M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went for a cruise today, but after I had stopped for a while, when I went to start it back up the starter sounded like it turned once then nothing. I tried again and it fired but then died almost immediately. I then tried again and gave it some throttle and it started. When I arrived home it did the same thing. It's on the B-Tender now but am wondering why it had problems staying started when it did fire.
It did this to me only once last summer and almost didn't start back up.

???Maybe Battery or starter or plugs or all? :-X Anyone run into this before?

·
Registered
23 Posts
starting

Ihave had a similar hard start with my 9. after running for a while in hot weather. I figured it was a compression issue since the 9 is 10.5 to 1. Had the same problem on a higher compresion Harley bagger.I believe a heavier duty battery like an odyssee would solve the problem. dont know if the 9 has automatic compression releases or not?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dont know if the 9 has automatic compression releases or not?
not that I know of anyway. I hope it's just the battery. Maybe someone else will chime in that had similar issues then resolved it with a new batt. :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Ditto

not that I know of anyway. I hope it's just the battery. Maybe someone else will chime in that had similar issues then resolved it with a new batt. :dontknow:
Mine did that again last week, and I have an Odyssey battery. It has done this pretty regularly since 2006, but it always starts. Others say the same thing, so I'm just used to it being that way.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
It seems to be the nature of the beast, Starter gets hot, engine is hot, and I would hit the button and it would crank once, Like the jug was full of water, LOL It wasn't. And i hit the starter again, it fires right up, When mine is hot it also will die every once in a while after it starts, I just have to give it a little gas, It is like it floods when hot. Not a big for me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so far .....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Try cleaning both ends of the battery earth( ground) lead thoroughly. I had a very similar issue .

:super: Gez

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,862 Posts
It does have an automatic compression release built into the exhaust cams. It holds the a valve or valves, not sure if it's on both exhaust valves in each head or not, open until just below cranking speed. Then when cranking speed is reached it lets the valves close so it can fire.

A weak battery could be slow about getting it to cranking speed before the compression release closes. I know mine has done the same thing before, crank it and it feels like it comes up on compression and stops cold. It usually takes a couple attempts to get it to fire after that.

Something that helped mine was not letting off the starter until it started. I think we're so used to them starting almost immediately that we let off the starter too soon. Try consciously holding the button down until it actually starts and see if that helps. It has a starter clutch that will kick it out when it starts if you hold it too long.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's the exact problem I had with mine. Warm it up, ride around the corner to a friends house, talk a little while, then no-start. I ran several checks and thought it was the positive battery cable (it seemed flimsy), changed it to a heavier cable but still had the no-start after warm. I'm also sure my battery was undersized..it was a 14Ah instead of the recommended 18Ah.
Went with the Gbat and all is fine now.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the exact problem I had with mine. Warm it up, ride around the corner to a friends house, talk a little while, then no-start. I ran several checks and thought it was the positive battery cable (it seemed flimsy), changed it to a heavier cable but still had the no-start after warm. I'm also sure my battery was undersized..it was a 14Ah instead of the recommended 18Ah.
Went with the Gbat and all is fine now.
Interesting. So no more prob? ???

I thought Cap'n Nemo's post summed 'er up purdy good. :bigthumbsup:

Zoom, I used to have a car that I had to keep cranking to start! lol! oh the memories:joke:

Thanks for the input guys ...I feel better now. :bow:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts