M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone interested in being able to access their coolant overflow  reservoir( in case there level is low) without having to remove the gas tank, can do it for just a couple of bucks.  All it takes is a one time  removal of your tank, loosen your front fairings and find out exactly where your reservoir filler neck is at on the front left fairing.  Then you just need a 1 1/2" hole saw and a chrome cap from any hardware store that fits sink holes.  Once you  cut the hole the cap snaps into place and it looks like it should be factory made.    Take care and keep the wheels Rollin. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Re: Coolant reservoir access

lawdog said:
Let's try this again (how do you "edit"?)
Look at the upper-right corner of the box that your post is in. There is a button that says "MODIFY". Click on it and you can edit your post any way that you like :bigthumbsup:
Edit to include: You have to be logged in to see it.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Re: Coolant reservoir access

lawdog said:
Guy, the filler neck is on the right-hand side of the bike. The coolant overflow is on the right. See my mod pics:

Lawodg, do you keep the side panels off??? Intriguing to say the least if you do. And larger pics?

Sledzep

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far everyone who has looked at it says that it looks factory made. If your ever in a pinch it takes 2 seconds to remove the cap and add water to your reservoir. Instead of having to remove the hole gas tank or even taking all the fairings off. Ride on 8) 8)

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
sweet mod! I know I dissassembled mine the first day trying to get to it thinking the resevoir was low. It was full but what a pain in the ass. I think you could do this with the tank and all in place just using your pic as a template and a fine tooth hole saw. I have cut into painted plastic before and it usually does not flake the paint around the edges plus the cap is going to cover it. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I could swear that someone posted a fast way to do this without cutting the bike....
You may want to search for it before cutting

G

·
lawdog just did your mod remove all the pieces & paint bike runs 9 deg. cooler at the track & i can use my lowering straps without messing up the paint on the neck thanks!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I guess it has been said before, I know this post is old but I just saw it . To be honest Lawdog I think all the guts showing doesn't really have a clean look to it. Maybe in person it looks better. But like it's been said many times before your mods are what makes the bike your own.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hardly Davidson said:
Swede, not bad. Lawdog, put your bike back together.
Thanks H D. I think it looks stock from the factory I will post a pic of my 109 in its fullest when I get home so anyone can see that it really does not look that bad.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You can take the filler off (it's on the LEFT side) without removing the panels - I just take the tank off - and set it carefully on the seat area sideways WITHOUT damaging the fuel line.

Next - take your fingers, and pop off the cap - reach in... you can do this with the tank on but for the next step you'll want the tank off anyway.

I use a battery tester device (one of those rubber balls you squeeze to suck up fluid) and a 1/2" poly hose. Thread the hose down off the end of a funnel from the top into the rad. Slowly fill the funnel - takes all of 5 minutes start to finish (better than removing the panels)

Once done you carefully take the cap, put it in and press it down. If you are half ways coordinated you won't lose the cap - if you do well you can always take the covers off like everyone else does.

Since I've torn apart the bike and tightened down all the clamps, I've solved all the rad line leak problems so I don't have to do this every three days anymore. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can see the little chrome cap under the headlight for coolant filling access.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
is it possible to use a squeeze bottle and push it up from the overflow tub hanging under the bike? If I don't get to the hardwear store I may need a plan c, plan a doing it the hard way plan b doing the mod to get at the cap and plan c pushing it up threw the over flow tube with a squeeze bottle? Has anyone tried it that way, plan c?

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
cbxer55 said:
If you read the thread I posted for you in the other thread,
there are ways you can add coolant without removing the side pieces.
A funnel with a piece of hose attached will work.
A syringe, available at most auto parts stores with a hose attachec will work.
You can just barely get your fingers in and remove the reservoir cap.
Then stick the hose in there and fill to your hearts content.
Just do not over-fill the reservoir.

BTW, your small leak can, if it is the same as mine was, takes all of, maybe 10 minutes to fix.
Remove the R/H air cleaner and the leak will be obvious.
use a small wrench and just lightly re-tighten the hose clamp on the coolant hose to the rear cylinder.
Put R/H air cleaner back on and motor on. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:
ya I've done that one already I think it sprung a new leak up top front there dripping onto the front cylinder head, well glad to now I can go up backward threw the over flow tube, thanks. I haven't had time to read all the post, busy busy last minute stuff and phoning the country side looking to see who has parts stocked for the 9 in Canada. i had it all apart once before 3rd service and hubby helped with checking one spark plug and that's it, I had to do everything else all by myself he was mad I took the bike appart, oh well LOL I'll have a plan c until i can get her into Suzuki dealer maybe swing some warranty if I'm lucky LOL LOL Mechanic hubby refusing to work at home :'( whats a girl to do but do it herself, If I'm not to bummed out I'll take it apart myself again to night as the service manual shows all the spots to tighten, Damm I should have done that earlier if one is leaking they are all going to leak at some point, need a lock washer or lock tight on them clamps, LOL I got a rocking rotor as well, dried out back bearing shaft and inner bits really rough, oh man and not one dam dealer has a dust seal on their shelf, Hubby was mad again he had to work on a new bike he called the dealer and we sent pictures they said they'd do what they can also the service manager was fired just found out so hmmm maybe I'll get my fuel recall done know, LOL it has been on their shelf for some time they didn't even call us, they have only sold 4 M109Rs you'd think they could have called me oh I'm mad all this could have been taken care of 2 weeks ago, and I wouldn't be stressed out getting ready for our little meet at Christina lake we are to arrive on the 16th for our room, the Alberta boys come on the 17th i think. then we all ride like the wind for 5 days out of Christina Lake/totem resort.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts