M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the results are in: I'm screwed! At idle my bike produces 94db (2 over the limit) at high idle my bike produces 101db (5 over). I am now a hoodlum! What will my wife and child think of me now LOL.

High idle is only 2000-2200 rpm. If they would have got to 4000 I might have been jailed. Over all the cops were very nice and you could tell that many of them did not personally agree with the regulation. More cops commented on how much they liked my bike, than they did regarding the noise it was producing. In the end they had to say tough rocks...go get it fixed. No point in bringing in my other bike.

I think we need to ex-communicate all but the one city councilor...seems to me about 75% of the bikes were failing...even stock bikes. All things being equal, this could mean that approx. 10,000 of the 13,000 registered bike owners in town will be super pissed in the coming weeks. Eat my shorts Edmonton! I would have hoped there would more priority set on the multiple stabbings here per week rather than "loud bikes" and the need for a tax raising, money losing expo.

Oh yeah, this was on a 2009 m109r with Cobra Swept pipes, Q5 intake and Power commander.

Here ends my rant.

·
Registered
199 Posts
2008 M109R2...stock pipes...78db at idle and 90db at 2000...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm.
I still have my stock ones. I just wish they weren't straight. The lines on the bike just don't go with the stock pipes.

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
199 Posts
Oooops that was 87 db at idle and 90 db at 2000...my typing is dyslexic had the first numbers reversed...dam fingers aren't listening to the brain again :D

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm running 90 db at idle and 94 at 2000 with all 6 baffles removed.

Also, 100 db at 5000 ... We had time to play around with a db meter.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I managed to be a few DB under the limits ...so did Patrick so our ears won't be ringing anymore on long rides with him ..:joke:

pics of my pipe and pics of the test site from Sunday..

bad news is we all have to live with our bikes sounding like :edit: goldwings now ...

Header dump valve is next on the list of mods ...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

I had a little time to play and at higher RPM's I was a bit louder than that however I wish I asked him to test the DB of the stebel horns ..

The tests were not that accurate in my opinion as there was allot of background noise from other bikes and allot of people standing around watching and reflecting sound ...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Czyco,
How do they measure the dbs? Is the meter 10 feet away from this pipes??? We're going to be getting the same thing in Calgary except a fine of $500.
I have the Big Shots with baffles. I wonder what the db is for them?
Brian.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Czyco,
How do they measure the dbs? Is the meter 10 feet away from this pipes??? We're going to be getting the same thing in Calgary except a fine of $500.
Brian.
The meter is about 18 to 24 inches from the pipes at a 45 degree angle ...

From what I saw I would put money on the fact that bigshots won't pass .

A friend of mine with Kawi ( 1600 cc ? ) has those pipes and failed ...

ever heard a police cruiser running ? they are about 5DB or so under the limit... the guys with drilled stock pipes are at the limit ....

·
Registered
172 Posts
did not pass

Czyco,
Brian.
Just saw on the news tonight that Calgary city councel did not pass the noise bylaw.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Calgary city may not have however it is going to be a provincial thing .... it's just a matter of time .... Sask . has already been issueing tickets ...

·
Registered
267 Posts

Was this with your own db reader or with the ones the cops are using? I have the baffles removed on my M90 and wondering if I'll squeek under the limits?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Come on, I think you are just jealous......
typical Calgarian , always thinking we are jealous about what you have ...

isn't there are carley simon song about that ? " your so vane " or something like that ?

:joke:

seriously , I think you will find it becoming a provincial thing .....

if not I think I found a new place to test out that header dump I want to make .... hopefully you guys won't mind me and a dozen of my buddies screaming around Calgary with wide open pipes .... maybe we could make it a weekly thing " open header weekends " I have a couple friends with some big block hot rods and one or two guys with some bracket cars that might want to be in on the action ..... what neighborhood do you live in again ?:joke:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Was this with your own db reader or with the ones the cops are using? I have the baffles removed on my M90 and wondering if I'll squeek under the limits?
I believe he had the police test it when they had a " free testing day "

local news stations found that the cheap units you can buy at places like circuit city work just the same as the results are identical to the police units when compared side by side.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I believe he had the police test it when they had a " free testing day "

local news stations found that the cheap units you can buy at places like circuit city work just the same as the results are identical to the police units when compared side by side.
Actually, I have access to a professional db meter through my volunteer work. It's normally used in a live concert setting.

·
Registered
172 Posts
typical Calgarian , always thinking we are jealous about what you have ...

isn't there are carley simon song about that ? " your so vane " or something like that ?

:joke:

seriously , I think you will find it becoming a provincial thing .....

if not I think I found a new place to test out that header dump I want to make .... hopefully you guys won't mind me and a dozen of my buddies screaming around Calgary with wide open pipes .... maybe we could make it a weekly thing " open header weekends " I have a couple friends with some big block hot rods and one or two guys with some bracket cars that might want to be in on the action ..... what neighborhood do you live in again ?:joke:
Don't hate us because we are beautiful.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts