M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was riding this weekend in the mountains sticking some curves and found out the hard way that my pipes will drag on a hard right turn.:swear::swear:Scratched the :edit: out of my cobra swepts. Was wondering if anyone else that has these pipes has run into this. Some mods were done before I bought the bike. How do I tell it the bike has lowering bones. I didnt think it did. I am also running the stock tire in the front and was wondering if I went to a 160 front if that would give me enough clearance or if it makes that much difference. One thing is for sure these bikes are way to FUN:D. Cant help but hang the curves.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,138 Posts
Some have cut the ends of the pipe because of that. They don't seem to drag on the bottom, just on the very ends.

As far as lowering, if the top of the tire is just slightly above the bottom of the chrome fender struts when sitting on the side stand, it's not lowered. If the top edge of the side wall is about even with the bottom of the strut, it's lowered about 1.5". If the top of the rim is about even with the bottom of the fender strut, it's lowered about 2".

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After looking at rear tire it dont look like mine has been lowered. I scrapped my exhaust on the bottom not on the ends but I must admit I was probably leaning it a little too far.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Oh ya, i dragged the hell out of my swepts... It's sucks that they make the front pipe sit so low... Once i dragged them the first time i made sure i dragged it every chance I got till i threw them out...:D

Pipe rash V

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,138 Posts
Since you dragged the bottom, I'd say it's not lowered either. Once you lower it the rear of the pipes drop down more and are the first to drag.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lmao. Yeah it kind of sucks once you rash them up like that. But I cant afford to get new pipes for a while. Wonder what I should do to try to keep them from rusting where the scratches are. Guess I could always just grind the rust off. On the asphault that is:p
Oh ya, i dragged the hell out of my swepts... It's sucks that they make the front pipe sit so low... Once i dragged them the first time i made sure i dragged it every chance I got till i threw them out...:D

Pipe rash V

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,138 Posts
Since that's on a heat shield you could mask around it and hit it with some high temp aluminum spray paint. Though I like your rust removal option better. :D

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Lots of guys drag the Cobra's...I have dragged my Bigshots in the same place. Look to it as more of a battle scar than a blemish.:D

Now... if you want to lessen the chances that you scrape the front part...Last year I moved my triple trees all the way to the top, flush with the forks. I rarely scraped anything after that. I moved them back down this year to just below the fork cap. I haven't ridden enough yet to see the difference.;) Course...like has always been said. If you're scraping the pipe it's not much more before the peg mount, then oooopppsss...:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Mine is lowered as well and never dragged the ends. Always the bottom.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
It only feels bad the first time. Just be careful taking the turns hard(interchanges or long sweepers) or the pipes will lift your back tire. I almost sh1t my pants when that happened the first time. I now slowly lay her on the turns and make great sparks, lol.

it's not the tip you'll have to worry about. It's the front shield that drags the most, and it doesn't take much to do it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Was riding this weekend in the mountains sticking some curves and found out the hard way that my pipes will drag on a hard right turn.:swear::swear:Scratched the :edit: out of my cobra swepts. Was wondering if anyone else that has these pipes has run into this. Some mods were done before I bought the bike. How do I tell it the bike has lowering bones. I didnt think it did. I am also running the stock tire in the front and was wondering if I went to a 160 front if that would give me enough clearance or if it makes that much difference. One thing is for sure these bikes are way to FUN:D. Cant help but hang the curves.
Not trying to high jack this link. But to add to the thoughts here, are you hitting the foot peg first then the bottom of the cobra swepts Silverbullit?

Or are you hitting the exhaust first and if you push it further then hitting the right peg accorn nut?

I was going to go with Cobra but I DON'T want to cause the same damage as L.T.T.

My bike isn't lowered and don't plan on it.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Hey maybe you could epoxy a titianium sheet there for protection and it will make for an awesome Light show at night.
Bob

·
Registered
396 Posts
Mine isn't lowered and my pegs will drag (and drag my feet off the pegs) before my Swepts drag.

Seems to me like your bike is lowered...

But, I don't know very much and you know what uneducated opinions are like...

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Thats been a common known issue with those pipes, its the nature of them. But if it makes you feel a little better, I have a scrape on my Big Shots. Be like nascar turn left:eek:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.