M109 Riders banner

1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I was thinking it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to dyno results, the mods, and if known-- the before and after results.

There seems to be some random posts with individual results, discussion and complements, but I can't find a thread that is dedicated solely to dyno results and added mods to achieve the gains.

If there is a thread like this maybe someone can find it and revive it. It would be nice to have one place to look and post as we get our machines tuned.

Realizing that the thread will be mostly just "interesting." vs. technically "helpful." It will still be cool to have a list of all the amazing power runs. Also, I think there are a number of enthusiasts out there that have done additional deep mods like porting and polishing, cams, NO2, turbos, etc. Those would be entertaining to see, too. C109 and M90 riders jump in and post, as well.

So, post away! Add pics of the dyno sheets, if possible, regardless, please cut and paste the following with your info if applicable:

HP/Torque:

Year:

Mods:

Fuel management and settings:

Before and after differences:

Location of shop and prices to tune:

1/4 mile times:

Additional comments, suggestions, and observations of your experience at the dyno:

Please add any other suggestions to make this an informative thread. I would start with my results, but haven't done it, yet. So, I'm looking forward to all the posts to get me motivated.

Thanks!
:bigthumbsup:
MT

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Intresting thread, but a can of worms as there are alot of different dynos out there with many traveling ones that dont seem to be calibrated or using SAE . with that said: had this done last spring

Hyperchargers
3/4 gutted exhaust
Pc3
Tuned (way too rich) will be redone this year
Sae 5 if I remember
118HP 109TQ
Dyno jet certified machine and tech

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
QUOTE=Intresting thread, but a can of worms as there are alot of different dynos out there with many traveling ones that dont seem to be calibrated or using SAE

Very true.... and most, I presume, will be similar numbers with similar mods, but should be interesting, non the less. I was looking last night at some very old threads, like some from '06 when the bikes were just rolling off the production lines and no one had any after market stuff, yet. They were showing Stock v. K & N runs with a 5-7 HP gain (which shoots the theory into the ground that these bikes are "running lean from the factory" and just increasing intake won't give you anything without added fuel to the added air.) I think LaMonster was one of the first to spend time with these on the Dyno. There were some other runs showing a 2-3 HP gain from only adding a TRE. Which I thought was interesting, since supposedly, the only thing a TRE does is fake the bike into thinking it's in 4th gear all the time. Don't you do a dyno pull in 4th gear, anyway? Maybe someone that is better than me with technology can pull some of these old threads into this one. If you search "dyno results" there are a lot of threads with discussions going way back to the beginning of 109 time.

So, yea, maybe a can of worms, but still an opportunity to gather everyone's info, including some of the original runs, way back in the day, with their ideas of what was working and why and put it in one place. Maybe, once there is enough data here, we can throw up a spreadsheet showing the different options of tuning and mods with their results. Knowledge is power, perhaps literally here. HA HA.

Cheers.

MT
[/SIZE]

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Here's Mine

Big air intakes
Roadburner exhaust
FI2000
ATRE (don't really matter since dyno run is in 4th anyway)
10K miles

·
Registered
718 Posts
2008 LE -
Stock Run 111.52 HP, 98.93 Tq
Big Shots, PCIII custom maping - 114.41, 103.1
K&N w/ Ducks (aprox. full open cover) Custom maping - 121.12, 108.42.

All on the same Dyno with the Same Tuner/Mechanic.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2008 LE -
Stock Run 111.52 HP, 98.93 Tq
Big Shots, PCIII custom maping - 114.41, 103.1
K&N w/ Ducks (aprox. full open cover) Custom maping - 121.12, 108.42.

All on the same Dyno with the Same Tuner/Mechanic.
Nice improvements. The exhaust, without intakes sure didn't do much, even with fuel management. But when you opened up the intake and gave her some fuel, WOW! Pretty much 10% increase. I would think those kind of changes you could definitely feel, right?

So, I'm wondering. Since doing my mods and playing around with the fi2000, I am able to break the rear tire loose if I gun it in 1st after already rolling (so, not using the clutch to do it), and if I'm in a lean starting or finishing a turn, that tire will let go real easy. This didn't happen for me when she was stock. Are these the kind of butt differences you are feeling? Also, I get a little spin at the 1-2 shift on hard accel.

Comments... anyone on real world ways of noticing power improvements. Any other definitive, objective methods you all are using to test and tune without dyno?

MT

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yea, the air mad a big differnce to the mix. That is just proof of why you can do one or the other, but not both without some kind of fuel modification.

It is stronger without question, but the custom dyno work smoothed the throttle curve out to a nice slope. It will break the tire loose for sure without the clutch and I can roll a nice black line coming out of a curve.

·
Registered
643 Posts
2008 R2, all tuning done by same shop/same dyno SAE 5

Stock: 106 hp, 101 ft/lbs tq

Mods:
-K&N only 110.5 hp, 104 ft/lbs before exhaust
-K&N, Hacker Mayhem, PCIII 116.6 hp, 110.7 ft/lbs

Roughly 3k miles on bike at the time

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
QUOTE=Intresting thread, but a can of worms as there are alot of different dynos out there with many traveling ones that dont seem to be calibrated or using SAE

Very true.... and most, I presume, will be similar numbers with similar mods, but should be interesting, non the less. I was looking last night at some very old threads, like some from '06 when the bikes were just rolling off the production lines and no one had any after market stuff, yet. They were showing Stock v. K & N runs with a 5-7 HP gain (which shoots the theory into the ground that these bikes are "running lean from the factory" and just increasing intake won't give you anything without added fuel to the added air.)

Cheers.

MT
[/SIZE]
You misunderstand the results...the 109 does run lean but only up to about 3500 rpm's then it gets rich...real rich at certain rpms...max power is not derived at lower rpm ranges so in the upper ranges where you tune for power is where the filters made more and that's where the a/f was richest to begin with...hope this clears this up for you.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You misunderstand the results...the 109 does run lean but only up to about 3500 rpm's then it gets rich...real rich at certain rpms...max power is not derived at lower rpm ranges so in the upper ranges where you tune for power is where the filters made more and that's where the a/f was richest to begin with...hope this clears this up for you.
Yep, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for your comment.

MT

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bump

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
This sounds fun. I will add dyno sheets as soon as I can get it on a dyno.
Year 2008 LE
Mods, Cobra 2000FI, GoPro ATRE, Edelbrocks, Raw Performance Black Short pipe.
Fuel Settings Factory so far
1/8 mile times [email protected]
Dyno numbers TBD.

·
Registered
810 Posts
My Results...question about redline

Here are my dyno results, the map I was using was off quite a bit! My question the dyno shows up to about 6600 rpm and top speed of 130, is that right or did he do something wrong. I have thunder tornados, tre, power commander and stock pipes with scorpion tips and small baffles added. My mechanic just added the gear indicator, maybe he got the wrong one (with tre built in?)

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Here are my dyno results, the map I was using was off quite a bit! My question the dyno shows up to about 6600 rpm and top speed of 130, is that right or did he do something wrong. I have thunder tornados, tre, power commander and stock pipes with scorpion tips and small baffles added. My mechanic just added the gear indicator, maybe he got the wrong one (with tre built in?)
He may not have been redlining it. He may have just stopped when the HP started to fall off. My guy didn't run it to redline either. He stopped when it reached peak HP.

Yeah! Your mixture was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy off.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Holly Intakes, scorpion tips and pcIII

Sae 5

·
Registered
810 Posts
He may not have been redlining it. He may have just stopped when the HP started to fall off. My guy didn't run it to redline either. He stopped when it reached peak HP.

Yeah! Your mixture was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy off.
I guess so, I guess everyone should get a dyno and tune! I think i was using an old map from McCoy holley intakes and cobra swepts. I just added a new tach and it doesn't show redline, anyways I'm going back to the stock tach since the new one is led and I can't see it in the sun.

I would still think the HP won't dropoff until 7300 or 7500 rpm when the rev limited kicked in:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Power peak and red line are two different things. Our bikes peak about 6800. So in 4th it is about 130 mph.
As far as running rich I dropped my middle setting on the Cobra a bit and my ET is now [email protected]
Maybe a can of worms but they are very interesting worms. Thanks for starting this.
This ought to be a Sticky.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Power peak and red line are two different things. Our bikes peak about 6800. So in 4th it is about 130 mph.
As far as running rich I dropped my middle setting on the Cobra a bit and my ET is now [email protected]
Maybe a can of worms but they are very interesting worms. Thanks for starting this.
This ought to be a Sticky.
How do we make it a "sticky?"

PS Still looking for someone with some before and after with the new Cobra Power Pro.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

At what rpm are you shifting when "screaming" your 1/8 mile runs. Are you just barely getting into third?

1 - 20 of 240 Posts