M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
When i was stationed in Japan with the Marines I remember how locals went nuts for HD's over there lots of guys would bring their bikes sell em for a nice profit and buy a new one via the Military exchange HD program. I would never own an HD again (had an 883 back in the day) But if it keeps some guy's job from being outsourced or the whole company from going under sell em where you can!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
F*^%$ing figures

Labor is cheaper there. More :edit: American jobs shipped overseas means a higher profit on EACH bike sold here in the US. Doesn't Harley make enough as it is? It's all about that nasty dollar isn't it and at whose expense - OURS!

Taken from the article......
"What we are doing is made in USA, assembled in India, which will have a positive job effect back home which is why we are driving this investment as quickly as we are," Anoop Prakash managing director for Harley Davidson India told CNN.

Answer me this, "How in the f^%$ is it going to have a positive job effect back home?????????

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Labor is cheaper there. More :edit: American jobs shipped overseas means a higher profit on EACH bike sold here in the US. Doesn't Harley make enough as it is? It's all about that nasty dollar isn't it and at whose expense - OURS!

"What we are doing is made in USA, assembled in India, which will have a positive job effect back home which is why we are driving this investment as quickly as we are," Anoop Prakash managing director for Harley Davidson India told CNN.

Answer me this, "How in the f^%$ is it going to have a positive job effect back home?????????
Nothing like a "ALL AMERICAN" company moving there business over seas. Unbelievable. :verymad:

Make you wonder, since they are hurting with sells already, do they think the cheaper labor over there will help them lower the prices of there bikes to improve sales??

Ive always like Harley, but this is disturbing..

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Nothing like a "ALL AMERICAN" company moving there business over seas. Unbelievable. :verymad:

Make you wonder, since they are hurting with sells already, do they think the cheaper labor over there will help them lower the prices of there bikes to improve sales??

Ive always like Harley, but this is disturbing..
I guess the Harley people can't $itch about us having a foreign bike anymore, Can they? How ya doing D ride??

·
Banned
15,179 Posts

Because OBammy said so on the Main stream boob tude, That;s how...................Total lie and deceit!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Truth is bro

That Harley may be made in the US but the parts aren't and haven't been for some time now. Check out this article:
Harley executives face questions on job cuts, outsourcing

By Rick Barrett of the Journal Sentinel
April 25, 2009
Related Coverage
http://www.jsonline.com/business/43699382.html

Job cuts at Harley-Davidson Inc. caused a stir at the annual shareholders meeting Saturday, with employees and shareholders questioning the cost-reduction measures.
In January, Harley said it was cutting 1,100 factory and office jobs in 2009 and 2010, including hundreds of positions in Milwaukee.
This month, the company said it planned to eliminate 400 more blue-collar jobs as it scales back production.
Harley expects 2009 to be an extremely challenging year as consumers pull back on motorcycle purchases because of the recession.
A deeper analysis of production requirements showed that more job cuts were necessary, according to the company.
"In today's environment, and going forward, our fixed cost structure is simply too high," Jim Ziemer, president and chief executive officer, told shareholders.
"Our objectives are clear and straightforward," Ziemer said. "We need to reduce excess capacity and make changes that will enable us to be more competitive for the long term."
Harley plans to close its Capitol Drive plant in Wauwatosa in 2010. It also is closing its Franklin distribution center this year, outsourcing that work.
The company remains focused on getting through the recession, according to Ziemer, who retires May 1 and will be replaced by Keith Wandell, Johnson Controls Inc. president and chief operating officer.
"I can assure you that we have not made these decisions lightly," Ziemer said. "These are extremely difficult decisions because they impact people who are not just employees but often are friends and fellow motorcycle riders."
Some shareholders questioned the job cuts and whether Harley's management was sharing in the cost-cutting pain.
"When that production line worker gets laid off, he takes a 100% cut in his pay," said Robert Truty, a shareholder from Chicago.
Truty said he was upset about Harley getting parts, accessories and clothing from overseas companies.
"I want to keep this iconic company all American. I am a union guy and these are my union brothers," he said.
Sometimes outsourcing work is necessary to protect the company's interests, Ziemer said.
"We have an obligation to take the actions that will help sustain Harley-Davidson as a strong, viable company over the long haul. Those same actions will allow us to be a strong employer," he said.
Also at the meeting, held at the Harley-Davidson Museum, shareholders approved a proposal for board members to serve one-year terms and be up for election annually. Currently they serve three-year terms and are re-elected at different times.
The company opposed the measure, saying shorter terms wouldn't give directors time to become familiar with many issues.
Ziemer said the proposal, which is nonbinding, will be seriously considered by the board.

I guess the Harley people can't $itch about us having a foreign bike anymore, Can they? How ya doing D ride??

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Every corp ditching American workers to survive. Sad state of affairs , this economy is....... Ride the wave and keep your powder dry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

That Harley may be made in the US but the parts aren't and haven't been for some time now. Check out this article:
Harley executives face questions on job cuts, outsourcing

By Rick Barrett of the Journal Sentinel
April 25, 2009
Related Coverage

Job cuts at Harley-Davidson Inc. caused a stir at the annual shareholders meeting Saturday, with employees and shareholders questioning the cost-reduction measures.
In January, Harley said it was cutting 1,100 factory and office jobs in 2009 and 2010, including hundreds of positions in Milwaukee.
This month, the company said it planned to eliminate 400 more blue-collar jobs as it scales back production.
Harley expects 2009 to be an extremely challenging year as consumers pull back on motorcycle purchases because of the recession.
A deeper analysis of production requirements showed that more job cuts were necessary, according to the company.
"In today's environment, and going forward, our fixed cost structure is simply too high," Jim Ziemer, president and chief executive officer, told shareholders.
"Our objectives are clear and straightforward," Ziemer said. "We need to reduce excess capacity and make changes that will enable us to be more competitive for the long term."
Harley plans to close its Capitol Drive plant in Wauwatosa in 2010. It also is closing its Franklin distribution center this year, outsourcing that work.
The company remains focused on getting through the recession, according to Ziemer, who retires May 1 and will be replaced by Keith Wandell, Johnson Controls Inc. president and chief operating officer.
"I can assure you that we have not made these decisions lightly," Ziemer said. "These are extremely difficult decisions because they impact people who are not just employees but often are friends and fellow motorcycle riders."
Some shareholders questioned the job cuts and whether Harley's management was sharing in the cost-cutting pain.
"When that production line worker gets laid off, he takes a 100% cut in his pay," said Robert Truty, a shareholder from Chicago.
Truty said he was upset about Harley getting parts, accessories and clothing from overseas companies.
"I want to keep this iconic company all American. I am a union guy and these are my union brothers," he said.
Sometimes outsourcing work is necessary to protect the company's interests, Ziemer said.
"We have an obligation to take the actions that will help sustain Harley-Davidson as a strong, viable company over the long haul. Those same actions will allow us to be a strong employer," he said.
Also at the meeting, held at the Harley-Davidson Museum, shareholders approved a proposal for board members to serve one-year terms and be up for election annually. Currently they serve three-year terms and are re-elected at different times.
The company opposed the measure, saying shorter terms wouldn't give directors time to become familiar with many issues.
Ziemer said the proposal, which is nonbinding, will be seriously considered by the board.

G

·
Every corp ditching American workers to survive. Sad state of affairs , this economy is....... Ride the wave and keep your powder dry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Now we can see how hypocritical the Harley pukes really are. No longer made in USA.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Good god, just when you thought the quality couldn't get any worse, we now have a HD with mainly foreign sourced parts built in India. I wonder what the corporate profit margins will look like once ALL HD are made and assembled overseas. I'm willing to bet a substantial increase over the current American bike division margin. I smell an increase in "shipping cost" for each bike which will ultimately result in an even higher retail price and make them even more outrageously priced. Pathetic.:verymad:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Indian models for Harley's marketing campaign

Nothing like the fresh curry smell of a new bike...:joke:
More Americans losing their jobs...Pretty sad...:mad:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Now we can see how hypocritical the Harley pukes really are. No longer made in USA.
No chit. I'm going to our Harley shop tomorrow and ask them , WTF are you doing and what ya gotta say now about my 9 ?? Every time i go in there, " Are you ready to upgrade?" I laugh and say, " I already did, I bought a 9. They don't laugh much. I will; be the one laughing now, as i am walking out their door............

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
UGgggggggggggggggggggg

I think I'm going to be sick....:barf:

Nothing like the fresh curry smell of a new bike...:joke:
More Americans losing their jobs...Pretty sad...:mad:

·
Registered
147 Posts
wonder

wonder if they'll have new model names? 883 tikka,Electra korma,Fat boybudda,those die hard Harley boys are gonna be seriously pissed when they find out their Hogs are made from recycled washing machines,and their seats from recycled sandals...........

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,882 Posts
Even though the article didn't say they were going to build them in India then bring them back here for sale, you know that will be a step in the process at some time.

And I'm guessing those that are buying them will choose the ignore where they are made, just as they still like to think the bike is 100% made in the USA today.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Even though the article didn't say they were going to build them in India then bring them back here for sale, you know that will be a step in the process at some time.

And I'm guessing those that are buying them will choose the ignore where they are made, just as they still like to think the bike is 100% made in the USA today.
Ignorance is bliss

·
Registered
585 Posts
HAHA, Mangoes for Harleys, there are just TOO many jokes for this.
and they're getting ready to close the Hardley plant here in K.C.

Can't wait...................

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
"I've always wanted a Harley when I was growing up. I had little posters on my wall. I remember seeing Harley-Davidson and the Marlborough man, remember the old movies. It made people look so cool, so I thought why not?" Bhalla said.

how does a H-D make you look cool? unless cool is broke on the side of the road with oil spilling from your "2 wheeler"

1 - 20 of 40 Posts