M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I get a stream of off topic replies, LOL, I'm talking about the drive shaft lubrication on the 109.
It was a well known problem for the C50 and Volusia. They came from the factory with very little lubrication in the drive shaft. A few members were stranded due to this problem.
Everyone started removing them to check, only to find that somewhere around 80% of them needed grease.
Anyone checked he 109, to see if this is a similar problem?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I'd check with Lamont on this one! He actually had the drive shaft removed from the bike to do the 280 tire installation. In the pictures he posted of the procedure, I can't recall seeing any Zerk fittings on the u-joints??? Should it require routine greasing, there should be some info/recommendations in the Service Manuel.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
From the pics Lamont posted it almost looks like the final drive oil is used to lube the drive shaft... I may be whistling out my bung here, but thats just how it looks to me. By the way.. it took me almost an hour of looking to find said pictures so heres the link.

http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=830.msg9206#msg9206

Also, due the the encased design of this shaft, trying to grease zerks on it would pretty much require removing it entirely, which I think was a bit contrary to the "low maintenace" aspect of it.

Well, there you have my 2 copper pieces worth.. I'm going back out to bask in the sun 8)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yesss...dear god take me now. My wife asked me yesterday if she would mind of she went out of state for 2-3 weeks for a business trip. I should have hesitated at least one or two seconds before I answered.

·
Registered
67 Posts
pizzmor said:
Yesss...dear god take me now. My wife asked me yesterday if she would mind of she went out of state for 2-3 weeks for a business trip. I should have hesitated at least one or two seconds before I answered.
ROFLMAO, "god honey, I'll miss you. Are you sure 2-3 weeks will be enough time?"

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I had a drive shaft seal blow on my C90T last year. I was told that the drive shaft should be dry.
I'm thinking that Suzuki used the same design for the 109.

I'd be interested to know. If any silicone clogs the air vent from when they first put it together. It will blow the seal within about 2500 miles. The seal cost $9...

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DHandyman said:
From the pics Lamont posted it almost looks like the final drive oil is used to lube the drive shaft... I may be whistling out my bung here, but thats just how it looks to me. By the way.. it took me almost an hour of looking to find said pictures so heres the link.

http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=830.msg9206#msg9206

Also, due the the encased design of this shaft, trying to grease zerks on it would pretty much require removing it entirely, which I think was a bit contrary to the "low maintenace" aspect of it.

Well, there you have my 2 copper pieces worth.. I'm going back out to bask in the sun 8)
Well, I checked with Lamont. He said the shaft did look a little dry when he had it apart, and he wasn't sure if the shaft was supposed to be lubed by the engine oil or not. The manual didn't say either way.
One member in this thread also mentioned that Suzuki may want the shaft to be dry on purpose.
I'm not sure myself either way, but I do know this. Many owners of the Suzuki (Volusia/C50), had their bikes down for repair after their drive shaft failed due to lack of lube. Seems it was improperly lubed from the factory, and many of the seals were put in cockeyed making them leak what little grease was in there.
I never took my shaft apart. (Traded mine in for a 109), but I'm a little worried about this machine, becuase it's a very similar set up to the Volusia/C50.
I'm running mine pretty hard, and when I hear members talk about vibrations, I just can't help but wonder. Since Lamont said his looked a little dry, I wonder if there are any guru's that might know if the shaft on our 109's are supposed to be lubed independantly, and how much should be on them.
I don't really want to see anyone, or myself down with a costly repair due to poor lube and seals at Suzuki's end, like so many experienced with the Volusia/C50.
:confused:

·
Registered
411 Posts
VTtwinner said:
ROFLMAO, "god honey, I'll miss you. Are you sure 2-3 weeks will be enough time?"
I always say damn honey, again? LOL Well if you need anything just give me a call and this knowing she won´t

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Canuk said:
Well, I checked with Lamont. He said the shaft did look a little dry when he had it apart, and he wasn't sure if the shaft was supposed to be lubed by the engine oil or not. The manual didn't say either way.
One member in this thread also mentioned that Suzuki may want the shaft to be dry on purpose.
I'm not sure myself either way, but I do know this. Many owners of the Suzuki (Volusia/C50), had their bikes down for repair after their drive shaft failed due to lack of lube. Seems it was improperly lubed from the factory, and many of the seals were put in cockeyed making them leak what little grease was in there.
I never took my shaft apart. (Traded mine in for a 109), but I'm a little worried about this machine, becuase it's a very similar set up to the Volusia/C50.
I'm running mine pretty hard, and when I hear members talk about vibrations, I just can't help but wonder. Since Lamont said his looked a little dry, I wonder if there are any guru's that might know if the shaft on our 109's are supposed to be lubed independantly, and how much should be on them.
I don't really want to see anyone, or myself down with a costly repair due to poor lube and seals at Suzuki's end, like so many experienced with the Volusia/C50.
:confused:
 Â
I've had my 1999 VS800 since mid-2004....have only changed the final drive gear oil...never lubed any other way, never heard of any of the Intruder riders stranded due to reasons you listed. Wonder if those C50/Volusias were just low on final drive oil from factory, never changed, or if there were other issues they failed to mention?

·
Registered
135 Posts
bob109 said:
I'd check with Lamont on this one! He actually had the drive shaft removed from the bike to do the 280 tire installation. In the pictures he posted of the procedure, I can't recall seeing any Zerk fittings on the u-joints??? Should it require routine greasing, there should be some info/recommendations in the Service Manuel.
Whoaaa... (sorry, not trying to hijack the thread) but I was under the impression that the 280 would fit right under without this exercise????

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Look at the date on that post .............. alot has been learned since then :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Charles Darwin said:
Whoaaa... (sorry, not trying to hijack the thread) but I was under the impression that the 280 would fit right under without this exercise????
It will if the tire is mounted to the stock 8.5 inch rim! If you use DLP's Replicator 10 inch wide rim and hub you have to follow the mounting procedure outlined by Lamont!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
it may depend on the bike but the last shaft drive bike I had only had you greasing the engine side splines every two years and while you were at it the shaft was slid out and the slip joint needed a bit of grease. the slip joint should look familiar to anyone who has had the drive shaft out of a rwd car or pu because they have one too where it comes out of the transmission. It's like a cylinder with teeth cut through it lengthwise and allows the shaft to go back and forth as the suspension moves.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've never done it, but I read through the service manual, and as far as I could tell, you do not need to grease the drive shaft. You only need to grease the splines at either end, like Steve J said.
:p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts