Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Can't hear anyway, doesn't matter

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never used ear plugs while riding my previous bikes. The 109 isn't exceptionally loud, I think I just ride so much faster now, so the wind noise is the main reason I use them now. Just the foam bullet type work well for me. Curious as to how many others use them.
:doorag:

·
Registered
190 Posts
My ears are real sensitive to wind. If I wear an open helmet, I've got to wear plugs, otherwise my ears get plugged up, sometimes for two or three days (that feeling when you fly). I don't wear them with my full face helmet.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I wear them on the high way trips,but don't wear them around town. My wife got me started wearing them. She has used them for years,and I finally tried them. I didn't notice how much hearing damage I was doing to my ears(wind buffeting) until I tried them. They also make a difference on long rides. :D

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Depends on which helmet I wear..

When it's 99+ degrees out, the half shell goes on. I usually putter around so I'm not getting excessive wind roar. BUT on the highway, after an hour or so going 70+ mph. It usually has my ear ringing.

On early morning or excessive bug days, the Modus flip-face goes on. Ironically, the Modus resonates the exhaust tone much louder than the half shell. But it keeps me from walking into the office with yellow-greenish bug guts streaming down my face.

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
721 Posts
cbxer55 said:
I have used them in the past. My other bike is a 1981 Honda CBX with a 6-into-6 exhaust system
from Australia. It is a "Tad" loud. On long rides I wear plugs.
One of the bikes I sold to get the 109 was a 1972 Suzuki GT750. This is a water-cooled 2 stroke triple.
Mine had 3 K and N pod filters and a 3-into-3 expansion chamber exhaust. Loud only just starts to be accurate.
I wore plugs all the time when riding that puppy!
The 109 with its stock exhaust sounds just great. Dont know if I will change it, time will tell.
But right now I dont need plugs.

I cannot hear from my right ear due to too many bikes with loud pipes on the right side,
whether 4-into-1 or 6-into-1.

If you are yonger than me (45), and can hear out of both ears, take it easy on them.
You only get one set!

Robert Hill
Midwest City, OK.
GT 750 Water Buffalo !! :bigthumbsup:
That was one sweet ride in it's day....

Ear Plugs....
More than 50 MPH for longer than an Hr, ear plugs help alot.
It's the wind noise that gets ya. There have been times it took me 20 minutes to get my ears back.
But with plugs, just pull them out and you can hear fine : )

·
Registered
443 Posts
Around town I don't. If I am going any distance, say 30 miles or more, I always do. Full face, half or open helmets. It's not the pipes, it's the wind. Less stress, more comfort. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Moonbaby said:
What? :joke: :D
Exactly! :joke: :bigthumbsup: :joke: :p :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I occasionally wear them on longer rides just to tame the wind noise.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I just started wearing them with this bike. I have lost alot of hearing after working in Rock-n-Roll and NASCAR for the last ten years. The earplugs help alot. I have a pair that were made by a professional audiologist. He doesn't have web site but a quick search and you can find them. You can put different filters in them for different applications and what you actually want to hear. I wear them all day under my headset at the track and they are pretty comfortable. As a matter of fact I am standing in the middle of the infield at Bristol during final practice right now and have them in under my radio headset and the cars are just a dull roar to me.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
swagfndr said:
I just started wearing them with this bike. I have lost alot of hearing after working in Rock-n-Roll and NASCAR for the last ten years. The earplugs help alot. I have a pair that were made by a professional audiologist. He doesn't have web site but a quick search and you can find them. You can put different filters in them for different applications and what you actually want to hear. I wear them all day under my headset at the track and they are pretty comfortable. As a matter of fact I am standing in the middle of the infield at Bristol during final practice right now and have them in under my radio headset and the cars are just a dull roar to me.
That's interesting, but probably a bit more money that most would spend when the little bullet foam ones are so comfortable, cheap, and effective. I've bought some tan colored ones in the Pharmacy that are hardly noticeable when in, and have a NRR of 31/32. I can easily hear regular conversations with them, and they are more than effective on the bike (or when shooting rifles/handguns). What benefit do you get from having specially made earplugs over standard soft foam ones? BTW, why do you wear plugs under your headsets? I've worked several years at Rockingham as a Medic and we use the same headsets as all the infield guys with the soft strap across the head, hard band behind the neck, and the PTT button on the ear cover. The cars have always been pretty muffled when wearing the headset. Is it for when you pull one of the covers from your ear to talk or just to make them even quieter?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Half helmet = ear plugs, wind noise kills me
Full helmet = no ear plugs

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I wear them as much as I can when I ride.....if I have them.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Since drilling the outer plate in my exhaust I wear them... other wise my ears hurt for 2 days after a days riding.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
JUtah said:
Since drilling the outer plate in my exhaust I wear them... other wise my ears hurt for 2 days after a days riding.

Interesting. I have my outer plates drilled and two inner baffle walls in each pipe drilled too. I don't find the exhaust to be the least bit loud when riding. In fact, the wind noise more than cancels out the exhaust note from where I sit on my bike.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts