M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/kobalt-3-8-air-filter

Will this one filter oil from vapor? My current oil catch can doesn't deal with the pressure well (bike has compression kit installed), and it's spraying at the small bore joints of the hose line.

I'm pretty clueless about what will work best. If you know one that works great and the name of it, please drop a line also.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,882 Posts
That one should work pretty well, as long as you run a large hose to it and from it. If I recall, that is the problem with what you have now, the hoses are too small. They need to be large enough to not restrict the blowby coming out of the engine.

A good size to shoot for is the stock hose size that runs from the vapor box on top of the engine up to the air box. And keep your hoses running uphill.

Make sure you have room to mount that separator too. When you get to that size they can get fairly large.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
I have a similar one that I bought from Home Depot. Take a look at K109 and Listan 1's write up. I put my catch can just like their write ups and it works great. I have had just over 2500 miles on my catch can and I have only had 1 drop come out so far. I believe the main line coming out of the air box is 5/8" and once in the catch can it goes to a 3/8" out to the filter. But check their write up to be sure.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so far.

I did read the write up (heh, I asked where/what catch can that was, but no joy there)

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Sorry didn't respond to the post sooner. The catch can is one for air compressor. The picture you have is the from Lowe's. I prefer the one from Home Depot because the entire can is clear, instead a small sight strip to look through.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry didn't respond to the post sooner. The catch can is one for air compressor. The picture you have is the from Lowe's. I prefer the one from Home Depot because the entire can is clear, instead a small sight strip to look through.
I might go look at the Home Depot one. This Kobalt one is crap. Carefully put it on, and the next ride, oil everywhere.

Had my dad help me look at it (he's mechanically inclined and deals with stuff like this at work). The bottom "bleeder" valve that you can drain the fluid out "easily", well it leaks like nobodies business under pressure.

Strangely... strangely, my dad took it apart and put it back together with the spring on the outside, bottom part, so it's pulling the plunger down, and it is air tight that way. I filled the bottom with gasket maker anyway, since you can just unscrew the container off the filter. Don't need this problem again.

Weird. According to the specs, the Kobalt filter is assembled correctly before, though it is not air tight this way. Either defective, or I'm doing something retarded.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
I haven't had mine leak yet. But then again the drain valve on the Home Depot one you have to have enough oil in the can to be above the top of the inside of the drain valve, about 1/8" for it to be used. Never got that much at one time so I just unscrew it and wipe it clean. Make sure you plug up the main airbox and the back of the airfilter housings also. I used the caps with rtv to hold them in place. If you need any more help just give me a shout. I know how frustrating it can be. I haven't been happier since I installed mine. I have only gotten a couple of drops in the can since. I believe that was because I was riding it pretty hard that day.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The previous owner (Matt) had it professionally done already, and has after-market air intakes.

With the compression kit he put in, it was just too much pressure and was spraying oil out of the hose at the joints on his set up. (had a filter/breather at end of hose)

I put this set up with the filter in line, hoping it'll fix the problem. I still need to test it more, but oil is still making it down to the filter at the end. Maybe I need multiple filters in line, lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts