M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy with a Yamaha road star and the dealer drilled out his air boxs, drilled like 1/2" HOLES around the edge of the intake cover to help it breath better, has anyone tried that I did a search, but nothing came up. just wondering if that would work till thunder gets something out. Just a thought. I did see the recent mod with the auto parts stuff pretty nice.

·
Registered
752 Posts
J R said:
Please don't drill holes in your airbox...There are airbox mods that will be out soon and it wont entail drilling holes.Sucking hot air in a motor aint the thing to do for power along with unfiltered air.I'm not gonna write a book here but that air box is engineered a certain way for a certain reason and it ain't just a box.Theres more to it.Alot.Look in the Manuel or if ya want some hints on future Mods to be done look up Hayabusa airbox mods on .org or goggle or something and you may get some ideas.But dont hack up the bike.Your lookin in all the worng places for love.The airbox is gonna have to be done right to gain power and drilling holes aint the way :bigthumbsup:
Well there you go. :D

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Are we talking Air box? or drilling into something that is before the air filter?
I would think that is less radical than the dual ram air mod (that I desperately want to do)

So which is it? Both are bad? or just messing with the actual airbox behind the filters? (under tank between cylinders)

Sledzep

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Drill all the holes you want, it won't make a bit of difference. I dynoed with the cover on and with the cover off and nothing changed. ::)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Lamonster said:
Drill all the holes you want, it won't make a bit of difference. I dynoed with the cover on and with the cover off and nothing changed. ::)
What do you think of Raw_Taz dyno results with Thunder Mfg?

His shows 112 with and 122 without. Also it showed 100 ft lbs with and 115 without.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I got 108.5 with everything in place, will make the next pull on a dyno with a few mods on it. But it will go 12.2 @ 108+ in pure stock form with my fat butt on it. Bike and rider weighed in a 1000# even

·
Registered
514 Posts
The problem that you will see, is the holes drilled/top removed will throw off the f/i system... a/f ratio will not be where it should for making max hp.

Suzuki does not make a "closed loop" system for the 109 (it does not self learn). So you need to compensate for the extra air being allowed into the airbox with some sort of f/i device (TFI, Cobra, PC3).

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
L-Train said:
What do you think of Raw_Taz dyno results with Thunder Mfg?

His shows 112 with and 122 without.  Also it showed 100 ft lbs with and 115 without.
i think he meant with the filter on, just the chrome cover off.

·
Registered
752 Posts
J R said:
I know two other 109 bikes on two other dyno,s didnt have those results at all not even close to 10 h.p gain, not even half that.Just pulling the aircleaners off alone...Pull um off and let it rip up the road once and see for yourself if you feel 10 h.p more. ???Ya should thats a lot on a bike :bigthumbsup: If ya do great or take it to your dyno and pull um off and see what it tells ya just pulling the aircleaners off with none at all did zero on my bike as far as making more h.p testing.It does make more noise thru the inlet track without the filters but that was it Now inlet airtemp did make a difference as well as adding fuel but just pulling the aircleaners off or the airbox and adding 10 h.p.Didnt happen for two other 109,s. Im not sure how they got there results of 122 h.p .Look at Lamonts dyno results of his cobra dragsterpipes with and without the aircleaners ( and thats with the cobra F/I unit ) I think he gained 1 h.p if I remember right.I like the thunder products ive seen as far as looks go and any time you can add air its a good thing as well as cooler air :bigthumbsup: I wish I could get the same results they did as do others...JR

I was all for the Tornado and now my naturally suspicious mind is wondering about their dyno charts on their site.

Mine feels faster with the intake mods I have done but I did no timed testing after. I do have my numbers from after the JSD mod so maybe I will run out and do them and see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I got a Q's that leaf blower video they had on here so if you took that air horn set up just the blower and modified it would that work on the 109 for more air? :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am confused, not bitching, why does the open aircleaner thing work and not putting more holes in the air box. I think Quinn was talking about holes in the chrome part. You would be sucking cooler air not hot air with the factory hole between the cylinders. I am just asking because I am no expert. I have been told the you get some horses out of cooler air. Please explain to me the different.

G

·
My midlife crisis said:
I am confused, not bitching, why does the open aircleaner thing work and not putting more holes in the air box. I think Quinn was talking about holes in the chrome part. You would be sucking cooler air not hot air with the factory hole between the cylinders. I am just asking because I am no expert. I have been told the you get some horses out of cooler air. Please explain to me the different.
The filter is the problem, that and the hot air.

The Thunder stuff will be shipping in 7-10 days.

TAZ

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a wedding ring and there is something about the appendage that comes with it that will not let me spend $. It is a miracle I got the bike. Wifie hated bikes until the new silver baby made it home. She actually owns a helmet now but still restricks large spending. I am just looking for low cost ways to help get the hp. I understand we are restricked by the factory filter but was just thinking the cooler air would help. If I am wrong someone school me, please or send $ so I can buy lamonsters air system. :D :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts