M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't seem to find or search result this question...
I am trying to connect a new Gear shift Indicator up on my 2007 M109r
It came with a grey plug that plugs into the ECU Access port?
Haven't taken the left side cover off yet to see if that's where this plug is located.
Is it hidden near the ECU or stuffed deep inside the bike somewhere else and what colour is that plug and is it capped.
I can't seem to find any pics of it or where it's located.

·
Radio Active Member
22,745 Posts
Is it the Healtech gear indicator? On my 07 it plugs in on the right side, or throttle side, of the bike. You remove the plastic side panel and the plug is behind that. Mine was kind of hidden behind the frame down tube. I don't remember the color but I can find out if you tell me what indicator you got. It's actually an inline plug, you pull the existing connector apart and plug this inline with it, kind of like a trailer connector on a truck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it the Healtech gear indicator? On my 07 it plugs in on the right side, or throttle side, of the bike. You remove the plastic side panel and the plug is behind that. Mine was kind of hidden behind the frame down tube. I don't remember the color but I can find out if you tell me what indicator you got. It's actually an inline plug, you pull the existing connector apart and plug this inline with it, kind of like a trailer connector on a truck.
It's from ebay and has one grey plug with 3 wires, it's supposed to plug directly into the diagnostic connector of the ECM and reads Data directly from it. It says find the White 6 pole male diagnostic connector usually near the ECM box

Attachments

·
Radio Active Member
22,745 Posts
I'm not at all familiar with that particular unit, and I've never read of anyone on here installing one like it. All the others that I know of plug into the gear position indicator plug I mentioned on the right side.

The ECU is behind the left, clutch side. plastic cover so it should be easy to find the connector if we have one. I've honestly never noticed a connector like that on the bike. But it may have one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not at all familiar with that particular unit, and I've never read of anyone on here installing one like it. All the others that I know of plug into the gear position indicator plug I mentioned on the right side.

The ECU is behind the left, clutch side. plastic cover so it should be easy to find the connector if we have one. I've honestly never noticed a connector like that on the bike. But it may have one.
I'll let you know when I take things apart;)

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
IMHO
It doesn´t plug directly to ECU. You plug it in the white plug BELOW the ECU,
which is the Diagnostic Plug and its easy to find. Its the one where we test for FI
codes. It is white and has a black ruber cap, and it is below the ECU beneath
the left side cover.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IMHO
It doesn´t plug directly to ECU. You plug it in the white plug BELOW the ECU,
which is the Diagnostic Plug and its easy to find. Its the one where we test for FI
codes. It is white and has a black ruber cap, and it is below the ECU beneath
the left side cover.
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So here it goes... and went :)
1, Bike on bike jack
2, remove seat
3, Remove left side (side with seat lock key) body cover covering
the ECU and bang the white diagnostic plug is staring at me, didn't even have to dig around
4, Remove key lock cable from lock mechanism, THAT'S a hole other discussion
5, Remove back tank bolt
6, slid tank back 3 or 4 inches and lift up back and jam something under side to hold it up
7, Thread the gear shift indicator cable from top of tank down and out the back underside of the tank
8, Zap strap it to the frame and plug it into the diagnostic port.
Now just did everything in reverse.
Let the bike down, sat on it and Lifted up the kick stand to in-gauge the start circuit , turned on the key, the display went from 1 to 5 then zero.
Started up the bike and took it for a ride and worked perfectly.
Buda Bing Buda Boom:)
1/2 to 45 min from start to finish.
The only catch was trying to remove the seat lock cable from the key mechanism what a PAIN in the assss.
I made a aluminum bracket to hold the indicator just over the tree bolt so it's hidden from view and inconspicuous but sitting in the seat and riding I can see it perfectly.
All in all ease of installation I give it a 4/5 if the stupid seat lock came off easier I would of given it a 5/5.
No programming or changing wires or resetting, it literally was plug and play,
Easy pezzy lemon squeezy

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts