M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
how to drain coolant from radiator on m109?
1) Pull the tank off
2) Pull the neck and radiator fairing off
3) Take off the radiator cap that is on the brake lever side of the bike
4) Underneath, at the bottom of the radiator, unscrew the hose clamp for the very large hose and pull it off.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
thanks will try and do it myself.
Very easy to do. Some advice...while you do it, check all hose clamps. Behind the resevoir, on the clutch lever side of the bike you will see 3 hoses come together in a "T". That is the culprit for most of the antifreeze leaks. The bottom one tends to come loose. I just did my antifreeze about a month ago as I had a leak and it was time. I pulled most hoses, cleaned the inside and the fittings and put back on and tightened down. No issues now.

When you add antifreeze back in, rock the bike really good until the air bubbles are gone. Put the tank on without the other plastics so you can see the radiator cap. The manual says to start it up and let it run until the thermostat opens but I found that it will start puking antifreeze out without the cap on after a few. So, I fired it up, let it run for a while, then turned it off and let it cool down. I then opened it back up and filled it up, put the cap on, filled up the resevoire to the cold line and started it up again and let it run until I saw the fan come on. Once that happened, I topped off the resevoire to the hot mark and I let it cool down one last time. Then I checked it and it was full and ready to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts