M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just seems that these bikes have all fake chrome on them, it takes away from the feeling of having a real chromed bike, instead a fake plastic chrome bike? Just a feeling I have about my M109R????

·
Registered
849 Posts
Well, then you'll probably want to start replacing those parts with some heavier more expensive "real chrome" pieces. The aftermarket crowd is probably working on some nice billet parts already for those who want them. That should help remove your bad feelings about your 109, along with a few dollars from your billfold.
Jer

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I plan to replace as much plastic with carbon fiber pieces. Metal stuff just added weight. More weight means more mass which equals less gas mileage, more stress on the bike.

Just say NO to metal parts.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ditto - the bike is plenty "real" and plenty heavy just the way it is. The "real" bikers are looking for ways to trim off a couple of pounds not add them. This aint Milwaukee

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
My bike is light enough from the factory that I could handle another 2 coats of paint and another 2 coats of clear....
To me "real chrome" will last like a quality car bumper always did in the past. I don't care whats under the chrome.
7 years and thousands of miles from now if it is still beautiful it was "real" chrome

Sledzep

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
so your saying the real chrome will outlast the real chromed plastic parts......because i used to rent on of my business spaces to a chrome refinishing shop and it seems like they had plenty of work to do just refinishing those everlasting quality "REAL" chrome parts,why, because they have real metal under the chrome that still corrodes thus pitting and sheding the chrome. Nothing lasts forever but plastic doesn't corrode. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:
Sorry if I was unclear
Real chrome = chrome that lasts period. I have ZERO problems with plastic.

"I don't care whats under the chrome.
7 years and thousands of miles from now if it is still beautiful it was "real" chrome"

I do wonder if it will. My thought is that if the plastic flexes it might hurt the chrome on it but that is justr a guess/worry of mine.
On the plus side like you said. No steel underneath = no rust from underneath

Sledzep

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Most of the Hottest cars, Vetts, Vipers, Ford GT's and a host of foreign imports in the luxury category are plastic/fiberglass/carbon fiber. Quite frankly, as has been mentioned in several posts, I like the idea of "no rust" and reduced weight.

From a manufacturing stand point, if the unique body work on our 109 were made of steel we would have paid well over 18K for this machine. Metal stampings are a very expensive process compared to injection molding, which is the process utilized to produce a majority of the components on the 109. The most expensive single part/item on most cycles is the gas tank which is of course made of steel, and in the case of the 109, has a ugly welded exposed seam. I'm surprised that some cycle manufacturers haven't embraced plastic tanks for cruisers etc.. It may be a safety issue or possibly due to expansion and contraction due to sun light?

·
Registered
171 Posts
The only thing that bugs me is when I am cleaning the headlight cowl and I can hear that squeaking of the plastic parts. I quickly forgive the squeaking when the engine turns over!

Some carbon fiber stuff would look awesome on this bike, I am imagining.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I wouldn't mind blacking the bike out. I don't like all the chrome and flash. I like stealth and surprize. The more metal the more weight the slower the bike will go.

If you want Chrome Go HD.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Yes...this is a quality bike...if metal was used insted of the plastic...we would be 100 lbs heavier.

I may replace a FEW pieces depending on pricing.

·
Registered
525 Posts
rs87277 said:
It just seems that these bikes have all fake chrome on them, it takes away from the feeling of having a real chromed bike, instead a fake plastic chrome bike? Just a feeling I have about my M109R????
I think it depends on who you talk to. I do not feel my bike was cheaply made. It was engineered efficiently. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is the beauty of aftermarket. For those that want to replace various pieces parts with what they personally prefer.  Some people still just prefer various forms of metal over plastic/polymers whether that be in motorcycles, cars, pistol frames, cameras, or whatever. To each their own. In all of the items listed, personally prefer the use of plastic and polymers to benefit cost, weight savings, corrosion resistance, and often times, much stronger for the weight. But I support, without slamming, someone if their personal preference is billet or chromed metal, etc. That may be their priority and preference. To that I say modify away and enjoy. I won't tell you to switch to a HD just because you like billet and chrome.  But me personally, I'd love to shave another 40 or 50 lbs off every bike I own.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I am unimpressed with the seam in the gastank and the thin clearcoat.

I think that the plastic has nothing to do with cheap. It was used to give it it's shape.

A Hammer is 16,800
A Stratoliner is 16,000
A level 3 VTX is 15,500
A V-Rod is 17,500
Ours is 12,400. I can get the seam fixed for much less than 3 grand and my re-clearcoat was $200.

I make great money and could have purchased any of the above bikes but I like this bikes "personality/attitude" some of the above bikes are finished a little nicer but it shows in the price and they don't seem as fun to me.

They could have removed the seam and had better clearcoat but it's not cheaply made in my opinion.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I agree with everyone. Pastic or metal it does not matter. But if you want to spend alot of money on after marcket chrome then go ahead. ::) :eek:

·
Registered
849 Posts
I'm with yopu Chadx. That was the nature of my first response to this gentleman about his bad feelings.

Chadx said:
That is the beauty of aftermarket. For those that want to replace various pieces parts with what they personally prefer. Some people still just prefer various forms of metal over plastic/polymers whether that be in motorcycles, cars, pistol frames, cameras, or whatever. To each their own. In all of the items listed, personally prefer the use of plastic and polymers to benefit cost, weight savings, corrosion resistance, and often times, much stronger for the weight. But I support, without slamming, someone if their personal preference is billet or chromed metal, etc. That may be their priority and preference. To that I say modify away and enjoy. I won't tell you to switch to a HD just because you like billet and chrome. But me personally, I'd love to shave another 40 or 50 lbs off every bike I own.

G

·
I think the premise of your question is a little off base. The M109R is not intended to be a full fendered chromed out cruiser. It has its own style and I hope it stays that way. I am sure we will start to see a few that are redone with traditional fenders and bunches of add on chrome.

My personal goal is to make the bike be more with less. No chrome just for the sake of chrome.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I never hear anyone say... this GSXR is crap without metal fenders!
Thats the nature of that beast.... and we have a new thype of beast.
The HD streetrod has a plastic fender.....
I really dont care about much else than how I feel when I ride it.

PS can anyone point me to an extra WIDE helmet? I can barely keep my smile in the one Ive got :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts