M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a breakdown, still not sure whats wrong. Just topped out on a hill, heading down the other side, no warning, and I had a hellish noise come from underneath me, and no power. Gave it some gas, and the noise got worse. Seems like I still have a clutch, but the bike wont move, in any gear. Just makes a horrible grinding sound. I did have a problem with my '06, this is the '07. The spline let go on the drive shaft of the '06, and this sounds similar, but a bit different. I'm hoping is it the front drive shaft, or u joint. Anybdoy else run into this? Is it hard to take the drive shaft apart? -thanks guys

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I had a breakdown, still not sure whats wrong. Just topped out on a hill, heading down the other side, no warning, and I had a hellish noise come from underneath me, and no power. Gave it some gas, and the noise got worse. Seems like I still have a clutch, but the bike wont move, in any gear. Just makes a horrible grinding sound. I did have a problem with my '06, this is the '07. The spline let go on the drive shaft of the '06, and this sounds similar, but a bit different. I'm hoping is it the front drive shaft, or u joint. Anybdoy else run into this? Is it hard to take the drive shaft apart? -thanks guys
There really is no front shaft. The shaft has two pieces splined together. The problem is either at the rear spline to the rear diff. or you ate the dog ears in the secondary. Hink got you going in the right direction. I would pull the secondary firsy. It will tell all that is wrong---easier to do that anyway. Let us know if we can help.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Just curious, has your '07 been lowered? was your '06?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it apart last nite, cant really see anything wrong with the parts, have to pull it out of the housing. Is that spring putting on a lot of pressure, or can I just pull out the 4 bolts?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[email protected]#! You were dead on! I had the same thing happen to my '06, but it made a way defferent sound. Got it apart tonight, and there it was, a dusty pile of rust. I'm gonna take it to the dealer in the am and see what they will do for me.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Jeez...that's ugly dry. More lube in an 80 year old woman than is in there.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went to the dealer today-turns out they did this same job on this bike 2 years and 30,000 km ago. There was supposed to be a seal in there, but no sign of it . They are gonna give me the parts at cost, and I'm on my own. Thats something, anyways. Total cost $ 173.00.Could be worse.

G

·
If they did the work and left the seal out they should do more than that. I would complain to Suzuki corporate and the verious automotive oversite and regulatory agencies in your area. If they don't fix it for free. That could have led to a serious accident and they are liable for that. That is negligent and faulty repair work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Me To

Ya that happened to me to, good thing i was just pulling into my driveway as it happened. I had to replace my drive shaft-$160, and the coupler-$40. I thought that my tranny took a **** on me, that would have sucked. The shop said they would grease the spines every other tire change, because they didn't think suzuki did when they built it. So the Problem should be done with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts