M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Most places it's legal to turn after you stop
here in georgia it's legal to run a red light in any direction after you've "waited an appropriate amount of time".

about the hard drive, the platters are the only magnetic components. the head is electrical. i don't think either would produce the desired effect. traffic light detectors are basically big metal detector coils from what i understand. since our bikes don't have a lot of metal (at least relative to a car), something would have to simulate the induction caused. what comes to mind is another coil. this may be exactly what they have in those little boxes they sell. i'd love to bust one open.

·
Registered
721 Posts
phaed said:
here in georgia it's legal to run a red light in any direction after you've "waited an appropriate amount of time".Â

about the hard drive, the platters are the only magnetic components. the head is electrical. i don't think either would produce the desired effect. traffic light detectors are basically big metal detector coils from what i understand. since our bikes don't have a lot of metal (at least relative to a car), something would have to simulate the induction caused. what comes to mind is another coil. this may be exactly what they have in those little boxes they sell. i'd love to bust one open.
Actually the platters are not magnetic... There are actual magnets in there : )
Bust open an old Hard drive and see, they are VERY strong they will hold against each other when one is placed in your palm, and another on the back of your hand.....unless you have a thick paw  :D

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
SpeedStack said:
I've never really had a problem getting a light to change. I look for the cut outs in the street and try to get over them... I think the product is bogus.

Even my sportbikes could change lights

-chad
Quoted for truth... I have yet to have a light not change for me. I do the exact same thing and just drive directly over the cuts in the pavement. There is a coil in that cut that detects the presence of metal, not a magnet. Remember, that's a pretty big chunk of metal in between your legs. Just drive over those cuts, and you shouldn't have any problems.

That being said, maybe some systems aren't as sensitive as others. Maybe the ones I've tripped with my 109 have been newer, more sensitive systems. Purely speculation.

·
Registered
317 Posts
when i get stuck i just shut the bike down and restart. the magnetic field created by the starter is usually enough to trip the light. it has even worked with small bikes. there are a few stubborn lights but most of the time it works.

·
Registered
154 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
and we all do so enjoy a sensitive system :joke:just pull on the sensors there's enough metal i.e. the crank and frame.and the starter and other electrcal components would make a field so .......and if that don't work.....put the stand down(engine off,in gear ,as not to roll and fall off said stand)run across empty ,baron ,street push the button to walk in oppsite direction......run back, resaddle the steed and prepare to motor off......
Fritz?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
phaed said:
here in georgia it's legal to run a red light in any direction after you've "waited an appropriate amount of time".

about the hard drive, the platters are the only magnetic components. the head is electrical. i don't think either would produce the desired effect. traffic light detectors are basically big metal detector coils from what i understand. since our bikes don't have a lot of metal (at least relative to a car), something would have to simulate the induction caused. what comes to mind is another coil. this may be exactly what they have in those little boxes they sell. i'd love to bust one open.
Really?? Does that include Atlanta? or just outside the city lie right on red was for a long time??

Where are you in GA Phaed? I am in Marietta. There are 2 more 109's north of me in this area too. I have met one in person and one via PM. I hope to get a ride together soon.

·
Registered
138 Posts
:hot: :clap2:speedstack is on correct. don't wast your money. there are magnetic detectors in the road. they are 6ft wide x40ft long. there in the center of the lane-before the stop bar (big white line).if you go past stop bar or to far left or right the light will not change!!!!!!!!! i work on lights for a living as far as running a light and being legal.i would not bet on it

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
sledzep01 said:
Really?? Does that include Atlanta? or just outside the city lie right on red was for a long time??

Where are you in GA Phaed? I am in Marietta. There are 2 more 109's north of me in this area too. I have met one in person and one via PM. I hope to get a ride together soon.
And I'm in Lawrenceville near Sugarloaf Pkwy. We should all get together sometime and ride.

I've got one light near me that's a bear. I can sit at it all day. Last time I moved almost into the intersection so a truck behind me could get close enough to change the light. Other than that one light, I've had no problems.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Its simple just take a 12 pack with you when at a stop light drink several beers crush cans toss them around till light changes done :joke: repeat at all lights or untill out of beer

·
Registered
254 Posts
sledzep01 said:
I am tired of being stuck alone in some desolate turning lane...
Do those things work?
Are they all the same? or can you recommend one??

Sledzep
Most of the dating websites are the same

·
Registered
686 Posts
I go home at 1am, when there is virtually no traffic on the road. There are 3 stoplights around here that simply will not trigger for any bike I have ever ridden. There are not any visible cut-outs in the road to try to pass over, but I have tried going back and forth over different parts of the lanes to try to trigger it and it simply does no good at all. However, I can drive over it with my truck and trigger it immediately. It's not a matter of me doing it 'wrong' as I have tried every approach imaginable over several months time.

There is one light that does have a cutout and will trigger as long as I pass over it really slowly or stop right on it.

I think part of the problem might be that they may bury the sensors a bit deeper here in a winter state. The do some things like that a little differently here to avoid damage from snowplows. For example, California has those reflector bump things in between lanes on the highways. You can't have those here as the plows would dig them up every storm.

One other thing that is supposed to work if you do have cutouts is take your key and stick it into the edge of the cutout. The cutouts supposedly will sense that when you get it that close to the sensor coils.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts