M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is no helmet law in Illinois, I recently moved here from Michigan (which dropped their helmet law recently), I really can't see myself without a helmet.

video
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Holy crap. Where did they get all those wreck videos?

Ouch.

I totally agree with a helmet but I think it needs to be our choice. People have the choice to smoke and that kills way more people than no helmets. Second hand smoke kills more people than more helmets.

If it's just about saving lives so many more things can be done in this country than helmet laws.

I am married though and want to see my wife again and I wear a helmet because of that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,121 Posts
I think my helmet needs a helemt now.

I would not ride without it. Period. You steal my hemet while I am out.... I call my wife to bring another or I take a cab home.
If my car has to leave my driveway to turn around I put my seatbelt on.

I agree to some extent with having a choice, and that there are many more legal dangers. When you think about it many decisions YOU make can affect me financially if you end up like the guy in the video or in the hospital with cancer and noe med coverage. That part sucks.
The florida law where you must have extra insurance is a start but not a cure-all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
898 Posts
After having two wrecks like those with cars turning in front of me...I use to would never ride without one...I mostly rode sport bikes...After years of those style bikes I bought a cruiser in 04 and found myself with a big bike with a big windshield and not feeling the need to wear one sometimes... Back to a sport back the last year and a half and always had a helmet....Have had a helmet on the 109 so far every time but big cruisers do lull you into thinking you can get away with not wearing one....or wearing one of those bikini model helmets which are kinda like the difference in briefs and a thong...they just don't cover much....

khrome
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Man, for me and the wife it doesn't matter if were on the Harley Ultra Classic or the M109, we both sport black Shoei X-11's. Yeah, we may not be as "cool-lookin" as some folks, but I've been down once, and like the idea of my face and head having at least a FIGHTING chance at survival if (when?) it happens again.

That's just me. If you don't want wear one, I guess that's your thing. As my old man says "it's your mouth, you can shovel coal with it if you like". Same for logic for helmets I reckon.

In any event, I hope everyone stays safe and keeps the shiney side up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
rider's choice. silly laws of this nature are not what the governments are there for. the government having their hand in everything we do is the reason we pay so much in taxes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
phaed said:
rider's choice. silly laws of this nature are not what the governments are there for. the government having their hand in everything we do is the reason we pay so much in taxes.Â
couldn't have said it any better..... Most of the people who preach that they won't ride without a helmet will light up a cigarette as soon as they get off of the bike. Now that makes sense...

and yes I've been hit and it sucks, but I believe it's my choice...

$.02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,579 Posts
L-Train said:
If it's just about saving lives so many more things can be done in this country than helmet laws.
I'm not about to take a side in the debate, but I'll let you know that it isn't about trying to save your life. It's about medical costs. You see, not everybody that doesn't wear a helmet dies. A lot of these people end up with very serious head injuries. Some of these end up in what's called a persistent vegetative state. Does Terry Shaivo (sp) sound familiar? The costs of caring for these people for the rest of their lives falls back on you and me, and it's an exorbitant cost. Even the ones that recover from serious closed head injuries incure sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical costs and even more in rehabilitation. These costs also get passed on to you and me, be it in higher insurance costs or by our tax dollars covering their Medicare expenses. That lady in the first video appears to be decked out in safety gear with a quality armored leather jacket and a full face helmet. She likely suffered minimal injuries from that wreck. Had she not been decked out and using a helmet, she would most likely have suffered some sort of closed head injury which would require a lengthy stay in a neuro ICU and possibly a lengthy rehab. If the choice is yours, just remember that you don't always die when not wearing one. Instead, you leave your family with the burden of caring for your body for the rest of your life. A lot of wrecks happen at lower speeds, but riders still end up with serious or life-threatening injuries because of their choice to not wear a helmet. Yes, there truely are worse things than death.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,579 Posts
J R said:
Truth is I happen to be great friends with a couple trauma doc,s at the local hospital and you'll be happy to know most motorcycle accident's they see are people usually losing a limb.Not head injury's..........
I'm not gonna dispute what you, yourself are saying. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I will, however, say that if your trauma doc friends really said that, I would request a drug screen, cause they are smokin' something. I have been a paramedic for over 9 years now. Yeah, I know I'm nowhere near the level of a trauma doc, but I can promise you that I've picked up more than my share of motorcycle wreck patients. I can promise you that head injuries lead the pack in areas where helmets aren't required. I can also assure you that head injuries are top injuries in patients that wear the skull cap helmets with little to no padding. If those docs don't see many head injuries, I bet they live in a state where helmets are mandatory, or it's because the bad ones don't make it to them.... in other words they get taken directly to the morgue. Fact is, if a rider is involved in a wreck bad enough to cause loss of limb, the forces involved are quite great. This means that usually, at some point in this crash, the head will come in contact with something very hard. If the head isn't protected, the rider will have some form of head injury, be it something mild like a concussion to something more severe like subdural hematomas or what's known as diffuse axonal injuries. Don't get me wrong, helmets aren't a guarantee for preventing head injury. I have picked up my share of fatalities where the patient was wearing a helmet. The difference with these from the ones where the rider wasn't wearing a helmet is usually the victim can have an open casket funeral. I've picked up my share of brain. It isn't a pleasant experience. Your trauma docs need to quit misleading people with that BS. To say head injuries aren't one of the major injuries suffered in motorcycle crashes.... especially ones where no helmet was worn, is a blatant lie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Just an observation from MN: Its my perception the no helmet thing is a Harley image icon. The reason is I can ride down the road and 9 out of 10 HD riders wont have a helmet and 9 out of 10 metric riders do. Now then I have to ask myself, would I risk my head and face to fit someone else's established image? When I was in the Navy the Chief of our boat used to love the following statement when someone screwed up " the stupid shall be punished" That little statement has popped up in my mind many many times since those days with some of the daily events you see.

Blur, MN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
I was wearing my helmet when I wrecked my Banshee, also a chest protector, gloves, and boots. Glad I had every piece of safety gear on or I probably would not be enjoying this sport anymore.

HELMETS ARE THE WAY NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
I heard that report the other day going to work. (XM Radio carries CNN). It was a fairly biased report but they did have a point. Helmets are better than nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Medic1210 said:
I'm not about to take a side in the debate, but I'll let you know that it isn't about trying to save your life. It's about medical costs. You see, not everybody that doesn't wear a helmet dies. A lot of these people end up with very serious head injuries. Some of these end up in what's called a persistent vegetative state. Does Terry Shaivo (sp) sound familiar? The costs of caring for these people for the rest of their lives falls back on you and me, and it's an exorbitant cost. Even the ones that recover from serious closed head injuries incur sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical costs and even more in rehabilitation. These costs also get passed on to you and me, be it in higher insurance costs or by our tax dollars covering their Medicare expenses. That lady in the first video appears to be decked out in safety gear with a quality armored leather jacket and a full face helmet. She likely suffered minimal injuries from that wreck. Had she not been decked out and using a helmet, she would most likely have suffered some sort of closed head injury which would require a lengthy stay in a neuro ICU and possibly a lengthy rehab. If the choice is yours, just remember that you don't always die when not wearing one. Instead, you leave your family with the burden of caring for your body for the rest of your life.  A lot of wrecks happen at lower speeds, but riders still end up with serious or life-threatening injuries because of their choice to not wear a helmet. Yes, there truly are worse things than death.
I am also paying for murderers on death row, car accidents due to alcohol, people dying in the hospital from smoking, people who lift to much at work and live off the system for years. There are so many things that I pay for that I guarantee you these motorcycle accidents don't even come close to the top ten. My sis in-law had a baby on the state, I paid for it in taxes, my illegal alien bro in-law was in a drunk driving accident, I paid for it through the state and he has never paid taxes in 18 years of illegal residency. I pay for so much garbage that trying to tell me I pay for some of these peoples head injuries doesn't even bring it on my radar.

I have known 2 people who have died on a motorcycle, I have known 7 who have committed suicide and I have known over 20 die in alcohol related car accidents. Also I haven't always lived in Utah I have lived in Phoenix and LA.

These are things I pay for to live in a free country and I will not support reducing others freedoms to save me one hundredth of a penny a year. If this is the case lets limit cars to 65 mph and make you turn in your licence at 68 and pass laws to stop cell phone usage in vehicles and outlaw cigarettes and alcohol. I live in the rockies and I promise I spend more money on hiker retrieval than motorcycle accidents and last year we had 18 people die hiking and 6 die on motorcycles. Lets stop people from hiking. Also I agree with JR and the pools, how many of those kids are brain damaged from oxygen deprivation? I know personally 3 people with diabetes that refuse to eat properly and they are all on disability for it and I am paying for their wellfare checks and surgeries because they have to have a bigmac and ice cream.

I just read an article on ethanol subsidies and mandatory requirements for blended gas and that is going to cost us 680 million in taxes a year. Probably significantly more than every motorcycle accident/victim in the country. We could find a hundred other things to save more money and a hundred other things to save more lives.

You can't legislate everything and I guarantee that we can save more lives and money by making cigarettes illegal. I don't smoke myself but it's a free country and I am darn glad I live in it.

I also pay way more for my own disability insurance than I pay to pay for some of these poor souls.

I wear a helmet and always will but I am not going to force one onto my neighboors head if he doesn't want it and he better not force one onto mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
L-Train said:
I am also paying for murderers on death row, car accidents due to alcohol, people dying in the hospital from smoking, people who lift to much at work and live off the system for years. There are so many things that I pay for that I guarantee you these motorcycle accidents don't even come close to the top ten. My sis in-law had a baby on the state, I paid for it in taxes, my illegal alien bro in-law was in a drunk driving accident, I paid for it through the state and he has never paid taxes in 18 years of illegal residency. I pay for so much garbage that trying to tell me I pay for some of these peoples head injuries doesn't even bring it on my radar.

I have known 2 people who have died on a motorcycle, I have known 7 who have committed suicide and I have known over 20 die in alcohol related car accidents. Also I haven't always lived in Utah I have lived in Phoenix and LA.

These are things I pay for to live in a free country and I will not support reducing others freedoms to save me one hundredth of a penny a year. If this is the case lets limit cars to 65 mph and make you turn in your licence at 68 and pass laws to stop cell phone usage in vehicles and outlaw cigarettes and alcohol. I live in the rockies and I promise I spend more money on hiker retrieval than motorcycle accidents and last year we had 18 people die hiking and 6 die on motorcycles. Lets stop people from hiking.  Also I agree with JR and the pools, how many of those kids are brain damaged from oxygen deprivation?  I know personally 3 people with diabetes that refuse to eat properly and they are all on disability for it and I am paying for their wellfare checks and surgeries because they have to have a bigmac and ice cream.

You can't legislate everything and I guarantee that we can save more lives and money by making cigarettes illegal. I don't smoke myself but it's a free country and I am darn glad I live in it.
I think you make some very valid points L-Train.

For me, I always wear a helmet. I went down very hard one time, and feel that I wouldn't be here today typing this response if I wasn't wearing my helmet.

However, I believe that wearing a helmet should be a personal choice and just because wearing one is right for me doesn't mean it's right for everybody.
 

·
M109Riders Founder
Joined
·
8,014 Posts
These debates can go on forever but this is what I just posted on the VTX board about this. ::)

Let me start by saying that I think we should have the choice to wear one or not. I'm glad my state has a helmet law because I don't wear one when I have the choice not to. I need a law to make me wear one or else I won't. Things have happened in my life that may have changed my thinking on that though.

I have been in plenty of wrecks with and without a helmet and the one time that I was rear ended on the freeway I was glad I wore my helmet that day because I had my rear tire tracks on the back of my helmet where my bike went over my head. If I had not been wearing a helmet that day I would have been dead, or at least I hope it would have killed me.

I say that I hoped it would have killed me because I am dealing with a family situation now where my brother-inlaw may wind up coming to live with us because he was in a wreck without a helmet and did have brain damage and has not fully recovered and is about to loose his job and everything he owns because of it.
My wife spent several hours on the phone with him last night trying to talk him out of killing himself. He is so depressed that he can't stand the fact that he can no longer do the simple things he use to do.

So if you think that not wearing a helmet should be a personal choice and that it won't effect anyone but you, you may be wrong. John has been riding for 30+ years and lives clear across the country from us but now he is going to greatly effect my family's life because he chose not to wear a helmet one day. Something to think about.
 
1 - 20 of 134 Posts
Top