M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guy's The oil filter for the 109 is#1359 Napa Gold From Napa autoparts. Hope this helps someone

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OOOOOOOOOOBOY That is the Question of the Century.Iwas told a long time ago by a very old machanic. The average time an oil filter is actualy filtering oil is about 1000 mile before it goe's into Buypass.Once the paper element is full of dirt the buypass valve opens to let oil pass the filter element to engine pump or parts I'm not sure how many company's Don't have buypass valves But I'm sure alot of them do or they would be replaceing your engine. do to oil starvation

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Just did a oil change and used the Suzuki Factory Filter. The box said made in China :eek: :eek: That aside for $10.00 why use anything else. Suzuki is providing a warranty and uses the filter. If it's good enough to be installed from the factory it's good enough for me. :D :D :D If you check your owners manual Suzuki recommends to change the filter at 600 miles and then every 10,000 miles. Thats got to be one hell of a filter to perform at those intervals :eek: :eek: :eek: Those that would argue there is 1/4 qt. of dirty oil in the filter if you change oil without changing the filter better think again. The engine holds 5 quarts of oil when originally filled at the factory. You only drain out and replace 3.8 qt's of oil even if your replace the filter which leaves 1.2 qt's. dirty oil in the engine on each oil change :eek: :eek: :eek: Guess that's the drawback of a semi-dry sump system :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
956 Posts
To me an oil change is still cheap insurance. I change mine every 2000 miles along with the filter. I use the same filter from my C90. A clean engine is a happy engine. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
906 Posts
So just because a filter will get your bike out of the warranty period with no problems is good enough reason to keep using it ?

I don't know about you, but the warranty was up on all my vehicles except the new Chrysler Pacifica and the V-Star a long time ago. None of them including the one's under warranty have had the stock filter since the first oil change. My work van leads the pack with 336,000+ miles on it, then my explorer with 95 K, My Gold wing with 65 K and then they trickle down from there.

A vehicle will make it well out of warranty just by changing the oil regularly, but how much wear is caused to shorten the life of the components is another thing. 65% of wear, caused by dirt, are particles in the 5-25 Micron range. With current technology on a single pass filter, the best you can get is 15 Micron without the filter running in by-pass. Only one filter is Absolute at 15 Micron and that is the AMSOIL EAOM Series (M is for M/C). Most filters have a Nominal rating which which is 50% rating... 50 percent, or Absolute ? The choice is yours. CHEAP Insurance.

So for me, I spend the extra money for the best filter you can buy ($12.00 for the 109) and change my oil and filter once a year. Same goes for my cages.. My van was averaging 35-40K per year and changing oil once a year instead of once a month makes a big difference to me. Both my bikes, once a year. All my other vehicles, instead of 4 times per year, are also, once per year... Saves time, Saves Money... Both of which I never have enough of...

Bob

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
metric man said:
what is the part number of the filter for the 109?
EAOM109..... or EAOM109C if you want a chrome one

·
Registered
906 Posts
Bonehead is correct... $12.00 for the 109 , $13.75 for the 109C

Unfortunately, if all you are going to buy is a couple filters, the freight will eat you up... Unless you or you have some friends or a club that want to buy enough filters to get over 24 lbs, where the freight is 0.35 cents per lb Either that or buy a case of oil so it takes the brunt of the freight.

Sweeper: You said it right when you said "A long time ago"

AMSOIL's new Nano-Fiber Oil Filter is good for 1 year or 25,000 miles, In Most Applications, when AMSOIL 100% Synthetic is used.. There is not another oil or filter that can do that.

The New Nano-Fiber air filters are good for the same period and then need to be cleaned, ie: blown out, and can be used for up to 4 years... Flow as well as a K&N and filter up to 50 times better... For New technology, We need a new way of thinking.

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts