M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:bigthumbsup:

I got a Healtech FI programmer today, and in the instructions you have to disable the Lambda sensor, and disconnect the SET valve. Since I did not have a lot of time this afternoon, I started with the SET valve (as my bike is still stock minus the TRE). I knew after disconnecting it I would probably throw a code, so I wanted to handle all the electrical at the connector ONCE. That's tomorrow.

But I wanted to inform you guys with stock bikes that the rumor around with disconnecting SET valves and a so called limp mode is untrue, well in my case. I'm sure others can benefit too. Once the valve is disconnected from the rotor via the cables (easy), the spring on the valve places it in a fully open position I'm told. I am assuming all of this means better flow! However, you will get the FI light, instructions to disable are at the FAQ sticky.

I feel the same seat of the pants gains from this as I did from the TRE! Pulls even BETTER from mid to high RPM at part throttle to full throttle, and the light throttle cruising has no light stumbling/surging, which I have felt since I bought it.

I have also found that the exhaust has more of a rumble, little louder at the lower frequencies. Always a plus!

So, consider this mod if you are looking for seat of the pants, and are keeping stock exhaust. I plan to do this mod, K&N, and FI programmer for now.......
:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
:bigthumbsup:

I got a Healtech FI programmer today, and in the instructions you have to disable the Lambda sensor, and disconnect the SET valve. Since I did not have a lot of time this afternoon, I started with the SET valve (as my bike is still stock minus the TRE). I knew after disconnecting it I would probably throw a code, so I wanted to handle all the electrical at the connector ONCE. That's tomorrow.

But I wanted to inform you guys with stock bikes that the rumor around with disconnecting SET valves and a so called limp mode is untrue, well in my case. I'm sure others can benefit too. Once the valve is disconnected from the rotor via the cables (easy), the spring on the valve places it in a fully open position I'm told. I am assuming all of this means better flow! However, you will get the FI light, instructions to disable are at the FAQ sticky.

I feel the same seat of the pants gains from this as I did from the TRE! Pulls even BETTER from mid to high RPM at part throttle to full throttle, and the light throttle cruising has no light stumbling/surging, which I have felt since I bought it.

I have also found that the exhaust has more of a rumble, little louder at the lower frequencies. Always a plus!

So, consider this mod if you are looking for seat of the pants, and are keeping stock exhaust. I plan to do this mod, K&N, and FI programmer for now.......
:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:
If you pull the wire or put a different cam in the SET it will not through a FI light if done correctly. Having it default to open all of the time, you will lose some bottom end power as it does not have the back pressure.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,141 Posts
When I did my 2nd home made exhaust I left the SET valve in the system so I could experiment with the difference, and found basically the same as you. It did run stronger from the mid range on up, with not enough power loss on the low end to notice it. Maybe in hard pulls, such as on a mountain in 5th and turning lower rpms would it be noticed. But the benefit it gained on the top end made me disconnect mine. And the last two exhausts did away with it completely.

It makes sense that it would sound louder at idle too. The valve closes to about 80% closed at idle, so it's blocking some of the noise.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I saw on a site lastnight where they sell a $20 Faux set valve to fool the ECU. LOL Sounds like it would solve a lot of issues taking one out.> I cant remember where i saw it though , chezzzzzz

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,141 Posts
I saw on a site lastnight where they sell a $20 Faux set valve to fool the ECU. LOL Sounds like it would solve a lot of issues taking one out.> I cant remember where i saw it though , chezzzzzz
You can get them on DLP, and they come with most aftermarket exhausts. It's just a cam that you put on the SET actuator to make it think the valve is still hooked up. Easier to just remove the whole mess and pull the pin.

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6601&str=290

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FIT module installed and rockin'. Waiting on confirmation from FuturR, I have 13% more fuel from 0 to half throttle, 20% more at 3/4 throttle, and 30% at full throttle. Definitely an improvement, but will need some tuning. I recommend this mod. Install time for someone who knows this bike - 30 minutes. Newbie like me - 2 hours!

Highly recommend this be used with a TRE for full benefit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts