M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After second oil change, dealer did it.4000 miles,new rear and front meztler,s .bike runs fine for the next 2500 miles flawlessly.No oil drip,s nothing.Then for no reason,oil starts dripping out the left side,under the chrome air filter.Why,not ridden differntly,what in the hell would cause it.I,m not mechanically inclined,but i just can,t justify bringing it in to the dealer for 2 to 3 hours of labor just to diagnose it,and try to find problem,which they said have never seen.He is a good mechanic,but what the f,.//^#@%$ is going on.I know you said oil puke,but for no reason,one day the bike decides to do this,come on.Bike still has full power,everythings fine except for the small drip,What caused this out of the blue....Thanks,steve

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Over filling is usually the cause

Is is the usual cause but like you I'm no mechanic. I take mine to the dealer for ALL servicing. On the first service mine did it too but I've had no reoccurances to date with over 18,500 miles on the bike. Maybe some of the other guys on the site can diagnose the issue or give you some ideas as to the cause of the issue.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Your question was already answered on your first thread that you posted. These bikes can puke oil....even "mysteriously". You should install a catch can like was suggested on your other thread.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. The dealer reaplaced my clutch(waranty) an I rode for months with no puking.
When the first hot day of the season arived I got the drip. It appears when you add to the max level you are close to overfull and when the oil is heated to extra high temps the volume expands to that point of puking. I just drained a little bit and it went away.
Your left filter is now saturated and will affect your performance. It needs to be cleaned or replaced depending on what you have. You will have residual blow by that needs to be cleaned up too or you will be cleaning/replacing filter again.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
As I read all these puking post i have to wonder,,,,,,,Could the bikes with serious puking problems, not have been broken in right and the rings never seated proper? Excessive blow by is caused by compression getting by the rings. I am no bike mechanic but have built and broke in many hot rod engines. I did have a kawi 3 cylinder 2 stroke and I dont think the rings in the middle cylinder ever did seat right, I was changing that plug all the time from oil fouling. Not sure that is the same though......

I loved that bike,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This powerful, almost uncontrollable two-stroke was the meanest bike on the street. No other bike could match it for straight-line speed. Riders were likely to see a lot of sky as they wrestled with the beast to keep the nose down … even in corners!

The H2 would pull wheelies in the first three gears without even trying, much to the amazement and downfall of many owners.

http://www.buynewcars.info/bikes/750triple/

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Yep. And a simple leakdown test would prove it. :bigthumbsup:
That's what I thought, All these problems can't all be a bad design by zook............

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
That's what I thought, All these problems can't all be a bad design by zook............
We have 2 109s and both broke in different.

Mine - Off the trailer, fired up for 15 minutes to warm up then road like a rocket at high rpm's for 20 miles. Pretty much going up and down the gears to put pressure on the rings to seat them. Then I road it normal that day and changed the oil at about 100 miles. changed it again at 600, 1200 and then 3k. Mine never puked until I put synthetic in, then it stopped when I went back to regular. We broke Mary's in by the book, and it has been bone dry up to 15k miles, once again no synthetic. I have seen at least 10 cases of those that are puking on synthetic, and going back to a blend or regular oil and it has cured the problem.

Personally, I do not think it has anything to do with how the motor was broken in.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
We have 2 109s and both broke in different.

Mine - Off the trailer, fired up for 15 minutes to warm up then road like a rocket at high rpm's for 20 miles. Pretty much going up and down the gears to put pressure on the rings to seat them. Then I road it normal that day and changed the oil at about 100 miles. changed it again at 600, 1200 and then 3k. Mine never puked until I put synthetic in, then it stopped when I went back to regular. We broke Mary's in by the book, and it has been bone dry up to 15k miles, once again no synthetic. I have seen at least 10 cases of those that are puking on synthetic, and going back to a blend or regular oil and it has cured the problem.

Personally, I do not think it has anything to do with how the motor was broken in.
I wasn't referring to all puke probs. And back in the hot rod days they say, break them in like you are going to drive them, Mine has almost 11,000 miles and is only damp in the left filter, no dripping. I have never used full synthetic in a motor. I run the Valvoline duro blend right now.
I know personally, some folks i have swapped motors out for and came back at 500 miles and said I did something wrong. using oil, some smoking , that fast. I know these folks and know how they drive. The motors didn't stand a chance of breaking in right. They killed the rings , glazed the cylinders in the first 100 miles.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
:pop:

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I did have a kawi 3 cylinder 2 stroke and I dont think the rings in the middle cylinder ever did seat right, I was changing that plug all the time from oil fouling. Not sure that is the same though......

I loved that bike,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This powerful, almost uncontrollable two-stroke was the meanest bike on the street. No other bike could match it for straight-line speed. Riders were likely to see a lot of sky as they wrestled with the beast to keep the nose down … even in corners!

The H2 would pull wheelies in the first three gears without even trying, much to the amazement and downfall of many owners.

http://www.buynewcars.info/bikes/750triple/
Like you I also had my fun with Three-Cylinder, Two-Smokes. I had two Suzuki GT-750 Water Buffalos (72 and 74), and tuned them to the hilt. 3-into-3 expansion chambers, individual filters and larger carbs. The GT-750 was liquid-cooled, so the center cylinder was never a problem. The Kawasakis were air-cooled and had a tendency to burn out the center cylinders. So either Kawasaki set the oil mixture richer on the center, or the cat you bought it from did. I do recall Kawasaki for certain set the fuel mixture on the center cylinder quite a bit richer than #1 and #3, might have been the cause of your plug problems.

In any event, if you had replaced the points ignition with an electronic, breakerless type, which I did on both my GTs, plug fouling became a thing of the past. I ran thousands of miles on the same plugs, and even gave up carrying spares under the seat, just-in-case.:eek:

I sold my last one in 2006 ($4500), along with the Honda CBX ($5500) I also owned, to buy the M109R. No regrets yet, but I do miss the smell of burning two-stroke oil, and the huge blue cloud in the rearview when honkin on it.:D

I don't miss the pissed off people giving me the Single-Digit-Salute for smokin them out.;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts