M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
I plan to at my next plug change. I've done some research on them and in testing done by car mags, they have been shown to give a bigger HP increase than any other plug tested. Even more than the very expensive multi-fire plug systems.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check some of the videos on the site.... they are from reputable shows that tested them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm talking about actual dyno testing results. Most plugs that say they increase HP is just hype. Not the E3s.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/spark-plugs.htm

http://green.autoblog.com/2007/10/21/dont-count-on-e3-spark-plugs-to-save-you-money-on-gas/

here's an example of how giving your car a tune up can make you think magic spark plugs work. notice he did not just change plugs, but is running premium plus octane boost. blowing all the gunk out of the carb and combustion chambers will make any old SBC run like a raped ape.
http://blog.cardomain.com/2008/07/16/e3-spark-plug-t/

All that really matters with spark in an engine is heat and duration. The longer and hotter the spark, the better ignition and combustion you'll get. This has MUCH more to do with the ignition system itself than the plug.

I should also add that no matter the number of electrodes, you'll only ever get ONE spark. One electrode will ionize faster than the others and become the conduction path.

I just put a set of .99 cent plugs and cheap-o wires on my gf's neon. that thing runs like a champ. probably gained 20hp.

Unless you are modded and require a different heat range or are demanding more from your ignition system, stick with OEM plugs.

·
Registered
961 Posts
reputable shows that get money for advertising E3's.
They tested the plugs on PowerBlock TV and there were substantial gains using the E3s. Visit PowerBlockTV.com and view the video and dyno test on a mule 350. I was impressed...so much I bought a set, but I haven't installed them yet. I think it was legit...

·
Registered
55 Posts
They tested the plugs on PowerBlock TV and there were substantial gains using the E3s. Visit PowerBlockTV.com and view the video and dyno test on a mule 350. I was impressed...so much I bought a set, but I haven't installed them yet. I think it was legit...
:congrats:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
It's all about trial and error.:dontknow: what's wrong with trying them? If they work, great! If they don't...well you didn't mortgage your house so your out a small amount of money:bigthumbsup:

I say go for it. People said the same things about Lucas oil when it first came out. And now look;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Its all marketing-
A friend tried them and posted this on our local car club board
DO NOT BUY THESE PIECE OF GARBAGE FREAKING STUPID PLUGS. I bought them for my 5.3 pickup and went from an average MPG of 16.5 to 14... Not only that but I started having problems with my transmission when I put them in. Driving down the road the torque converter would shutter and do wierd crap. Then it got so bad that just sitting at a stop light the truck would idle up and down and shake, then when you put your foot in it to take off it felt like the tranny was slipping and the truck would jerk and surge around. Come to find out, it was the freaking plugs misfiring!!! They were so bad that I almost replaced the transmision because of it! I put Irridum plugs back in the truck and it runs like a top!! So I repeat myself when I say.. DO NOT BUY DIAMOND FIRE PLUGS!! They are garbage! I can't believe how bad they are. I took them back to Checkers and they gave me my money back. They also explained to me that a lot of people have been bringing them back in because of problems they have been having with them.
Dont forget those "reputable TV shows" are also recieving sponsorship dollars

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Spark plugs don't increase power. They either work or they don't work. Anyone who claims they have a "miracle" plug is pushing snake oil....

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
It's all about trial and error.:dontknow: what's wrong with trying them? If they work, great! If they don't...well you didn't mortgage your house so your out a small amount of money:bigthumbsup:

I say go for it. People said the same things about Lucas oil when it first came out. And now look;)
I guess there's nothing wrong with a little trial and error.....with someone else's money! Me? I'll stick with the regular 'ol NGKs....

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Spark plugs don't increase power. They either work or they don't work. Anyone who claims they have a "miracle" plug is pushing snake oil....
If it increases the efficiency of the burn, then it could increase the torque.

Will it be noticeable on a dyno sheet? Maybe. There are many factors which could lean yes or no.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
If it increases the efficiency of the burn, then it could increase the torque.

Will it be noticeable on a dyno sheet? Maybe. There are many factors which could lean yes or no.
The only way I would believe a particular spark plug increased power over another is if there were dyno runs done that clearly showed that all other aspects of the bike were exactly the same and conditions were exactly the same for all test runs. I've never seen any such data, therefore I don't believe there's any power advantage offered by any particular plug over another. I say the recommended NGKs are as good as any.....BTW, GO REDWINGS!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts