M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: Is anyone disturbed at how easily the throttle turns and causes the bike to jump forward and retard its speed so erratically? Can anyone tell me if you can increase resistance or spring tension or how ever it can be done to make this throttle behave better. Remember how Chrysler's Full time power steering was so sensitive, same type thing

shift-red ::)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
THIS SENSATION ISN'T CAUSED BY SPRING TENSION - IT'S CAUSE BY THE SHAPE OF THE
CABLE WHEEL AT THE THROTTLE BODIES.. I READ AN ARTICLE ABOUT THIS AND SEVERAL
SPORTBIKE OVER THE YEARS HAVE BEEN PLAGED WITH THIS SYMPTOM, UPDATE WERE OFFERED
FOR THEM AND I WOULDN'T BE SUPPRISED IF WE SEE ONE DOWN THE ROAD

GODZUKI

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Yeah, it can catch you off-guard if you hit a patch of rough road. When I replaced my stock grips with ISO grips. I put a strip of black tape around the bar with some grease and it adds a little more tension to the throttle. With this added resistance, the throttle is not so quick to jerk around. It will still do it but just not as bad. I've done this on several bikes. The black tape lasts a good while too. Just add enough to create resistance, not bind the throttle.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Biker-chicky you keep pushing the reading of the manual. Don't you know real men don't ask for directions or read manuals! :joke: :joke: :joke:

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
so ya im going to refer to the manual if i think it may help.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
It will get a little better with some break in time.

I founf that early on I just waited for more room in front of me before I took off. Then I did so with more gusto.
Both the Bike and I love it that way.

Sledzep

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
COZ375 said:
You will get used to it. We all had the same issue with it. I don't even notice it anymore.Â
3340 miles.
I got used to it as well... eventually you'll find that you just get a smoother hand.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
JUtah said:
I got used to it as well... eventually you'll find that you just get a smoother hand.
Same here ............ but if I let anyone ride it (rarely) I do warn them about the touchy throttle :p

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
biker-chicky said:
this will go away as you brake in the bike
Actually, I've found that it goes away after you learn how to control the throttle better. At first I was bucking a good bit in turns and such, but now I'm smoothe like butter... unless I put on a new pair of gloves that I haven't worn. That always messes up my "feel" for the throttle and my ultimate control for at least a few miles. This can bring back the jerkiness so it tells me it's more "me" getting better at controlling it rather then just the bike breaking in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was wondering if I was the only one who had this going on, I like the resposivness of this bike, heavy torque on the way up and lots of engine braking on the way down. For the most part its not been a big issue but there is a spot in the road by my house thats the worst part of the road, to top it off its a spot that you happen to be leaning into a turn on deceleration. The first few times the engine braking had me quirky here but I have learned to use my index finger on the throttle housing and sort of drag it as I turn the throttle, it allows me to make very little throttle movements to avoid the jerk.

·
Registered
166 Posts
This wouldn't be a problem if Suzuki would just move the gearing up a little bit, it really is geared too low in 1st, except for those wanting to do burn-outs, you could get rid of 1st gear, although the throttle is very trigger happy, haven't gotten to the part where it gets better, I'll work on that!

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Another trick I've learned when making turns in intersections (left ones that is), is to shift quickly into second gear. This helps with the smoothness some. For sharp right handers, just work on throttle control.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think the more you ride and get more acquainted with your bike the less jerky you will be. I also think the JSD-3M helps out tremendously.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What really needs to be done is to increase the ratio of movement between the throttle and the throttle cable drum.
Which could be done by increasing the initial diameter of the throttle cable drum, which would slow down the responce of the throttle, then reduce the diameter of the throttle cable drum so that full throttle could be reached.

I was going to compair it to a lobe of a camshaft but there are two cables (open & close) so a football standing on end would give you a better picture. And best of all you can use your stock cables because the distance doesn't change.

Now all we need is someone to build one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts