high octane fuel.

Having said that, take the bike to the dealer after trying everything listed in this post (and ensuring that it doesn't fix the issue) and have them check the engine timing, its not beyond the realms of probability that its not set right for your country(given the available fuels) or just a 1-off issue with your bike.

People have given you a lot of feedback despite your post being in the wrong forum (should be in the Tech section), so I would recommend doing a search for the issue and looking at the old posts to see what if anything was posted as solutions previously.

Dalton

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
If its poping through the intake alot ( mostly when taking off from a stop) it could be the dreaded "lean pop" which could mean the fuel pump or something else in the fuel system is not doing its job. You might want to check the plugs to what they look like........ white and ckalky is a sign of being lean...... a nice light chocolete brown is right.......and black and sooty is rich. The pinging can also be show a lean condition too :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
took it to a different dealer today just told me thats normal for this bike(even tho my mates one dont do it) he plugged in a tiny little hand held diagnostic tool and told me he opened it up 5% (made it a bit better but still pings when you first blip the throttle or it will pop out the exhaust or the left air cleaner (this can not be normal for a fuel injected engine)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Rabbit said:
I have this same issue with mine and have found that when I run 101 octane the pinging and backfiring goes away. Unfortunately at 4.85 a gallon I can't run 101 all the time. My stealer says the pinging/knocking is normal and due to the "51 pound" crank.
This is absolutely ludicrous when someone says ping/knocking is normal. If you believe this crap then shame on you. It is abnormal for any internal combustion engine to ping except a diesel, which is controlled. The technology of today has provided sound engineering and will perform as advertised. When consumers get their hands on these devices and don't follow the engineered intent then sheet is going to happen.

These Suzuki bikes, by design, do not ping or knock. No manufacturer can afford, for very long, to produce an inferior product and expect to stay in business or be competitive. Granted, there are issues that arise when something on the bike comes loose or unhooked or disconnected. That is why there are service intervals to check for these issues.

We as consumers must be self educated and informed about the products we buy. This means evaluating all information and stop believing everything we hear! Ask questions and seek the facts..........................!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Brent, look in your Owner's Manual and find the number for the manufacturer's Customer Service department. Describe your experience to date and ask that a case number be assigned. Tell them to set you up for a meeting at your local dealership with the regional Suzuki service rep.

Not to be an alarmist but it sounds like you could be at risk for catastrophic engine failure. From how you've described your experiences with both dealers I could see them placing the blame squarely in your court and who needs that crap.

While it may not be your nature to seem confrontational and demanding, this is serious business and requires the involvement of Suzuki staff outside the dealer loop.

LG

1 - 20 of 24 Posts