M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed over to synthetic oil in my drive shaft now my question is how often do you change your drive shaft fluid even using synthetic.:dontknow:
Thank You......Jay

G

·
I changed over to synthetic oil in my drive shaft now my question is how often do you change your drive shaft fluid even using synthetic.:dontknow:
Thank You......Jay
Synthetic "differential" fluid doesn't break down and contaminate itself like conventional gear lube. It also keeps the differential from getting as hot. In most aplications it can easily go 50K mi. I have had many different shaft drive motorcycles and once I change to synthetic, that's it. I don't change it again unless I put more than 100K mi. on it. I have put that many miles on 2 previous bikes and have not had a single problem. One was dissasembled (cause I chromed it) and showed no wear compared to new. And the gear lube was as clean as it went in, albeit a little darker in color. Another friends bike with only 75K running conventional gear lube changed often, showed considerable wear, and the oil was full of metal and very dark. His seals were shot as well, hard and cracking, and mine were still flexible and serviceble.

That's real world experience. not opinoin or heresay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.