M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my rear 260 metz installed today, LOVE IT! Get the front installed tomorrow.

I also had the shop do a test to see if we could notice or confirm that they do work.

He first balanced the tire,
He the added an ounce opposite the balancing weights to throw off the balance,
Checked to see that it was off one ounce, and it was.
He then added the beads and ran the balance again.

Guess what ---

It was still off balance.

Did we do something wrong?

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
why did you add balancing weights? The beads are put in so you don't have to use weights.

Why didn't you just put on a tire and add the beads. Then put the wheel back on the balancer and test

·
Registered
241 Posts
You can't check the Dyna beads on a static balance machine as they are not attached to the tire or rim. It will either not register or throw off the reading, but you will NOT get an accurate reading.

You didn't do anything wrong except your test was faulty.

Better test would be to leave the weights on and also have the Dyna Beads in the tire. Go for a ride, then remove the weights and go for a ride again. It will still be smooth. The extra Dyna beads not needed for balancing will just spread out around the tire in an even formation. Once you remove the 1 ounce weights, then the Dyna beads will change locations, some of them will go to balance against that missing weight, the rest will again spread out around the tire. It does kinda sound like voodoo science, but they work.

Dyna Beads says to not use weights, and most don't for cosmetic reasons. I always thought it would be good to balance first, then add Dyna Beads as a continual rebalancing operation, but if you don't like the weights you can certainly take them off. If your tire size is between 1-2-3 ounces, go with one extra ounce instead of shorting it.

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
Had my rear 260 metz installed today, LOVE IT! Get the front installed tomorrow.

I also had the shop do a test to see if we could notice or confirm that they do work.

He first balanced the tire,
He the added an ounce opposite the balancing weights to throw off the balance,
Checked to see that it was off one ounce, and it was.
He then added the beads and ran the balance again.

Guess what ---

It was still off balance.

Did we do something wrong?
How many oz of beads did you add?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
why did you add balancing weights? The beads are put in so you don't have to use weights.

Why didn't you just put on a tire and add the beads. Then put the wheel back on the balancer and test
I still have the front to do tomorrow.
I will ask him to first check the balance and then add the beads, no weights.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can't check the Dyna beads on a static balance machine as they are not attached to the tire or rim. It will either not register or throw off the reading, but you will NOT get an accurate reading.

You didn't do anything wrong except your test was faulty.

Better test would be to leave the weights on and also have the Dyna Beads in the tire. Go for a ride, then remove the weights and go for a ride again. It will still be smooth. The extra Dyna beads not needed for balancing will just spread out around the tire in an even formation. Once you remove the 1 ounce weights, then the Dyna beads will change locations, some of them will go to balance against that missing weight, the rest will again spread out around the tire. It does kinda sound like voodoo science, but they work.

Dyna Beads says to not use weights, and most don't for cosmetic reasons. I always thought it would be good to balance first, then add Dyna Beads as a continual rebalancing operation, but if you don't like the weights you can certainly take them off. If your tire size is between 1-2-3 ounces, go with one extra ounce instead of shorting it.
The owner/operator/ shop sweeper said the off balance on tires is so small you wont see a diff unless your way up there on the mph but he wanted to test the idea of dynabeads and would be the first to admit they work. He did the test his way the first time. I will ask him to do it as above post next.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I think if you were to read the innovative balancing website you'd see an explanation as to why dynabeads don't work on a spin balancing machine.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
i had the same problem with not balancing. the local tire shop laughed at me saying "you know these things dont work right?" he couldnt get them to balance out right. i called the dynabead guy and explained what was happening and he said tire balancing machines spin up to 35 mph and thats not fast enough to make the beads do what theyre supposed to do.

that was 3 tires ago and i still love them. tires last longer and i dont have any wobble or bad wear at all. i dont care what the tire guys say, im keeping the beads.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I wouldn't care what the machine says, I know they work because I used them for 9,000 miles this year and had absolutely no vibrations from my tires.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Dyna beads work. I have gone through life cycle of 1 front and 2 backs with dynabeads only. No wheel/tire vibration.

Last time I had the tires swapped out the guy was able to get about 80% of the beads into the next tires... so I didn't even have to use new beads! Plus, without having to balance the wheel, the guy only charged me $20 to swap each tire when he normally charges $40 per.

·
Registered
147 Posts
?

Iv been reading these tyre bead posts with interest,iv never heard of these beads here in the uk,from what you guys say they seem to work,just so iv got this right,the beads are solid ceramic balls that rotate inside the tyre?does the tyre fitter just pop them in before he mounts the tyre on the rim? will give them a try next tyre change if i can get hold of some.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
735 Posts
dyna bead slush

I have a friend I contacted yesterday and ask him about the dyna beads. he didn't like them because at slow speed it sounded like slush in the tires and were actually loud enough so that you could hear them. Other than that he said they balanced his tires out when running but didn't like the slushy sound at low speed and went back to chrome weights on his rims.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
How many Dynabead threads do we need going at the same time :dontknow:

I never say this kind of stuff but you know if you just "SEARCH" this topic you'll find more information than you care to know about it on here.

Same goes for "Which pipes sound better", "What about a 160 front tire", "What's the biggest rear tire I can use", "Do I need a FI module"...etc and a slew of other been there done that topics that have been talked about ad nauseam! :eek:

Now if you'll excuse me I have a new "Oil Change Question" thread to post. :joke:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I have a friend I contacted yesterday and ask him about the dyna beads. he didn't like them because at slow speed it sounded like slush in the tires and were actually loud enough so that you could hear them. Other than that he said they balanced his tires out when running but didn't like the slushy sound at low speed and went back to chrome weights on his rims.
He must have bat ears.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
They've been in business for around 30 years and we are wondering if they work? Of course they work, they have been proven time and time again. They are in use on everything from scooters to airplanes. They are real popular on large trucks. Like someone said, ride it without the beads and then put them in, you'll be convinced then. Otherwise just run the lead weights and deal with the scratched wheels and ugly weights. To each their own. Just saying.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Iv been reading these tyre bead posts with interest,iv never heard of these beads here in the uk,from what you guys say they seem to work,just so iv got this right,the beads are solid ceramic balls that rotate inside the tyre?does the tyre fitter just pop them in before he mounts the tyre on the rim? will give them a try next tyre change if i can get hold of some.:bigthumbsup:
Yes sir,

They go in the tire (tyre :bigthumbsup: ) as you mount it or thru the valve stem afterwards.
My installer used a whiskey flask funnel and a short piece of clear tube over the end of the flask and the valve stem to shake them in.

:doorag:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How many Dynabead threads do we need going at the same time :dontknow:

I never say this kind of stuff but you know if you just "SEARCH" this topic you'll find more information than you care to know about it on here.

Same goes for "Which pipes sound better", "What about a 160 front tire", "What's the biggest rear tire I can use", "Do I need a FI module"...etc and a slew of other been there done that topics that have been talked about ad nauseam! :eek:

Now if you'll excuse me I have a new "Oil Change Question" thread to post. :joke:
:bigthumbsup:
It takes as many as it takes. :D

I think its the idea of

1. latest update
2. new and improved
3. or just like to post to look busy when my wife has honey do's

:bigthumbsup::joke:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts