M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Sunday I spent the day with a big group of vtx, sport bikes and another 109. At the end of the day it was just me and one of the vtx guys. We pulled up to a spot we like to go were it is safe to race from the stop light up a bridge. So I decided to just drop the clutch and let this thing go full blast off the line.

It was the perfect setting our bikes side by side and 2 cars in the lanes to our right. The light turns green and we both jump on it.

I hit the gas and just dumped the clutch. I watched as he took off and I just created a huge cloud of smoke. It felt like I was standing still trying to do a burnout. The back wheel finally grabbed and the front end came a bit. I didn't even make it through the intersection before I hit the rev limiter. When I shifted it jumped again but must have been still spinning a little because I quickly hit the rev limiter again. I ended up hitting it in the first 3 gears and never could catch him. I spent too much time spinning the wheel and creating a huge cloud of smoke.

I told my wife about it and yesterday I went back by the area to see if I really left as much rubber as it felt like. Sure enough he left a small maybe 5 foot patch but I had left a patch almost across the intersection and you could see where I must have shifted then spun the wheel again.

Now I know if you are in real race don't dump the clutch if you want to win. It may look cool but this thing will just spin in place. I have a 200 mets on my vtx and never have this problem off the line. I guess I need to go out and practice some hole shots! :cop:

Ye

·
Registered
118 Posts
Good story!  I can help but think how the cages might have looked ---> :eek:  Trying to picture it, I think it might have looked kinda comical, too... one bike shooting across the intersection and the other burning 114lbs of rubber, nearly standing still... lol :D

J

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ppridgen1 said:
tsometimes it's not what you got but how ya use it,huh? :bigthumbsup: :doorag: :#1:
Yep need to do some more practicing on this one. I have the vtx down and always get great hole shots but didn't expect the wheel to spin so easy on this one. I wonder if the metz are just a little stickier than the dunnies.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you come out of the hole at 2800 rpm you will be OK and please don't ever be part of the new show Pinks on the speed channel. :D

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Latinbid said:
If you come out of the hole at 2800 rpm you will be OK and please don't ever be part of the new show Pinks on the speed channel.  :D
I think youre right for now. I ran it like I have my vtx and will have to learn how to do it better on the 109. I usually don't frop the clutch like that and wanted to see what it would do. Good think it wasnt for pinks. :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts