M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont get me wrong I saw this bike and just had to have one so have had it for 2 weeks now and just had the first service done.thought I had a dud but after reading everything I saw on here it seems im not alone.my bike back fires sometimes from idle hot or cold no matter what fuel I run in it.the front brakes make funny noises and the rear chirps, the oil level has been a problem from day 1 (yes i check it properly) but everytime its different,the final drive shudders and vibrates different everytime I ride it(scary) the gearbox rumbles like its missing a tooth or the bearings are shot,the fuel gauge will say full the whole ride then within about another 20 kms (and no warning ) the low fuel light comes on( real handy) I love riding this bike and love the look of it just pisses me off to buy something new (for once in my life) and have all these problems with it.I mean isnt that why you buy a new bike for?let me know what you others think.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Brent said:
Dont get me wrong I saw this bike and just had to have one so have had it for 2 weeks now and just had the first service done.thought I had a dud but after reading everything I saw on here it seems im not alone.my bike back fires sometimes from idle hot or cold no matter what fuel I run in it.the front brakes make funny noises and the rear chirps, the oil level has been a problem from day 1 (yes i check it properly) but everytime its different,the final drive shudders and vibrates different everytime I ride it(scary) the gearbox rumbles like its missing a tooth or the bearings are shot,the fuel gauge will say full the whole ride then within about another 20 kms (and no warning ) the low fuel light comes on( real handy) I love riding this bike and love the look of it just pisses me off to buy something new (for once in my life) and have all these problems with it.I mean isnt that why you buy a new bike for?let me know what you others think.
First year bikes always have some sort of bugs, some more than others. ::) The new Goldwings had a real problem with the frame cracking! That took three years for them to fix. Talk about some ticked off owners. :swear: The oil thing is a problem but I don't see a real fix for that. ::) Funny noises are something you get use to with any new bike. Final drive shutter has a lot to do with being in the right gear at the right rpm. I know I've had to change my driving style a bit on that one. Yep, fuel gage will have you thinking you are doing great on mileage and then bam it hits the floor. I've never had a bike with a fuel gage so that's not a big deal to me, I always go by the miles I have traveled as to when I need to stop for fuel. I'm pretty happy with the fuel mileage on this bike.

It could be worst, you could have bought a 40K Boss Hoss and had to go through the whole bike to make it dependable. ::)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I think some issues are isolated...I'm work at BMW...and see the same thing , we pump out the all new 325i and occasionally you get that 1 car
that has tons of issues , software ....tranny,check engine lights , navi system doesn't work right...things just happen.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
EAGLEFAN67 said:
I think some issues are isolated...I'm work at BMW...and see the same thing , we pump out the all new 325i and occasionally you get that 1 car
that has tons of issues , software ....tranny,check engine lights , navi system doesn't work right...things just happen.
Those are the ones bult on Friday afternoon ;)

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have had mine for over a month and I have had none of the issues from this board.

The only issue I have seen was stripping my oil pan :redfaced:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have had zero problems coming up on 300mi, runs clear either under the hammer or deceleration, no leaks, no cracks, no lost bolts screws etc. On the fuel gage mine seems to show full for a long time then the Led's start to fall off but not all that fast. I have never seen the light come on as I have been gassing up at about 2 led's. Have not done an oil change yet, but I have checked it. Prob will this weekend before any long rides. Maybe a lot of the noise issues you are talking about would go away with some good synth oil. At least there are posts of quieter operation when moving to that. Oh I do have one problem, the post tramatic visions of my arms getting pulled out of the sockets when I twist the throttle real hard :)

Blur,MN

·
Registered
211 Posts
I most be on the wrong website. My bike runs flowless and no issues other that the diff. oil was not enough from the factory and I change it myself for 4.00 dollars and three minutes of my time and the noises on the brakes were all gone by the time I got 800 miles. My gas gauge works perfect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My bike's at 250 mi., and has had no problems (knock on wood).

Yes, I have the acceleration shake, it's almost fallen over once, the gas gauge drops like a rock, occasionally it will miss when I blip the throttle for a down shift, and it lugs at low RPM; but these are all easy to deal with. I haven't had the oil issue (yet), but I haven't had the first service either (I'll have to do that myself). And of course, the plastic chrome scratches way too easily.

The biggest issue for me is that the throttle is a bit too sensitive for my taste. I have roundabouts in my neighborhood and the only way to get around them without jerking is to shut the throttle completely and just let the bike idle through the tight turn at weenie speed (I guess it's better than crashing into a fence).

That said, I wouldn't trade the bike for anything. I've owned two bikes before this, and there is no comparison. This bike is a great ride, and an even better value.

Fred

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm now at 495 miles, asid from the brakes acting wierd making sounds, and adjusting my driving style, oh and the oil issue I have been lucky. I'm sure some people here have alot more miles on their bike than I do, and I'm hoping she will keep running stronger as time goes on. I have noticed a difference in how she runs. It is getting better as time goes on. Sonds are getting quieter with miles and she is touchy with the throttle. Boy is she touchy with the throttle! :eek: But this is much more fun to ride than the zx-12 I owned but about the same as the Vmax. I love her and hopefully the only problems I have are the oil issues that has been cleared up. Oh I do have a problem, the sliders are getting worn off way too quick. Guess I'm having too much fun in the twisties :D

·
Registered
600 Posts
Had the "oil over-filled" problem the second day. Didn't have the coolant leak until last weekend (1,700 miles). My gas gauge seems to work fine. The clutch cable had way too much slack in it, so I adjusted it. All-in-all, nothing that I couldn't take care of and was a learning experience, too. :read: I'm getting used to the shift from first to second sounding like someone's whacking an anvil with a hammer. :confused: I use the clutch a lot when driving around town to coast a little instead of giving myself whiplash from trying to feather the throttle. :dontknow:
I think I got my $12,000 worth, though. I look at this bike the same way I would an old muscle car. None of them handled like a BMW, rode like a Mercedes or had the fit and finish of a Rolls Royce. They just looked cool and hauled A$$ for a fraction of the price of the others, and could be personalized motor-wise and externally for a few bucks more. Pull up to the light... rev the engine... and know that more often than not you're gonna be the first one to the next light. Damned cool, IMHO :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine has only 225 miles on. I do have the backfiring on compression only. No overfill or leaks.
I feel the vibration but I had another bike with a cardan and it was doing the same at low rpm.

Coming from a cbr1100XX, i'm just not use to all the mechanical noises yet ::)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've got 2500 miles.
Ride every day, rain or shine.
Mine whines like a jet plane at low speeds.
I'm not going to complain since I rather like it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Had mine for almost a week, got just over 300 miles. My only problem so far, is that the idiots at the dealer put way too much oil in it and it was majorly blowing back into the left air filter. Two days ago I sucked about 1/2 qt out and it is just fine now. I did notice a slight cough yesterday when it was cold, but I attributed that to an oil soaked air filter.

I had an '87 ZL1000 Eliminator before, and I didn't think I would ever find a bike that I loved that much. But the M109 is it. This thing is more comfortable, and just as quick or quicker. I really enjoy riding it. I just can't wait to get past that first service, so I can open it up more.

G

·
Don't make the mistake thinking that the 109 is a horrible bike. These bikes are their in many new models of cars, electronics and so forth. Hang in there, Suzuki and the members on this site will work through them one at a time.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've put 500 miles on mine and the major thing I've noticed is significant vibration when excelerating between 3000 and 4000 rpm. But I love this bike! Even Harley guys keep asking me about this bike. They love it too! :doorag:

·
Registered
849 Posts
I'm amazed at how trouble free,for a new model, this 109 has been. I had a glitch in my speedometer that resolved itself.
Other than that, the bike is major attention getter, lightning quick, beautiful, handles great, and I love it. I've got over 4,000 miles on mine and they've all been fun!
Jer

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've been riding bikes since 1963 and all bikes ride and sound different. The more power the more different sounds. Especially the 109 with double overhead cam and full size pistons. Mine has been awsome. Only had to replace back brake pads and that was pads not the bike. Just tripped 3000 miles and bike is getting better all the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have app 500 miles on mine and it has been flawless. I think a lot of it has to do with riding style and what bike you had before. I had a Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600cc which I loved and which I am giving to my son tonight. It prepared my for the M109r. I find myself feathering the clutch more in the lower gears but am enjoying every minute.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have about 800 miles on my 9 and I have had no real problems. Clunks from first to second but when I shift better it sounds better. No oil issues and nothing falling off from being left loose. My dealer is Suzuki in Mesquite, Texas and they have some of the best working in the service dept. Hope things get better for the rest of you guys.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts