M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I understand that DLP used to have an Edelbrock / Holley intake before but now they don't.

#1 Where did it go and has anyone heard if it is coming back?

#2 What does it take to make it do for yourself? The air filters are only $20 a piece but I don't want to hook it to my bike with duct tape!:dontknow:

#3 Lastly, do you need fuel management if you do this mod? I have K&N's already and debaffled exhaust but no fuel management.

·
Registered
877 Posts
dremel tool & car door molding...dont have pics...or do a ducks or a low budget ducks like i did...yes u need a fuel management...good luck
old pic...

Attachments

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
If you are slightly mechanically inclined, you can do it yourself pretty easy. All they did was drill holes in the Holley backing plate to fit over the dowels on the stock plastic air boxes.

Here's a how to on installing the kit. You can see where the holes were made to go over the stock mounting dowels. You can place the back plate on the boxes and use a nail or punch to locate the holes, then drill them out yourself. The large hole in the center is already in the backing plate.

The gasket they show is used to seal the new backing plates to the stock air boxes, so it goes on the back of the plates or on the front of the air boxes.

The new front covers clip on just like they would if used on a car.

I'm not sure why they stopped selling them. And if you're running K&N's now and the bike runs OK, you won't need fuel management with these. But adding one is always recommended.

http://www.m109riders.com/howto/holleymod/

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I was told from DLP that they are either looking for another company to modify the backing plates, or they don't know if they will carry them again. After hearnigh that, I decided to tackle it myself.

Like Errange said, you'll need a Dremel with cutting wheels to cut the carburator 'flute' , so it will sit 'flush' with the stock airbox. You'll also need some kind of gasket to seal up between the backing plate and the airbox.

The only real issue I had was figuring out how to mount the backing plate to the airbox, then the mesh screen to the plate. This can be done several ways. I literally just took the airboxes, backing plates, and screens with me to Home Depot to the hardware section and figured out the best way for me to do it. This can be done several ways.

Now, the way I did it, you will lose the air filters and be using the foam insert that come with the intakes. Somewhere on here someone did a custom secondary plate (made out of plexiglass I think) to accomodate the stock filters. Hopefully they'll chime in for ya.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
But the foam is good enough, I had them on mine for four years with no problems. Last I saw, The Boys (Pep, that is) sold replacement foam filters in the same section the original kits were located, right next to each other, on the same shelf, in the same store. WOW!:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Judy wasn't too make sure you realize that this is a pretty old thread so you might not get any replies.
Yeah. Massive thread revival. I was worried about that...

Someone must have the directions for this somewhere in a notebook or something. LOL

~Brian

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sargeant002 needed instructions for M109"R", not for "C"109...

even thou mods are similar for both, it is lot more complicated for "M".
Ah got it. Oh well. If there is no active thread at least this one might help a little. But, yeah, my bad.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts