M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys,on left side of bike,small oil drip from bottom of the chrome cover. THE BIKE WAS NOT OVERFILLED WITH OIL.I HAVE ONLY 7000 MILES,BIKE ALWAYS GARAGED AND INDOORS.NEVER RIDDEN IN RAIN NEVER BEAT ON.I NEED ALL YOU GENIOUS PEOPLE TO HELP ME PLEASE.SUZUKI DEALER HAS NEVER SEEN THIS PROBLEM BEFORE,AND WANTS TO CHARGE ME AT LEAST 2 TO 3 HOURS TO TAKE OF TANK AND GET IN THERE TO SEE WHAT PROBLEM IS.THAT IS 225 DOLLARS JUST TO TRY AND FIND PROBLEM.IF THE MECHANIC DOESN,T KNOW WHAT IT IS YET,BEFORE I TAKE IT TO THE SUZUKI DEALER,WHAT DO YOU THINK.THERE ARE ALOT OF SMART PEOPLE ON THIS SITE,HELP,PLEASE! REMEMBER ,BIKE WAS NOT OVERFILLED,THANKS GUY,S STEVE FROM MAINE.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
OK, first off, TURN OFF THE CAPS LOCK. Next, to me it sounds like oil puking through your air filter. I know you said it was not overfilled but sometimes the pressure builds up and causes that to happen, lots of reasons. Here is what you can do to verify. Take the couple bolts off and loosen the sreww that holds the air filter box on, remove it and take it apart and see if there is any oil in the air filter or that box. If not you should be able with that off the bike, to look behind it and see if you see anything leaking. Good Luck!

G

·
guys,on left side of bike,small oil drip from bottom of the chrome cover. THE BIKE WAS NOT OVERFILLED WITH OIL.I HAVE ONLY 7000 MILES,BIKE ALWAYS GARAGED AND INDOORS.NEVER RIDDEN IN RAIN NEVER BEAT ON.I NEED ALL YOU GENIOUS PEOPLE TO HELP ME PLEASE.SUZUKI DEALER HAS NEVER SEEN THIS PROBLEM BEFORE,AND WANTS TO CHARGE ME AT LEAST 2 TO 3 HOURS TO TAKE OF TANK AND GET IN THERE TO SEE WHAT PROBLEM IS.THAT IS 225 DOLLARS JUST TO TRY AND FIND PROBLEM.IF THE MECHANIC DOESN,T KNOW WHAT IT IS YET,BEFORE I TAKE IT TO THE SUZUKI DEALER,WHAT DO YOU THINK.THERE ARE ALOT OF SMART PEOPLE ON THIS SITE,HELP,PLEASE! REMEMBER ,BIKE WAS NOT OVERFILLED,THANKS GUY,S STEVE FROM MAINE.
Which chrome cover? There's a lot of "chrome" on this thing. People get the oil puke from not being overfilled too. It's a funny engine.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Puke can happen even if you do not over fill your oil.

Crank case pressure is not unusual in many vehicles, it is just handled poorly in the 9.

Any drive train mods can up your chances for puke.

If your bike pukes when not overfilled, there are several solutions.

Mostly, it is about stopping the vented oil from making it to your air box, where, in a well designed system, it would be drawn into a cylinder and just burned off and go out the exhaust.

Level 1:

Pull the crank case breather tube off the crank case (behind the key).

stick a pin through the hose as far up as you can reach and use bend over the pointy end so it stays.

This will act as a stop.

Get some steel wool and stretch it enough to use a pencil to stuff it up the hose to the stop. Do not pack it tight, it still needs to let air through.

Once you pack in the steel wool, use another pin for a stop on the bottom end and reconnect to your crank case.

If your problem is minor, this will be all you need. The steel wool gives the oil mist something to collect on as the air heads to the air box and if it builds up enough, it will run back down into your crank case.

This is tried and true muscle car remedy, so do not think I am pulling this out of thin air. It is easy and stops the issue a good deal of the time.

If level 1 is not enough -

Level 2:

Same ideal as above, but you will be using a catch can in the line. Again, stuff the can with steel wool to give you more collection surface area in the can.

Go from the crank case to the can and from the can to the air box.

Level 2 can take care of most puke issues.

Level 3:

like level 2 with a catch can, but no line to the air box. Plug the inlet in the air box and use a crank case breather filter on the catch can.

This will allow none of the oil into the air box, so there can be no puke from the air box.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Catch Can

Check out the below link on how to install a catch can. This will cure your problem without further aggrevation. There are a couple variations but I've used the inline catch (no filter) version on two of my 9's and both were 100% effective. You'll need to clean out the main airbox under the tank and the left airbox to clean out the oil that is there right now, but then you'll have zero problems with oil puke.

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117146&highlight=catch

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I've had a catch can with no filter on mine since late 2006, when I noticed some oil puking out of the left air cleaner. Routed the crankcase breather hose through the left engine cover near the dipstick, extended the hose to reach a bottle that is just laying loose on the bottom of the rear engine cover. Bottle has two fittings in the lid, one for the breather hose, the other to let the bottle breath.

I've had zero problems with puke since then, and I fill mine up with the entire 4 quarts when I change oil. There has been a little oil accumulation in the bottle, but not enough that I need to dump it yet, and that is after near 14,000 miles and 4 years.

Even though I have not used a filter for four years, I am still going to get a chrome K&N crank breather filter, and mount it on top of the right aft engine cover, more for looks than anything else. I've used un-filtered crank breathers on my bikes for many years, and not had a problem. They mostly breath out, not in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts