M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I know there are alot of questions and opinions out there concerning these...so I want to add one more:

I was chatting with a guy last night who chromes and polishes wheels...I think I am having him do mine as I can drive them over there instead of paying for shipping, etc.

But that is not the point...:D

The point is, he stated they use chrome wheel weights and I told him I was seriously considering using the beads...that I had heard lots of good things about them, etc., and he stated he has seen what they do to the inside of the tire and they wear it down, he wouldn't trust them, etc.

That has me wondering...anyone seen interior tire damage or significan wear from these?

He also polishes hubs, etc., and advised me not to have the hub chromed as he has had more than 15 guys who have had gear failure in their hubs after chroming do to the chrome flaking off inside and getting into the gears.

Thoughts on that as well...??

Seemed like a capable guy, didn't come across as arrogant or brash...was just stating his opinion to me...so I was not put off (you know the types I am referring to :-\)...

I just want to consider all angles before I make a move...which will be soon.

Thanks!

Chip

·
Registered
501 Posts
i have been using dyna beads for a while now. i have seen little or no wear on the tire in all the tires i have changed.( i change at least 3 rears on my 9 a year) the wear if any is so minute i wouldn't worry about it. i wouldn't want chrome weights,chrome can peel off of them just as easy.
as for the hub it sounds like bad chrome. i could be wrong maybe someone else can add too that.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Nope. My last rear tire lived it's whole life balanced with beads until I wore the thing out. The inside of my old tire looked perfect with no visible wear from the beads. I transfered the old beads to my new tire.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Well, I have changed several tires that had been runnning beads (that I installed), and I have seen zero damage to tire or rim. Realize that in order for the beads (1/64th" in dia. at best) to wear the tire from the inside it would take excessively more than 10,000miles to see it---your tire will not make it that long.
Chroming the hub, well, I suppose it could flake in the interior---but what does that say about the chromer. Also, only sealing issues have been reported. Oh, the gears are much harder than a chrome flake and NO one has ever reported gear failure due to chroming.
I know others will chime in on the beads and the hub, so don't just take my opinion.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
i have been using dyna beads for a while now. i have seen little or no wear on the tire in all the tires i have changed.( i change at least 3 rears on my 9 a year) the wear if any is so minute i wouldn't worry about it. i wouldn't want chrome weights,chrome can peel off of them just as easy.
as for the hub it sounds like bad chrome. i could be wrong maybe someone else can add too that.
3 a year, wow!

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
First I have heard of anyone having issues w/beads. I've been running them for a while now w/o issues.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Been running beads for 3 yrs. No problems at all. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

Can't say on the hub mine is polished. :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
If the chromer goes about things properly, there should be no reason the chrome should flake off inside the hub....If he has personally had 15 customers who have had damaged rear ends due to chrome flaking, I wouldn't use him!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I bet if he was selling the beads instead of the weights he would be singing a different tune. Been using them for three years and I have chrome rims and my hub is chrome with no problems what so ever. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I have read about some problems with dyna-beads caused by a substance inside the tire. The beads would clump together because of something left behind inside the tire from the manufacturing process. But the people that had problems just wiped the inside of the tires with hot soapy water to clean it out and didn't have any problems after that.

I will continue to use dyna-beads since I have had absolutely zero problems using them.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
3 a year, wow!
AND...That's just his. Not including mine and a few other guys around PA and WV.:bigthumbsup:

The Beads r the best! You'll love em.:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
I have read about some problems with dyna-beads caused by a substance inside the tire. The beads would clump together because of something left behind inside the tire from the manufacturing process. But the people that had problems just wiped the inside of the tires with hot soapy water to clean it out and didn't have any problems after that.

I will continue to use dyna-beads since I have had absolutely zero problems using them.
That's why I clean mine out, at least do a good wiping inside, before installing the tire and beads. Some may have enough mold release for the beads to stick though I haven't seen it yet. I just do it for a precaution. And I can see if someone mounted them and used too much lube that it could cause the beads to lump inside. I'm careful with the amount of lube and where I put it on the tire because of that.

I've had two sets on mine that used them, one set went over 12,000 miles and the beads were still just beads inside with just a few flakes of rubber flashing. You'll get some flashing off the inside of the tire with or without beads. I've had car tires that collected small balls of it inside and they weren't using beads. Bike tires tend to have less rubber flashing inside than car tires.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Have any of you tried Ride On?
http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html

A buddy of mine who uses it says you don't need wheel weights although I don't see anything on their site that claims you can go without. People do say it smooths out their ride tho. Just wondering. Looks like a good product.
Like Slime, good for balance on a new tire. Beads continue to re-balance as the tire wears

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If the chromer goes about things properly, there should be no reason the chrome should flake off inside the hub....If he has personally had 15 customers who have had damaged rear ends due to chrome flaking, I wouldn't use him!
OK, great inputs, all...and I appreciate the feedback. I will go with the beads as I originally planned.

Nick, I didn't mean to imply this guy did the chroming of the hubs that were cause of the problems he was discussing...only that he has known of that many that had problems...

He is over your way...in Ypsilanti...so that makes it nice and easy for me to get my rim chromed and get the tires mounted...

Thanks again, all...

It is why I love this site!

Chip

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have dyna beads but have not removed the tire yet so no input as far as that. As far as chroming the hub,a good chromer will not chrome the inside of the hub.When I did mine I disasembled and reasembled the hub.Some areas needed to be cleaned up abit along the edges where the bearing go in.Medium grit sandpaper did the most of the job. Dremil had to be used in a couple of spots but no big deal.I installed new bearings and new seals.Putting it back together takes time to make sure everything sits and fits properly.2000 miles no leaks.Good Luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Nick, I didn't mean to imply this guy did the chroming of the hubs that were cause of the problems he was discussing...only that he has known of that many that had problems...

He is over your way...in Ypsilanti...so that makes it nice and easy for me to get my rim chromed and get the tires mounted...

Thanks again, all...

It is why I love this site!

Chip
OK. I didn't know whether he had been thr chromer or not. I'll stick with my point, if if is dipped right there should be no reason why it should flake and cause any issues internally to the hub. That being said, my rims have a small bubble or two the size of the head of a pencil.

Good luck, Chip.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts