M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I tried the 3" hole saw to remove the back plate of the exhaust. What a joke that was. Before I go blow money on dremel cutting disks, do you think they could handle doing this job? Any other ideas?? I hate hole saws with the passion of a thousand burning suns!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Skip the disks and get the carbide metal cutting bit.

It cuts well and does not break or wear down so quickly.

Take note: The carbide bit leaves MANY MANY MANY very tiny metal splinters-to-be in its wake. They are small enough to stick into your skin without you even knowing, but I can assure you from multiple experiences that very little hurts like waking up with a rusting splinter.

So, do wear eye protection, do not do it anywhere you plan to go in bare feet anytime in the near future and clean up with a magnet.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Was the hole saw you used designed for metal use or wood. If it is for wood, you got no chance. My metal one zipped right through.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I went thru 6 blades for my air saw, which wasnt bad they have very little cutting surface, and the weld was everywhere tough stuff to go thru.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was the hole saw you used designed for metal use or wood. If it is for wood, you got no chance. My metal one zipped right through.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
It was a bi-metal blade for all materials. Didn't even touch that back plate......

Square, you talking about the little bits that look like little drill bits or grinding bits?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I have done stuff like this for many years.
If you use a Dremel, Dotco,or pin router,no matter what, your rotary file works best and a LONG time if you coat it thoroughly with bees wax.
After coating and grinding and coating and grinding you will get a good wax buildup in your file and your machine will grind smooth and clean.Try to keep the RPMs down cause heat anneals the cutting surface quickly and dulls it.
Wear gloves cause the fines will make slivers that are not fun.
Don`t grind too flush or you will have a gap (I had to reweld mine):evil:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
But first I drilled a bunch of holes and used an air chisel to pop out the plate, then rotary filed.

I think overall a hole saw is easiest if you go slow with LOTS of lube

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
It was a bi-metal blade for all materials. Didn't even touch that back plate......

Square, you talking about the little bits that look like little drill bits or grinding bits?
You need to use two hole saws to do it. Put a 1 1/4" hole saw inside the 3". The 1 1/4" will go inside the pipe and keep the 3" hole saw centered so it can cut. If you try using the 3" hole saw by itself it just skips all over the end cap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts