M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a set of EBC front brake pads the other day. They work fine, 2 finger stops are a breeze, but these things have got to be the noisiest brake pads on earth. They're not squeeling...just a real loud "SHHHHHHHHHHHH" whenever I get on the brakes. Anybody else notice this? If they don't shut up after they break in a bit, I'm getting a new set of the stockers...:dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,850 Posts
Did you get the sintered or the organic? The sintered do make more noise, but they don't dust as much as the organics. They also tend to squeal a little more, but you can fix that by putting some disc brake quiet on the back of the pads.

The sintered pads also quieten down some after a while as the rotor and pads wear so they conform to each other.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you get the sintered or the organic? The sintered do make more noise, but they don't dust as much as the organics. They also tend to squeal a little more, but you can fix that by putting some disc brake quiet on the back of the pads.

The sintered pads also quieten down some after a while as the rotor and pads wear so they conform to each other.
They're the organic ones...and I picked up some disc brake quiet, but the bottle says "not for use with shimmed pads", so I was hesitant to use it.:dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,850 Posts
I've never noticed the warning about using the disc brake quiet with shimmed pads. Good thing, because I've used it on a bunch of them. :D

I put it behind the shim and install it when still uncured. Maybe that's why it worked.

Even with the organics I'd give them a few hundred miles to get bedded in to the rotors. Until then they are running on top of every small ridge in the rotors and will make a little more noise. And you'll probably see more dusting for a while too.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Just installed a set of EBC front brake pads the other day but these things have got to be the noisiest brake pads on earth. They're not squeeling...just a real loud "SHHHHHHHHHHHH" whenever I get on the brakes. Anybody else notice this? :dontknow:
.. Oh yeah.. I had the same exact issue.. Mine did not quiet down after breakin so i gave them away to another member here and bought a set of Galfer pads.. Night and day difference in my case..

·
Registered
278 Posts
EBC Pads

I installed the EBC Sintered pads (which are great by the way - and also fixed the stock pad squeal problem).

They too make the S-H-H-H-H-H-H-H sound.

It's normal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never noticed the warning about using the disc brake quiet with shimmed pads. Good thing, because I've used it on a bunch of them. :D

I put it behind the shim and install it when still uncured. Maybe that's why it worked.

Even with the organics I'd give them a few hundred miles to get bedded in to the rotors. Until then they are running on top of every small ridge in the rotors and will make a little more noise. And you'll probably see more dusting for a while too.
Did you put it between the shim and the pad, or between shims and the pistons in the caliper?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,850 Posts
Did you put it between the shim and the pad, or between shims and the pistons in the caliper?
Between the shim and the caliper. That's the same way I do it on cars so I did the same on the bike. I don't think it really matters as it all you want to do is absorb the vibration that creates the squeal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Between the shim and the caliper. That's the same way I do it on cars so I did the same on the bike. I don't think it really matters as it all you want to do is absorb the vibration that creates the squeal.
Fair enough...I'll give it a try then.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
After trying the pads and the shshshshshshshs like a fraught train. I'll go back to stock. Smooth and quiet. They didn't last any longer then the stock brakes. No gain in my eyes.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
After trying the pads and the shshshshshshshs like a fraught train. I'll go back to stock. Smooth and quiet. They didn't last any longer then the stock brakes. No gain in my eyes.
Unless you like brake dust all over the place, the sintered pads don't cover my entire bike AND me with dust just my wheels are dusted after a hard day of twisties.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts