M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have 2 vtx's and have always been big supporter of the vtx crowd. Yesterday we put in about 250 miles with my vtx friends. We all wanted to see how the m109 would do from standing starts and from rolling speed. The first time we did it we went across the sunshine skyway going up hill. We do this regularly on our vtx's to compare bikes. I knew fith would be to high because we usually try to hit it around 80 while running side by side. I told the other guys to drop into 4th so we were all in the same gear.

When we hit guess what happened??? They left me in the dust for several bike lengths before I could make up the ground. No that didn't make me happy. As I thought about it I realized that the vtx is in the perfect speed at 80 in 4th gear to take advantage of the torque. The 109 is 1 gear to high.

So we did it again and I was in 3 rd this time and they were in 4th and hit it around 80. Guess what I blew them away from the word go and just kept pulling away. So the moral is if you are running on the open road and think you are going to run a vtx make sure you are in the right gear or you will be sorry.

They all love the 109 and were very impressed by the end of the day. To finish the night off we left the bike night in Zephyr hills and ran with a few valkryie guys. They have some pretty modified bikes and if you are not familiar with the valk they can flat run.

We did several rolling runs and on standing run onto the highway on ramp. It was never close. I even let the valk get a jump once to see if I could catch him, which I did with no problem.

So far the only bike that has run with the 109 is my buddies vrod that has hardkrome pipes and pc 3. He runs a busa at the drags and knows how to make the vrod perform. I can get the jump from a standing start but it is neck and neck and pretty much comes down to not hitting the rev limiter.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just think if you had some mods done to the 109, then you should pull away from the Vrod as well.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
slickdj96 said:
Just think if you had some mods done to the 109, then you should pull away from the Vrod as well.
I think a normal vrod will do ok but from a standing start we can get the jump and hold on. The vrod I was running with is not a screaming eagle but some good mods and he knows how to tune it and ride it. if you had some curves on the road you should walk away from either bike.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i love it. thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
phaed said:
i love it. thanks for sharing with the rest of us.
No problem I love both bikes and had to find out with an honest rider just what the bike would do. I can feel the difference when I change bikes and love the vtx out of the hole. But spent some time yesterday getting the timing down on the 109 out of the hole and it as just as fun and runs out longer with the higher rpms. I must have left a 30 foot tire mark through one intersection trying to hit it without lifting the front wheel. Man this thing is fun!

·
Registered
93 Posts
:2cool: Thanks for sharing a lot of us came from X's ... so it is nice to have an inside.... keep the rpm's up and hang on :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
543 Posts
This is a gear bike,I mean right gear right speed.On my Valkyrie or Wing,you could be in 5th at 35,not on this animal.I just use 3 in town,and 4 and 5 for I state.I love the Vtx,but the fat tire kit is 3G's,so I just got a new bike,and Lamont got one so that was good enough for me.

·
Registered
398 Posts
So if a big tire kit for the X is around 3 g's ....would we be expecting to pay around the same for the 280 kit for the 109?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seabee68 said:
So if a big tire kit for the X is around 3 g's ....would we be expecting to pay around the same for the 280 kit for the 109?
Probably not since you already have some of the parts there the biggest expense will be the wheel and tire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts