M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys my bike is coming up to its 2 year anniversary in a few months time and i will then do the servicing myself as the warranty will be over.
My biggest concern is removing the fuel tank to replace the spark plugs and the radiator fluid.Is it easy to do without damaging the paint etc?Also it will be 12000km (7500 miles) when i do this are the spark plugs usually worn by then?Cheers guys and thanks in advance.^-^

·
Registered
838 Posts
the fuel tank is easy to remove emptier the better (weight). Remove seat. There is one bolt holding the tank. 13 or 14mm I believe. I use a 3" socket extension and and prop it under the tank where the bolt goes through. put a rag under the fuel line and disconnect. Some fuel will spill out (normal) Lift the tank off the frame and slide down so you can get to the electrical connection. Disconnect and remove. It's that easy.

I've ready people say that their plugs have been good up to 15K miles.
Good luck and enjoy becoming closer with your bike.

·
Radio Active Member
27,655 Posts
Yes it is easy. I pull every panel around the area that I am working on. So they do not get damaged like you are concerned about. Just take your time to learn how to work on your baby. You will build up speed after a time or two vs the first time. And get a SERVICE MANUAL. That way you will have correct information at your finger tips. Some guy on the forum might give you wrong info and then you can cause damage.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Pulling the tank, changing plugs, fluids, filters and things of that nature are pretty simple and straight forward. I need to sync my throttle bodies (to cure a high idle), but I don't know the procedure and there's probably some kind of special tool needed to do it that I don't have. I'm afraid to take it to the dealership to have them do it because of all the horror stories I hear about Suzuki service depts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys it's been real helpful.One last question though i read that you tighten the oil filter real tight witht the removal tool,i,ve allways (on cars) just tightened it by hand not cranked it real hard!
What do you guys do?
Cheers:beer3:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback guys it's been real helpful.One last question though i read that you tighten the oil filter real tight witht the removal tool,i,ve allways (on cars) just tightened it by hand not cranked it real hard!
What do you guys do?
Cheers:beer3:
If your dealer put your last filter on, it may take a wrench to get it off. But when you put a new one, just put it on as tight as you can by hand, no tools. Thats what I do, no problems so far

And the bolt at the bottom of the tank is 12mm, bleakster!

·
Registered
461 Posts
The oil filter only needs to be tightened 1/4 turn after the gasket makes the seal. No need to tighten it like a head bolt, it won't loosen and in fact will tighten because of pressure. Remember to remove or loosen the side panels before removing the tank or the tabs might break off that secure it under the tank.:-\ Don't forget to clean or replace the air filters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts