M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a really good deal on a Dunlop D220 but not sure if its a good tire. Any advise would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Found a really good deal on a Dunlop D220 but not sure if its a good tire. Any advise would be great. Thanks
im going to do the roadsmart.

its a 16060
I haven't been able to find anything from Dunlop for running a tire made for a rear fitment up front. Everything I have read shows that Dunlop does not reccomend doing what Avon and Metzeler will allow. This is why I am running Avons now.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocenter_tiretips.asp?id=2#tip

·
Registered
327 Posts
I am moving back to metz after my accident at the meet. The metz 160 looked like a smoother curve. I never like the profile of the dunnie 150 d251 tire i bought (almost pointy). I don't think I necessarily would have avoided going down with another tire, but I think I would have had a better chance.

I think I will even move back to the metz rear as I don't like how the dunnie 250 rounds over at the edges. The metz has a round profile all the way across.

I was making the case on other threads a few months ago for the dunnie rear based on cost (1/2 the cost and 50% better mileage = 1/3 the cost per mile), but coming around to my ass on the line makes it worth the cost.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I have nothing negative to say about my Dunlop E3's that were on my 9, but after putting new Avons on my 9 there is a HUGE difference. I think most of it came from going to a 160/60/18 in the front, but the rear end feels more planted and easier to transition through esses. You might save a couple bucks on the Dunlops but do yourself a favor and spend a the extra 60-70 bucks and go with the Avons or Metzelers. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
just my 2 cents but not every rider on a m109 (or even on this site) is carving up roads, if he is a straight road rider, he probably will not get any benefit from the improved ride, and higher cost of an Avon or Metzler. Both of my 109's were purchased with flat spots on the tires because the riders just rode around town, nothing adventurous. So if your are riding around town, to the office and on the freeway. I'd say go for the $95 dollar shipped, but if you ride like JD, you might hate that tire regardless of the price.
I'm just sayin....

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Go shinko most local stealers should have or can get the 733 that will fit the 9

·
Registered
567 Posts
I haven't been able to find anything from Dunlop for running a tire made for a rear fitment up front. Everything I have read shows that Dunlop does not reccomend doing what Avon and Metzeler will allow. This is why I am running Avons now.
If you just read the standard press from any tire manufacturer they'll tell you to run a tire only in the position and direction as intended. Unofficially, they'll tell you it's OK to run a rear radial up front with the tread reversed. If I remember right Hink got an email response from the Dunlop folks saying "yes, you can run the tire on the front with the tread reversed" or something to that effect.

I'm running the roadsmart 160 up front and it's fine. They say never to mix radial and bias ply too, but over the years I've known a LOT of riders who run bias ply on the front and radial on the back (not the other way 'round though). Personally I will not do it but I know a bunch of folks who do.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
If you just read the standard press from any tire manufacturer they'll tell you to run a tire only in the position and direction as intended. Unofficially, they'll tell you it's OK to run a rear radial up front with the tread reversed. If I remember right Hink got an email response from the Dunlop folks saying "yes, you can run the tire on the front with the tread reversed" or something to that effect.

I'm running the roadsmart 160 up front and it's fine. They say never to mix radial and bias ply too, but over the years I've known a LOT of riders who run bias ply on the front and radial on the back (not the other way 'round though). Personally I will not do it but I know a bunch of folks who do.
Well I haven't called any tire manufacturers, I have only gone by what I have found on the internet. If Dunlop says (per their website that I sited above) they don't recommend running it a tire in reverse I won't do it, but if it works well for you by all means go ahead.

Avon and Metzeler on the other hand openly say that it is ok to run a tire reversed. I will trust their engineers and R&D department and stick with their products to run a 160.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Well I haven't called any tire manufacturers, I have only gone by what I have found on the internet. If Dunlop says (per their website that I sited above) they don't recommend running it a tire in reverse I won't do it, but if it works well for you by all means go ahead.

Avon and Metzeler on the other hand openly say that it is ok to run a tire reversed. I will trust their engineers and R&D department and stick with their products to run a 160.
It really has nothing to do with the brand of the tire. It's all about the belt orientation, hence reversing the direction when putting the rear tire on front. So whether you're running one of the Dunnie roadsmart rears or the metz rear on the front, as long as you have the tread reversed, neither is "safer" than the other. But like you say...ride within your comfort level. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
just my 2 cents but not every rider on a m109 (or even on this site) is carving up roads, if he is a straight road rider, he probably will not get any benefit from the improved ride, and higher cost of an Avon or Metzler. Both of my 109's were purchased with flat spots on the tires because the riders just rode around town, nothing adventurous. So if your are riding around town, to the office and on the freeway. I'd say go for the $95 dollar shipped, but if you ride like JD, you might hate that tire regardless of the price.
I'm just sayin....
what is the price of the tire

1 - 20 of 26 Posts