M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put on a gel seat and noticed I could handle longer rides with less fatigue.
Has anyone noticed that benefit from the air ride setup?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I have only ridden a 9 with an air ride around the block but the difference is unbelievable. It is night and day. It is like riding on a cloud. You can compensate for road conditions. You can dampen the shock 16 (I think) different settings to soften or harden it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have only ridden a 9 with an air ride around the block but the difference is unbelievable. It is night and day. It is like riding on a cloud. You can compensate for road conditions. You can dampen the shock 16 (I think) different settings to soften or harden it.
Yes it's alot better by a mile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
cool!
Do you have to use the stock bones? I have 2 1/4
First, yes, air ride can help fatigue on long rides if you put it to a softer setting.

Yes, you need to go back to the stock bones. If you keep the 2" bones, where you are now is all the higher you will go and when you slam it, it will stop dropping when the fender sits on the tire. Do consider that there is no need to the lowering bones though because you can go all the way from stock height to dropped well past even 3" bones.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First, yes, air ride can help fatigue on long rides if you put it to a softer setting.

Yes, you need to go back to the stock bones. If you keep the 2" bones, where you are now is all the higher you will go and when you slam it, it will stop dropping when the fender sits on the tire. Do consider that there is no need to the lowering bones though because you can go all the way from stock height to dropped well past even 3" bones.
YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!
Thanks!
I will do it then

·
Registered
211 Posts
How do you adjust the air ride. I see the black knob with + and - and I turn it and I don't notice anything happening. Mine is a little soft I hit a bump and bounce about 3 times.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
gotta wonder why there is 16 settings . Im sure you cant tell the differance between a setting on 12 against 15. thats if you can remember what number the click was lol.

or have they got the act together and put numbers on it?

air ride less fatigue. Not likely, Not when i had it anyway. was like a pogo stick no matter what setting i was on.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't see any numbers on it but it only turns about 1/8 turn in either direction.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
To be going by the dial, you would need to be at the same air pressure to compare one to another.

You can do most of your adjustment with the air pressure.

At max height, plus some air, it is rather stiff.

Drop it an inch or so under load, you have a Caddy.

If you got Pogo, you were provably on the kewl metal system with a bag on each side rather than one spring and one bag on the Arnott.

The less fatigue part is in the Caddy ride, where it is soft enough to absorb all of the highway bumps that your body wold usually be feeling and responding to. With that gone, you fight the road less and feel better after a stretch of highway.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,865 Posts
How do you adjust the air ride. I see the black knob with + and - and I turn it and I don't notice anything happening. Mine is a little soft I hit a bump and bounce about 3 times.
I don't see any numbers on it but it only turns about 1/8 turn in either direction.
You rotate it clockwise (in the direction of the +)to make it stiffer, and counter-clockwise (towards the -) to make it softer. The ride height, or air adjustment, has little to do with how stiff it is unless you pump it all the way up. The adjustment knob controls the hydraulic dampening.

On most of those that I've seen, you have to lower it down or take the pressure off it to make it easier to turn the knob. But there are distinct clicks on it. If it feels like it's only turning a little, it's probably right where it's trying to click to the next setting.

You can tell if it's making a difference by airing it to where you want to ride it and bounce on it. If you go all the way stiff and all the way back to soft there is a lot of difference. All the way stiff will hardly allow it to bounce at all.

And this reminds me of why I went back to lowering bones, they are simple and hassle free. :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will try it in the morning when I get home.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The ride height, or air adjustment, has little to do with how stiff it is unless you pump it all the way up.
I am not sure if we are disagreeing or not.

I did say by going all the way up, plus some air, you can get it stiffer.

For me, that works out, as I only want to stiffen it up when I am at full height for the twists.

When I hit the highway, I drop it a little and then I am basically on the dampening knob. Once you are low enough not to top-out the suspension, you get the same softness the entire way down in height drop.

So, I think we are kind of agreeing. I am not sure the difference you are pointing out makes a real difference though.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,865 Posts
I was saying that if you pump it up tight, it gets really stiff. If you pump it up enough you can't soften it with the dampening adjustment. Anything less than pumped up tight and all the way down the adjustment will affect it.

I guess even pumped all the way up the dampening could have an affect, provided it still has some downward travel. And I'm not sure the compressor can pressurize it enough that you could not get it to move downward.

I think we're saying the same thing.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
i had the Arnotts and when me and the missus were both on it i had to pump it up about another 20mm, and it still scraped on the odd dip in the road. didnt want to go and further incase it went pop .
and no she isnt a big Momma lol

·
Registered
369 Posts
:agree:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts