M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple days ago started feeling a "SKIP" in second gear like it was skipping a tooth in the drive train when applying power in second two oklahoma suzuki shops have diagnosed and are now telling me I have blown the drive damper which require a complete engine pull 18 hours shop time and a repair bill of 2 grand I do not hot rod this bike and maintenance is meticulasly documented at 25k miles.

Both shops are telling me they have never performed this procedure on a 109 and it will be the first repair of its kind in this area.

Anyone else ever experianced this problem ?

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Highly unlikely it is the drive damper. More than likely your second gear has one or more sheared teeth. A friend just had his fixed, after the warranty expired. They fixed it for him and only charged him labor, they paid for the parts.

This was Oklahoma City Honda Suzuki on Sunnylane. You might take it there and see what they say.

There have been many who have had this trouble, but for some reason the one I mentioned was the only one OKC Honda Suzuki has done or had knowledge of.

Must be the luck-of-the-draw, as my 06 has 14,000 trouble-free miles, I can hammer it in second gear any time I choose with no ill affects.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,852 Posts
Did they explain what this "drive damper" is or does? I've never heard of a part with that name inside the engine or transmission. You have the cushion hub rear, which is nothing but some rubber bushings. I don't know what else would be considered a damper. Maybe the engine counterbalancer?

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
Did they explain what this "drive damper" is or does? I've never heard of a part with that name inside the engine or transmission. You have the cushion hub rear, which is nothing but some rubber bushings. I don't know what else would be considered a damper. Maybe the engine counterbalancer?
Maybe that is there name for it, not the technical name. You know the thing-a-mabob or the dohicky? :dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,852 Posts
Maybe that is there name for it, not the technical name. You know the thing-a-mabob or the dohicky? :dontknow:
Either that or they think it's a boat. The drive damper on a boat looks like a clutch, but it doesn't disengage. It has a springs cushion center similar to our clutch pressure plate to take up the shock of the drivetrain. :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
BS

Yeah, this sounds like a total BS job to me. They have never done it, but they know what it is and how much it will cost?
If it only does it in second gear, then it's not the "drive damper" or anything past the transmission.
It's probably coming out of second gear, and going back in. This means you have wear in the shifting dog/shifting fork area, a known weak spot on these bikes, and many other bikes. So you can do one of 2 things.
1. spend $2 grand on a tranmission rebuild (at a shop that has done it) with better parts like back cut gear dogs and solid shafts.
2. Baby it in second gear, short shift into third, and just ride it, you have 4 other gears. Maybe do my shift fix (in the how to's) or try the "star" kit available. This may fix it if the wear is not too advanced.
In any case, don't keep trying to repeat the "skipping" problem by beating on it in second gear. Every time it pops out it does more damage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts