M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I wanted to see if anyone was up for a drag race tomorrow night at Bandrmer, I'm heading out with a pro street rider that will kill me once she is out of first gear (I'm working on fixing that problem ;) ) It would be very cool if I could race against someone I can learn something from ::), right now I'm being told I'm crazy for trying to run with the big dogs but then again being crazy is nothing new :D. Let me know if some 109's can make it, I'll be there trying my best to win.

Also on a side note, I've been working on my take offs and I noticed that once the RPM's get high I have a really hard time shifting. Can I start off in 2nd, it seems kind of sluggish when I've tried.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hmm... no way you're getting me on the strip but I might show up to make some pictures of YOU doing it. /wink

·
Registered
306 Posts
Also... how do we start a Colorado specific forum here? Got to be more than you and me out here, right? I know I've seen m109's on the road...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Wicked! Hell yeah if you go take gm2inco along for some pics/vids of you scorching that thing down the track.

The power-to-weight ratio you've got on that thing has to be the lowest of any 109...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope I do ok I've been racing everyone I can find and as long as I get out of first I'm set :D however..... that getting out of first before the eng dies, is an issue for me (I had no idea that you just didn't sit at one speed no the hold dang bike just about shuts down!!!! First time it happened I thought I killed the bike) :redfaced: lost to a 1800vtx that way and lost 2 times :( . I'll get one of my friends to take some pic's when I'm there :D I think 10.9 is the time I'm going after.

O on racing did find a way to hit the corners 30-40+ without ripping out the pipes (they still touch down but its not as bad) also there is a way to get off the front pegs so when they hit down hard they don't mess up your boots.

Ok this is what you have to do, put your feet on the back pegs and when you hit the corners take your butt and body off the bike and lean into the corner keeping the bike as upright as possible. What this does is keeps the bike a bit more upright and you no longer feel the drag on the pegs and the pipes are tin or something like that and they shave down without to much drag (until you hit a rock then just speed up to get your back tire back on the ground) there is still drag you just don't notice it as much (that is until you go to polish the pipes then its kind of hard to miss)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Headin out momentarily in the general direction of Estes Park and the Peak to Peak Highway... We'll see if it ends me up in Morrison. /wink

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Viper_814 said:
Firecat
how much does it cost to run out at bandimeier?
$30 to race, $10 to watch
http://www.bandimere.com/home/index.php <--- main page

Click events, then today's date:
Dates:
  Oct-11-2006  Oct-04-2006  Sep-27-2006  Sep-20-2006
  Sep-13-2006  Sep-06-2006  Aug-30-2006  Aug-23-2006
  Aug-16-2006  Aug-09-2006  Aug-02-2006  Jul-19-2006
  Jul-05-2006  Jun-28-2006  Jun-21-2006  Jun-07-2006
  May-31-2006  May-24-2006  May-17-2006  May-10-2006
  May-03-2006  Apr-26-2006

All vehicles Welcome! All vehicles must pass 2006 NHRA Rules.

Gates Open 4:00 pm
Time Trials 4:30 pm - 9:00pm (Back of lanes close @ 8:45pm pm)

Admission
Participants $30
Spectators $10

Racers, 16 and 17 years of age must have a signed 2006 Minor Release and Waiver of Liability Agreement Form by parents or legal guardian. 2005 signed forms are not valid! Minor Release Forms are available to download click on racer corner.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Also on a side note, I've been working on my take offs and I noticed that once the RPM's get high I have a really hard time shifting.  Can I start off in 2nd, it seems kind of sluggish when I've tried

Firecat,

Try short shifting 1st gear. Launch the bike, get it moving a few feet then shift to second. Also, you could use the time it takes to get your feet from the ground to the pegs as a gauge for time. As soon as your left foot is under the shifter hit second gear. You won't need to watch the tachometer for the first shift.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
...besides what Nester said, nothing says you can't launch with your foot ready on the peg to shift, just use the right foot on the ground to maintain balance before launch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dang !!!! ok I'll try your hints next time. I have to say that I think a kid on a trike might have passed me on my first 2 runs or that might have been my grandma in a mini van ;). I had a HUGE issue shifting on the first 2 runs going from 1st to 2nd, I ended up double shifting into neutral then into second (loads of wasted time) and it took me 2 runs to figure out what the lights where for (I understand green but no one told me about the line up so I froze up the line for about 10min as they reset the start lights.)

times and speed (OK you'll have to give me a break on this one I'll work on the shifting next week)

best time was 13.82 103mph I guess they have pic's I'll post them when they get in.

PS: My take offs are off by a second (so I'll try to work on that one as well)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
firecat said:
PS: My take offs are off by a second (so I'll try to work on that one as well)
Don't feel bad the first time I was at the strip, you could have measured my reaction time with a sundial :yikes:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Welllll..... If you're going back on the 11th, I may just have to join you :hot:

I'd like to make a couple passes just so I can say that I did it :D Who knows... with all the Kuryakyn "mods" I've done, maybe my M is a little more "slippery" through the air :eek: :joke:

Let me know if you're heading back the 11th. I'll bring the camera and we'll get someone to snap a pic of 2 M's lined up side by side :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok first question, what one of you guys is riding the black and who is riding the blue, I saw the black but I didn't get the impression you where watching everything around you ::) sad considering I was on a silver passing right next to you next time I'll honk my scooter horn :joke:

ok now for the pic's :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DaltonH said:
WTG 'Cat, but I gotta tell you that you REALLY make that bike look HUUUUUGE :eek: :eek:

What were your times like??
Well I think a kid passed me on a trike :joke: I was in the 13's and my reaction time was a second off ::) not my fault there was a really hot guy racing me, I'm all about the chase :joke:

Ok in all reality I figured out when I was done I was suppost to go on the last yellow light... Ops (so I will work on this in a big way) And the next major issue I'm having is getting from 1st to 2nd :( but now I have 4 things I'm going to try :D so with any luck next week I'll do much better

ITguy said:
Way to go firecat but be carefull drag racing is quite addictive. I've caught the bug too. :bigthumbsup:

Not sure how you are shifting but I apply upward pressure on the shifter then crack the throttle real quick around 6300-6500 rpm. It takes a little practice but it is usually quicker than shifting with the clutch and eliminates most of the missed shifts.
Thanks ITguy I'll try this tomorrow and let you know how it goes :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts