M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally ordering my new rims from Coastal Moto (Hurray for me, Hurray for me!:joke:) but I can't decide if I want to do the stock 8.5 with a 260 Metz or step up to a 10 inch 280. So my question is I have heard with a 280 you can't corner like you would on a stocker with a 250 or 260 is this true? I like the look of a fat tire and I like dragging my heels getting low, Hey I'm Getlow109:joke:. So is the 280 still good for cornering? And of course i am staying stock 18 x3.5 in the front and I do have my bike lowered 2 inches if it makes any difference.

So is it.....

18x3.5 with 8.5inch 260 or
18x3.5 with 10inch 280

I'll let the forum decide. Also I am going with the Genesis or Cyclones from Coastal Moto!

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I went with chrome stockers to save money. IF I had bought some aftermarket ones like you are doing, there is no way I wouldn't have gone with a 10 inch wheel.

10 inch all the way, bro! :doorag:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah Bobby but what about cornering?:dontknow: I mean I not doing high speed corners but I do like to get don't every now and then! I don't have to scrap the pegs if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Has anyone that went to the 10" and 280 ever complained about cornering or is it just those who have never been on the 280? I am genuinely asking here, as I have never seen anyone actually on the 280 complain.

I went with the 280 and can drag the pegs all day long.

The wider tire actually help if you are lowered by giving you that extra clearance when you are on edge.

Do go with the 160 up front though, to keep a more similar lean geometry.

·
Registered
913 Posts
A 280 doesnt hinder ur riding ability at all. Maybe some low pipes, but thats about it.

Luck06 has a 300 and a 6* front rake, and I bet there isnt anyone on this board that can hang with him, well maybe except JUtah.

Get the 10" wheel. You will love it. Start with a 280 and then you can always upgrade to a 300 if you want.

I love my 280 coastal moto legacys by the way

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone that went to the 10" and 280 ever complained about cornering or is it just those who have never been on the 280? I am genuinely asking here, as I have never seen anyone actually on the 280 complain.

I went with the 280 and can drag the pegs all day long.

The wider tire actually help if you are lowered by giving you that extra clearance when you are on edge.

Do go with the 160 up front though, to keep a more similar lean geometry.
This is exactly the kind of answering I am looking for!!! Thanks you are making my decision a lot easier!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Why go coastal moto when performance machine is having a ridiculously good sale going on right now? Also, my Metz 280 handle soooo much better than my stockers. If you have the chance to do a 280, jump on it and you won't regret it.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Yeah Bobby but what about cornering?:dontknow: I mean I not doing high speed corners but I do like to get don't every now and then! I don't have to scrap the pegs if you know what I mean.
Saturday, I was out ridding with my brother and his friend, both on sport bikes.

They never even gained ground on me in any corner and in fact, I lost them twice.

After dark, we ran a cool stretch of highway with looooong sweeping turns. I dragged my right peg doing a little over 110mph, for what seemed like several seconds.

When we stopped, they both asked if I had found magnesium feelers to leave the trail of sparks in that corner.

They are both now in love with the 9 and I expect them both to be considering one as their next bike.

You can corner just fine on a 280 with a 160 up front.

·
Registered
877 Posts
have a 10'' for couple weeks...just a lil slower on turn got use 2 it the 2nd or 3rd turn...and looks a lot better wit 280 i might add...:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with a 10inch and 280 from Coastal Moto... and there isn't a shop around that can touch his prices.. Rims, Tires, Tires mounted and Balanced and Shipped for one price.... think its $2699 the last time I talked with Jason... IF all else fails and you dont like the way it corners you can always sell it and get a 8.5 inch rim.. I SAY GO 10 inch and 280 you wont be disappointed! Whats the saying GO BIG OR GO HOME! :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Go 10, I have the 160/300 set up an about after 5 min of riding it handles just as good if not better! I would say better since I ride low with the air ride I had to be careful cuz I would drag the billet kick stand an the pipes before the pegs, now with the big tires I'm back to hitting the pegs first :bigthumbsup: so I would have to agree it's the guys that don't run them that bitc:edit:

·
Registered
738 Posts
I just put my 10-inch rear wheel on this past weekend, and as long as you don't mind pulling the final drive/driveshaft/primary drive every time you want to pull the wheel - by all means get the 10-inch wheel!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ended up getting the RC Component 10 inch with the 280 they were cheaper than the coastal moto shipped to Australia, with more designs to choose from. The finish was excellent. It is different to ride with the 280 especially after being lowered.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I don't think you can go wrong with a 10inch and 280 from Coastal Moto... and there isn't a shop around that can touch his prices.. Rims, Tires, Tires mounted and Balanced and Shipped for one price.... think its $2699 the last time I talked with Jason... IF all else fails and you dont like the way it corners you can always sell it and get a 8.5 inch rim.. I SAY GO 10 inch and 280 you wont be disappointed! Whats the saying GO BIG OR GO HOME! :bigthumbsup:
How about $2499 for the 160/280 with tires.:eek::D or $2399 stay stock with tires? Now I just need to start pricing Galfers!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Saturday, I was out ridding with my brother and his friend, both on sport bikes.

They never even gained ground on me in any corner and in fact, I lost them twice.

After dark, we ran a cool stretch of highway with looooong sweeping turns. I dragged my right peg doing a little over 110mph, for what seemed like several seconds.

When we stopped, they both asked if I had found magnesium feelers to leave the trail of sparks in that corner.

They are both now in love with the 9 and I expect them both to be considering one as their next bike.

You can corner just fine on a 280 with a 160 up front.
You've inspired me!!!:congrats:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
10" x 300Metz corners like a bad azz. and all the harley riders were druling at the bike ralley this weekend looking at that fatty. 3000 harley's and only seen 4 = 109s. Had one guy walking around the bike saying what a bad azz looking bike it was with all the chrome and fat tire then he seen the sticker above the tail light,and said thats a DAMM SUZUKI. I didnt want to talk stuff because there was kids and family around, and I didnt want to stoop that low.
Good luck Bro
Dam Guy

·
Registered
668 Posts
I thought you had to get a new (i.e. wider) swingarm in order to run the 10" wheel? Is this not the case?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts