M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to ask the forum about the drive shaft oil change, how do I do it and how much oil is supposed to go into it. I just changed the engine oil from regular oil to RED LINE Synthetics. 3.8 qts. I also put on a K&N oil filter.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I wanted to ask the forum about the drive shaft oil change, how do I do it and how much oil is supposed to go into it. I just changed the engine oil from regular oil to RED LINE Synthetics. 3.8 qts. I also put on a K&N oil filter.
??? Differential fluid or Engine oil? There is no drive shaft oil, you just need to grease the drive shaft to service it. And for the record do not put 3.8 quarts in your motor unless you want a leaky left air cleaner. It is 3.4, but I put in 3 then check after an oil change since not all the oil is drained due the semi dry sump setup.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Pull the plug on the bottom of the hub. Let all the fluid drain out. replace drain plug, stand the bike upright, remove plug that's level with the axle shaft, and fill until oil level is at bottom of fill hole. It takes about 1/3 of a quart, so if you buy a quart of gear oil, you should get 3 oil changes out of it.

-Josh

·
Registered
453 Posts
Check email. :)

Happy Trails.
Paul

·
Registered
506 Posts
You have a drawing in Service Manual (and Owners Manual), how to go about it.
Also : Go Mobile synthetic (I think it's SAE 90).

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
And for the record do not put 3.8 quarts in your motor unless you want a leaky left air cleaner. It is 3.4, but I put in 3 then check after an oil change since not all the oil is drained due the semi dry sump setup.
Not true, about 3.8 with a filter change, about 3.6 with no filter change, that is what the manual states.

Since I always change the filter too, I have always poured in 3.8 quarts and it checks right to the top.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Not true, about 3.8 with a filter change, about 3.6 with no filter change, that is what the manual states.

Since I always change the filter too, I have always poured in 3.8 quarts and it checks right to the top.
I change my filter every time and I put in 3.4 quarts and it had ended up right in the middle of the hash marks both times. I guess filling it to the full hash is a personal choice, but since there were so many threads about puking oil out of the left breather I though I would leave it in the middle. But I am newb, so the manual always trumps me. Thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Well, I guess if you in the middle, the that is about right for 3.4. I have never been plagued with the oil blowby problem. I have even put in 4 quarts a couple of times.

Guess I am one of the lucky ones.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the quick responses. rookiepg gave me a link to the manual and it is awesome. I have been sitting here all evening reading over it and getting mean looks from the wivey. lol She wants attention. lol. I'll take her out tomorrow to make up for it.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I put in 5 qts yes 5 qrts of oil several times with no puke. Filled to the top mark on the dipstick. :nojoke:

On the drive oil, just under 8 fluid oz.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I do the final drive oil when I do the engine oil, so for me that's every 3000km. I over service all my gear.

I use 80/90W motorcycle branded gear oil. Get 4 oil changes to the litre, book says 200-220ml. Easy to change, drain the oil, new washer & refit, open the fill, fill with bike horizontal to just dribble out the fill, refit cap.

Didn't think it was a greased drive shaft ...

·
Registered
453 Posts
You're not kidding about 'over serviceing'. Holly crap, BP Oil is loving you right now. :)
With Full Synthetic I change my oil once every 10,000km's. And I've done this on my ZX12R....
Cheers,
Paul

I do the final drive oil when I do the engine oil, so for me that's every 3000km. I over service all my gear.

I use 80/90W motorcycle branded gear oil. Get 4 oil changes to the litre, book says 200-220ml. Easy to change, drain the oil, new washer & refit, open the fill, fill with bike horizontal to just dribble out the fill, refit cap.

Didn't think it was a greased drive shaft ...

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
??? Differential fluid or Engine oil? There is no drive shaft oil, you just need to grease the drive shaft to service it. And for the record do not put 3.8 quarts in your motor unless you want a leaky left air cleaner. It is 3.4, but I put in 3 then check after an oil change since not all the oil is drained due the semi dry sump setup.
no drive shaft oil? there is in mine whats in yours then if there is no drive shaft oil?

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
no drive shaft oil? there is in mine whats in yours then if there is no drive shaft oil?
He's just saying the oil is held in the differential and not the actual shaft

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for all the quick responses. rookiepg gave me a link to the manual and it is awesome. I have been sitting here all evening reading over it and getting mean looks from the wivey. lol She wants attention. lol. I'll take her out tomorrow to make up for it.
..HAHAHAHA I KNOW WHAT THATS LIKE...WOW...WIFEY KNOWS IF U COULD SCREW THE M109 U WOULD CUZ SHE DOESNT TALK BACK AND SHES SEXY...THE FIRST GUY ALMOST HAD U BREAKING DOWN ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD WITH HIS REPLY ABOUT JUST GREASING THE SHAFT..LOL....I JUST RECENTLY OPENED MY HUB AND THE MEMBER IS RIGHT ABOUT CHANGING THE DRAIN PLUG...CUZ MINE IS STRIPPED AND I BARELY TURNED IT...ALSO SIT THE BIKE UP RIGHT IF U CAN..MAKES IT SLIGHTLY EASIER GET THE SHAFT OIL..I USE THE HONDA BRAND...SQUEEZE TILL IT LEAKS OUT THE HOLE THAT SIMPLE...NO MATH TO IT....GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
11 Posts
HI, MY NAME IS BLESS. I ENJOY BEING A DICK. I LOVE THAT EVERYTIME I POST I GET ATTENTION BECAUSE MY CAPS LOCK IS ON. IF YOU THINK MY YELLING ON HERE IS BAD, IMAGINE HOW MY DOG FEELS. I REFUSE TO TURN IT OFF BECAUSE I DEMAND TO BE THE CENTER OF ATTENTION, IN EVERYTHING I DO. I'M THE MAN. I'M SO THE MAN, THAT MY REFLECTION IS AFRAID OF ME.

·
Registered
12 Posts
HI MY NAME IS BLESS. I ENJOY BEING A DICK. I LOVE THAT EVERYTIME I POST I GET ATTENTION BECAUSE MY CAPS LOCK IS ON. IF YOU THINK MY YELLING ON HERE IS BAD, IMAGINE HOW MY DOG FEELS. I REFUSE TO TURN IT OFF BECAUSE I DEMAND TOI BE THE CENTER OF ATTENTION, IN EVERYTHING I DO. I'M THE MAN. I'M SO THER MAN, THAT MY REFLECTION IS AFRAID OF ME.

HAHAHAHAHAHHA...THATS CLASSIC..I LIKE IT...KEEPEM COMIN..LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts