M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the 109 is again in shreds.
Cut everything out above the set and have all my 2.5" stainless plumbing made and ready to tig.

Have still got some flexibility as to where the Muffler goes (up/down) ..what do you think? :dontknow:

I have tried to obscure the swing arm (a bit)..it doesn't really bother me.

SS just taped together for a position view..I'll post the welds and shapes I used when it is done.

I'll be diagonal cutting the tail of the muffler..so it will look shorter than in the pic!

What do you think...OK? or Shift it?

Mk I

Mk 11

Getting close to finished

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Re: ** Donkey Deep** Need opinions please!

Gee....that looks perfect IMHO! The muffler is in line with the head pipes and flows nicely to the rear axle, compared to some who opted for the shorter pipe. Your set-up covers the swing arm beautifully. Looks awesome :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

bob109 said:
Gee....that looks perfect IMHO! The muffler is in line with the head pipes and flows nicely to the rear axle, compared to some who opted for the shorter pipe. Your set-up covers the swing arm beautifully. Looks awesome :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Thanks Bob that's nice of you to say so..will have to cut the welds in the heat shields to get anything like a line..(re-chrome to probably)
Needed to 'dog leg' the 2.5"to get a line up with the collector. (new photo incl).
Had intended to have it a 'tad' higher and sort of angled up but the lines didn't look quite right....maybe too much an attempt to look like a Sport bike!
I'll tape it up and re-photo it at a different angle to get some reaction.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts

rasputin said:
Thanks Bob that's nice of you to say so..will have to cut the welds in the heat shields to get anything like a line..(re-chrome to probably)
Needed to 'dog leg' the 2.5"to get a line up with the collector. (new photo incl).
Had intended to have it a 'tad' higher and sort of angled up but the lines didn't look quite right....maybe too much an attempt to look like a Sport bike!
I'll tape it up and re-photo it at a different angle to get some reaction.
You're on the right tract :D :D

G

·

Here's something to consider that I have encountered with mine. Going straight out and keeping it parallel with the ground has affected my cornering ability. I hit and flattened my stainless muffler trying to take a corner. My bike has been lowered 2 1/2" which puts the can closer to the ground. Take that into consideration. It was a great suprise to me when I lifted the rear tire of the ground cornering because I was sliding on the can. Thankfully I caught it just as it was doing it and was able to take some lean out so I wouldn't go down. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Here's a pic of mine for reference.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

toneout said:
Here's something to consider that I have encountered with mine. Going straight out and keeping it parallel with the ground has affected my cornering ability. I hit and flattened my stainless muffler trying to take a corner. My bike has been lowered 2 1/2" which puts the can closer to the ground. Take that into consideration. It was a great suprise to me when I lifted the rear tire of the ground cornering because I was sliding on the can. Thankfully I caught it just as it was doing it and was able to take some lean out so I wouldn't go down. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Thanks Tone..! :bigthumbsup:

G

·

toneout said:
Here's something to consider that I have encountered with mine. Going straight out and keeping it parallel with the ground has affected my cornering ability. I hit and flattened my stainless muffler trying to take a corner. My bike has been lowered 2 1/2" which puts the can closer to the ground. Take that into consideration. It was a great suprise to me when I lifted the rear tire of the ground cornering because I was sliding on the can. Thankfully I caught it just as it was doing it and was able to take some lean out so I wouldn't go down. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Must've been a Harley sitting there right before you moved yours there Toneout.

·
Registered
525 Posts
MKI looks the best. MKII looks more " leanable ". I would take either in a flash. Good work!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone,

Mk 11 it is!..off to get it tig'd...don't trust myself so I'll take my bottle of Argon and get a mate to do it. :hot:

·
Registered
898 Posts

toneout said:

holy crap :eek: that sounds like some pucker factor was going on !

khrome

·
Registered
898 Posts
rasputin said:
Well the 109 is again in shreds.
Cut everything out above the set and have all my 2.5" stainless plumbing made and ready to tig.

Have still got some flexibility as to where the Muffler goes (up/down) ..what do you think? :dontknow:

I have tried to obscure the swing arm (a bit)..it doesn't really bother me.

SS just taped together for a position view..I'll post the welds and shapes I used when it is done.

I'll be diagonal cutting the tail of the muffler..so it will look shorter than in the pic!

What do you think...OK? or Shift it?

Mk I

Mk 11

go ahead and make two of them with the angle and send of them to me :bigthumbsup: that looks great :2cool:

khrome

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sweet. Good look. I really like toneout's black fork covers and real clean lines.MK2 looks more like it can handle twistys better.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts