M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had an embarrassing moment happen tonight. i was out driving to pick up some electrical stuff on the bike, a red VFR pulls up behind me coming to a light. he pulls up beside me and gives me the nod. the engines start revving, waiting for the light, it turns green and boom...we're off screaming through first, and i got the jump on him. that is, until i miss second and end up in neutral. he zooms by. i get it in second but it's too late. man, was i embarrassed, dumping throttle into nothingness. we pull up at the next light and and laugh about it. he did say that he liked the bike, we went off our seperate ways.

i put ISO wings on the night before, and am still getting used to the slightly new foot position. it was funny though, thought i'd share. maybe some of you folks have some stories too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have a good story, but I'll be curious to know how you like those ISO wings as time progresses. I've been thinking about getting a pair myself.

G

·
Good friend of mine was putting his bike away for the Winter (2001 Goldwing) and he was going to put it in his shed. He made a makeshift ramp out of a solid core door. While attempting to drive the bike over the door, lost his balance, bike went down and broke his leg in two places. Anyway, got a call from his wife and two of rushed over to help take care of his bike while he was on his way to surgery. Pulled up to the house, hopped of the bike, ran to the driveway and BOOM. Forgot to put the kickstand down. Now my goldwing was laying down on it's side in the street. DUH!

Worst site in the world is seeing your baby lying on the ground horizontal.

G

·
I can tell you I have them on my 109 now for about 2 months and love them. Have had them on my wing for three years and love them on that too. More foot space and adjustable / tilt.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they are more comfortable, to be sure. i've scraped them already as well, didn't make the bike hop or anything...they fold up at the correct angle. they are definitely more heavy than stocks, if you are worried about conserving weight. i haven't had them rotate yet. i put plenty of blue locktite in there, with a stick of red ready if that doesn't do the trick.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks bruno and phaed for the input on the ISO wings. I think I'll order some. I got spoiled with the stock full floorboards on my other Boulevard, and I'm not really liking the stock pegs on my 109.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
not embarrassing,but similar to Brunos.My Wife and I were leaving a poker run and she knocked her old Suzi Marauder 800 into neutral and ended up dropping it.I had already pulled out into the street and turned around to see where she was.I got so flustered that I jumped off of my Buell I had at that time and let it roll on in the street,while I was running back to her.Good thing those Buells have alot of plastic!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I had them and I think it is easier to shift with them.I took of do to turns,and went back stock.Second gear need some fine tuning Suzuki,it sucks to hammer a bike off the line,and lose it in second.Lamont said all bikes got their qurks,this is a bad quirk.The Valkyrie was hard to shift,cuz the gears were straight cut,I think they forgot to cut the gears on this bike for second.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I've missed second a few times,but I was babying it through the gears. If you really slap that puppy,it will hit second. Don't worry about bending the linkage,it won't happen. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I missed second in a race and looked like an idiot. I have years of racing under my belt and my buddy who just started riding smoked me on a smaller bike. I still hear about it every time I see him. That only happened once though, now I shift like I mean it. It seems like the more miles I get under my belt on this bike the better it starts to shift. (that or I am just building up leg muscle from all the hard shifts) :redfaced:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Bruno said:
Good friend of mine was putting his bike away for the Winter (2001 Goldwing) and he was going to put it in his shed. He made a makeshift ramp out of a solid core door. While attempting to drive the bike over the door, lost his balance, bike went down and broke his leg in two places. Anyway, got a call from his wife and two of rushed over to help take care of his bike while he was on his way to surgery. Pulled up to the house, hopped of the bike, ran to the driveway and BOOM. Forgot to put the kickstand down. Now my goldwing was laying down on it's side in the street. DUH!

Worst site in the world is seeing your baby lying on the ground horizontal.
I know that feeling!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ouch!

·
Registered
350 Posts
rasputin said:
Those engine bars look like they are doing good work though..or is it the car that is stopping the bike toppling?
Actually, neither vehicle had so much as a rub on it. Other than taking a mirror out once, I had that bike over three or four times and never even a mark. It’s surprising how well those bars actually work.

·
Registered
629 Posts
whiteout said:
Actually, neither vehicle had so much as a rub on it. Other than taking a mirror out once, I had that bike over three or four times and never even a mark. It’s surprising how well those bars actually work.
:eek: you know? I saw the engine bars pics on the 109 and didn't like them at all.
After I read your post they have suddenly become more attractive to me.
Can't explain why, it's just so. :dontknow:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts