M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...in MARYLAND??!! ???

I've lived here for close to 30 years and cannot believe that this morning we were hit with an Earthquake that registered 3.6!! The epicenter of the quake was a mile from our house, and practically in the backyard of one of my clients! :eek:

Funny thing is, I woke up a little after 5:00 a.m. (not knowing what woke me), looked at the clock and went right back to sleep. We have noisy neighbors who leave for work right around that time, so I just assumed their door slamming is what woke me...since we live in a townhouse, if they slam their door hard enough, it literally shakes our walls!

Then, when I did wake up and start reading my emails, where I had people asking if I was alright, I was somewhat confused, LOL! Why wouldn't I be? :dontknow: I see mention of an Earthquake in some of the messages, turn on the News and find out that one hit Germantown and that's what woke me up this morning.

I would never move to Kansas cuz I'm scared to death of tornadoes, and I would never move to California cuz I'm scared to death of earthquakes...go figure, a 3.6 happens in friggin' Maryland!! :doh:

Any other locals feel/hear it?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Dang, Marry. First Canada has an earthquake which Michigan can feel, now Maryland....

The end is neeeeeear:D

·
Registered
634 Posts
Earthquake

Sorry that you got to experience an earthquake where you live, Mary.

Weirdly, a couple of years ago we had a 3.5 magnitude earth tremor, right here in Brisbane, Australia. As we never get them here in Brisbane, everyone freaked out, having never experienced one, and jammed the switchboards of emergency services and the Police department.

I was watching TV when it struck, and at the time it didn't even register with me as being anything unusual or anything to be at all concerned about. Having experienced quakes of that strength or stronger so many times during the 4 years I lived in Japan, I'd just become so accustomed to them, that I had tuned minor earthquakes like that out as being normal. It was only hours later, when I saw the sensational TV news reports about the event....that I released how significant it was, and that I ought to have reacted to it, because I was now home in Australia and not in Japan, where they are so commonplace. Fortunately I was not in the vicinity of Kobe, Japan when the Great Hanshin Earthquake of 1995 hit, killing more than 6434 residents. A few of my close friends were, and they were deeply shaken and traumatised by the event. I was there 2 weeks after the event, and it was a scene of devastation the likes of which I had never seen before.

Here's hoping there are no more earthquakes for you to go through in your area Mary.

I'm with you in regards to the Tornados ! I'd love to see the awesome power of one....but I'm not about to risk my life for the experience.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
It happened here at 5:05 am, I was already driving to work so I guess because I was driving I didn't feel it? Next thing I know my Mom and Girlfriend are calling to make sure everything was ok??? I didn't believe them at first but then they started talking about it on the radio......Weird, I was here but had no idea it was going on.......It's the story of my life, I always miss the good sh*t!^-^

·
Registered
285 Posts
I live right where that red dot is on the california part of the earthquake map and I hate them. I am glad you are okay. It doesnt matter how big or small the number of the earthquake is, crazy things can happen when the ground is shaking.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Dang, Marry. First Canada has an earthquake which Michigan can feel, now Maryland....

The end is neeeeeear:D
'bout a year and a half:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Banned
408 Posts
Logically speaking........................WE'RE ALL DEAD IN 2012. Fires, mudslides, hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, uprising in the middle east, terrorists, dictators, murderers & WAR. The signs are all here folks, kiss your ass goodbye in 2 1/2 years.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Logically speaking........................WE'RE ALL DEAD IN 2012. Fires, mudslides, hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, uprising in the middle east, terrorists, dictators, murderers & WAR. The signs are all here folks, kiss your ass goodbye in 2 1/2 years.
Always the optimist and bearer of positive news TVL65....I was trying to think back the last time you made an uplifting post.....nope couldn't think of one :doh: Glad all is well with you and Harris Mary.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I'm surprised you even felt a 3.6

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Come on 3.6 :dontknow: That is just a baby.

We have been having after shocks down in So Cal for the last couple of months in the 4 range, where the main one was a 6.2

I can feel for you though, if you don't like them, they can be scary, but we fell them here so regular, it is like a non issue any more, sort of like a free amusement park ride.:hot: Just as long as things aren't falling around you or the ground opening up.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm surprised you even felt a 3.6
I don't think I did feel it...when I woke up, I didn't know what awakened me, so I'm guessing I heard it, more than felt it. My daughter, on the other hand, felt it! She lives in the basement and her bed is against the wall...her foot was touching the wall and she said the walls were shaking and she heard a big loud noise, then some grumbling afterwards...she thought it was just another one of our bad thunderstorms that resembled an Earthquake, LOL!

Come on 3.6 :dontknow: That is just a baby.

We have been having after shocks down in So Cal for the last couple of months in the 4 range, where the main one was a 6.2

I can feel for you though, if you don't like them, they can be scary, but we fell them here so regular, it is like a non issue any more, sort of like a free amusement park ride.:hot: Just as long as things aren't falling around you or the ground opening up.
LOL, yeah, that's why I don't live there...can't even imagine how petrified I'd be if I was riding along and the street suddenly opened up and swallowed me and my bike! :yikes: I don't know how ya do it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts