M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a Chrome SwingArm from DLP and I am presently running a 10"rim with 280 tire. Other than being stronger, would this swing arm allow me to change the tire without removing the hub like when it was a stock setup. Would appreciate pros and cons before spending the money. Thanks ahead Bruce

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Do a search on DLP before you buy that swingarm. There have been at least a couple of guys that had to modify the swingarm to get it installed properly. The quality control for the company that makes DLP's swingarms was lacking and might still be.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I am considering buying a Chrome SwingArm from DLP and I am presently running a 10"rim with 280 tire. Other than being stronger, would this swing arm allow me to change the tire without removing the hub like when it was a stock setup. Would appreciate pros and cons before spending the money. Thanks ahead Bruce
No, it does not! you must still remove hub. Also, JD is correct. Sometimes the swing arm does not fit without modding. Sometimes it does. Is it worth the money? IMO, only if you are going with the 300.

·
Registered
424 Posts
NO.... Hink installed mine and wrote about it....futruR did my 300 and moddin the fender......HE will have a huge write up and a "how to" ....
Hey, I am highly interested in this. I didn't see any threads started by Hink matching the description, and I couldn't find "futrur" or several other variants as a user. Did this information ever get posted? Thanks

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Hey, I am highly interested in this. I didn't see any threads started by Hink matching the description, and I couldn't find "futrur" or several other variants as a user. Did this information ever get posted? Thanks
there used to be lot of threads about it. Some of the Australian guys were complaining about the fit and having to remake the whole thing to get it to work and they were banned for talking about it and asking for refunds

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
there used to be lot of threads about it. Some of the Australian guys were complaining about the fit and having to remake the whole thing to get it to work and they were banned for talking about it and asking for refunds
Seeing you brought this up for whatever reason, the guy was offered a refund or a new part after he sent it back, he decided to modify it himself and then be reimburse for the work. That isn't how it works, if you get a bad part it has to be returned for a refund.
That would be like a guy getting one of your paint jobs and fixing it himself and having you pay for it. And he wasn't banned for that.

I run the steel swingarm and it works great. I run a 280 on it because it's not worth the extra work to run a 300 to me. The main reason I run a steel swingarm is because I don't trust the stock cast aluminum swingarm after seeing a few pics like this.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Seeing you brought this up for whatever reason, the guy was offered a refund or a new part after he sent it back, he decided to modify it himself and then be reimburse for the work. That isn't how it works, if you get a bad part it has to be returned for a refund.
That would be like a guy getting one of your paint jobs and fixing it himself and having you pay for it. And he wasn't banned for that.

I run the steel swingarm and it works great. I run a 280 on it because it's not worth the extra work to run a 300 to me. The main reason I run a steel swingarm is because I don't trust the stock cast aluminum swingarm after seeing a few pics like this.

so the steel swingarm you are running is that the DLP??? cause I wanted to get the DLP arm as well even if I just wanted to run a 280 rear.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yes. You still have to fish the wheel in by taking the hubs off but it does fill the fender just right.
Can you help point me in the right direction for search terms to find some of these 300 fabrication threads? I usually try my keyword and search post titles only, but vbulletin default does not allow you to search such small strings with 3 characters "300". I have tried "300mm", "swingarm", and multiple other variants but I have not really found anything useful.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Bruce, I've been running a 280 on 10 inch wheel for sometime now. I have the stock swingarm and honestly for the amount of money you will need to spend on the DLP arm, unless you plan on going to a 300 rear tire, it is a complete waste of money. I have had my bike since Feb 06 and been on this board from the beginning as well. The number of swingarm failures does not at all justify the expense. I can count on 1 hand how many have actually failed. Bad castings or in some cases operator problems could have caused these failures. In the end, it's your money but if you are that worried about the swingarm failing then you may want to replace the trans, hub and secondary drive since they have all failed at one time or another too.

Failures do happen with any mechanical product. But overall the failure rate on any one part on the M109 is no worse than any other bike or car on the market today. Bottom line you still need to pull the hub to change out the tire. I can tell you I have done it so much that it really is not that bad at all. I can do the whole job in an hour, give or take. For straight answers on the 300 topic reach out to LTT. He has had both 280 and 300 and is a sharp guy when it comes to this bike.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
You have not found it because his user name was originally misspelled--it should be futurR and here is a link his profile where you should be able to find all his post or thread started:

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/member.php?u=19524

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,137 Posts
Thanks. Haven't found anything yet though ;)
You need at least 4 characters to search, as you found out. To get that when you only have 3 characters, use a wildcard. I use an asterisk, so try typing 300* and see what you get. I just did and got a bunch, but beware it will pick up anything that has 300 in it at all, like 3000, 2300, etc.

And you can do multiple word searches to narrow it down. Use asterisks before and after to do that, which is the same as doing + between the words. Search for something like "300* tire". It won't find the words together necessarily, but they will be somewhere in the post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.