M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is starting to happen more often now..

When i hit the starter button the motor will do a half turn then stop..I would then need to let off the button then hit it again to get it started...And every now and then i have to hit a third time..

So i wonder if i just need another battery or could it be something else i need to look at??
:dontknow:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like the battery to me. Had the same problem and a new battery fixed it.
So even though the battery will still start the bike...I should look at what it is doing as a warning to get another one soon???

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you have a multi meter use it on the battery as you start it..If it drops below 10 volts its done ( basically you are load testing the battery)
If I were you I'd take the hint...buy a battery...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After my last post i checked out the battery and seen that the posts were corroded...So i cleaned them off..And since i will be riding to work tomorrow..I'll get to try it out.....Imma try to get out early enough to check the battery with a meter before i go to work..(Good idea "briansm")

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you don't have a meter have someone fire the bike and you check the headlight If it goes really dim while being fired up that will tell you the same thing...hopefully the cleaning will solve..GOOD LUCK !

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
i'm guessing the corrosion on the terminals would be the culprit as to what you have been experiencing recently. but i would also suggest that if your battery is approaching 3 years of age or is older than that, then it is time for a new one. :bigthumbsup:

the gbat battery is pretty awesome. i highly recommend it.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,091 Posts
Notice if you're letting off the starter too soon. I was doing that and thinking it was the battery. It usually starts so easy I tended to just bump the starter button, and sometimes that wouldn't give it a good crank.

I got the Gbat and it is a great battery, but it will still do the same thing if you don't let it crank long enough.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Mine starts with just a bump when it's cold but after I've been riding for a good long while it takes longer. I think it's just the starter motor being hot. Car batteries are good for about 5 years, motorcycle batteries less. If you have 3 years on it I'd replace it anyway (easier at home than on the road somewhere).

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
battery corrosion will make it hard to start, I cleaned my car battery and it is fine now, my motorcycle battery has been hard to start for a few months and it was the battery although the light was still bright when I turned on the ignition, I put it on a charger but would not hold a charge so I had to replace it, starts just fine now

Doc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts