M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I bit the bullet and decided to drill 4 holes in each of my pipes. Now it sort of sounds like my stepbrothers old racing 250r Honda(or as I liked to call it ,The Weed Whacker on Crack). Will drilling more holes or removing the baffles help smooth out the choppiness of the sound?

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
OK I bit the bullet and decided to drill 4 holes in each of my pipes. Now it sort of sounds like my stepbrothers old racing 250r Honda(or as I liked to call it ,The Weed Whacker on Crack). Will drilling more holes or removing the baffles help smooth out the choppiness of the sound?
I have read here the baffles do first!! I did not drill any other holes, and what a rumble. Lil louder then stock but a deep window shacking rumble now. I like it.

Do the baffles IMHO

·
Registered
16,260 Posts
Yup, drill the baffles, see how you like it, then do the holes for more sound. Did mine, but a week or 2 later I bought pipes. Sounded good though for the amount of time I rode w/ them drilled out.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I drilled 4 holes in my pipes and sounds great, the holes are 1/2" the holes made the bottom end proformance better, least it was noticeable.

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
On a side note, you want to do also is to shoot some black high temp paint in the pipes to coat the now raw metal exposed to keep it from rusting.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Ok, you've already drilled 4 holes. drill 4 more in each pipe and ride it for a day or two. then when its still not loud enough get the biggest hole saw you can fit into the inner pipe and drill the baffles. you will need a 12" extension to get the second baffle but it will be worth it.
I was completely satisfied with my drilled stockers until I bought a set of roadburners for 100 bucks. after that I was ruined. Moditus has set in and there is no cure.:a18:

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
get the biggest hole saw you can fit into the inner pipe and drill the baffles. you will need a 12" extension to get the second baffle but it will be worth it.
That is what I did with mine and it gave it a little more note with out being to loud, plus by looking at them they look stock.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'll sell ya my Road burner 3" Stepped Drag Pros! then your done.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On a side note, you want to do also is to shoot some black high temp paint in the pipes to coat the now raw metal exposed to keep it from rusting.
Already did that, then spent another 10 minutes trying to clean the drips off the pipes before it dried:edit:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I probably don't have enough money for them or the fuel management system to run them.
You wont need it unless you change the air filters.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
If you really want to make your stock pipes sound good, go ahead and gut it out. The stock pipes, at least in my 2007 model, have 2 baffles in each pipe. I took out the rear baffle in each pipe and put four 1/2 inch holes in the baffle wall of the front baffle in each pipe. It sounded great!! Here is how I did it.....

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132546&highlight=GUTTED+SWEET

·
Registered
960 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
gut them if ya need help there are threads here. We talked about the differance between the 06,07 and the upgrade in the 08.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got the baffle ends drilled out but I learned a few things:
1 - Don't use one of those telescoping magnets with the larger magnet at the end. It will get stuck once it gets past where the first baffle end was and you will break it trying to force it back out.
2 - The second baffle end on the bottom pipe is a bit tricky. I fought and fought with it. When I looked up into the pipe it looks like there is a misalignment in the pipe. I finally just kept drilling until I couldn't go any further with my 12" extension. I looked up in there and can still see some chunks still attached but thats as good as is its goin to get.

Sounds better but I won't know for sure till I can get to take it out and romp on it a bit.:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts