M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently have o2 sensors on my bike (Australian Model), and I think I need to disable them to use the PowrPro Black that I plan on installing. I like my stock exhaust, and want to keep it on after I drill it out.

I have also heard that if you disable the o2 sensor, the Cat converter can get clogged or fail.

Does anyone have experience with the PowrPro Black using o2 sensors? Do I need to disable them?

Can anyone confirm if I can just disable the o2 sensors (via a ECU flash), and what effect it will have on the Cat converter?

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,931 Posts
I currently have o2 sensors on my bike (Australian Model), and I think I need to disable them to use the PowrPro Black that I plan on installing. I like my stock exhaust, and want to keep it on after I drill it out.

I have also heard that if you disable the o2 sensor, the Cat converter can get clogged or fail.

Does anyone have experience with the PowrPro Black using o2 sensors? Do I need to disable them?

Can anyone confirm if I can just disable the o2 sensors (via a ECU flash), and what effect it will have on the Cat converter?
I suggest you talk (post your question) to Ausie or British/European sites. Here in USA and Canada we do not have O2 sensors.

But I also have a M1800R in Slovakia, using FI2000 PowrPro (predecessor of 'Black'), and I had to use O2 eliminators. I do admit

I do not have a clue what it does to CAT converter, my opinion is that Black will look after AFR so well that there is little or no chance

to cause CAT'S clogging... JMHO

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,931 Posts
How would it have any idea what the AFR is without having a feedback from O2 sensors?

BCS
PowrPro only provides proper AFR ( for max power) in acceleration, not when cruising,

the 'Black' one I hear one can manually adjust that as well. I feel it is not totally ideal,

but good enough for someone who doesn't know how to flash the OEM ECU like you do...

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
PowrPro only provides proper AFR ( for max power) in acceleration, not when cruising,

the 'Black' one I hear one can manually adjust that as well. I feel it is not totally ideal,

but good enough for someone who doesn't know how to flash the OEM ECU like you do...
I am not trying to give you a hard time thevili, just stating a fact...

Without feedback from a O2 sensor NO device is actually adjusting your bike to a specific AFR target......it might be trying to guess at one but it has no idea without getting some sort of feedback.

BCS

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I see nothing on the exhaust assembly of the North American M109R listed as Catalytic Converter.

Also a couple of quick google searches turn up that you need O2 sensors to work in conjunction with Catalytic Converters in most cases.

So to answer your question.....I still don't know for sure.....but it would appear that North American M109R's do not have them. :D

BCS

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cat converter

I have posted on oz site also, but I find there is a lot more riders active on this site, including a lot of Australian riders.

Page 12-4 of the service doesn't show a Cat converter for Australian models.

Does anyone know if the Australian model has cat converters in the stock exhausts?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I know this does not help any but so far is all I have found in reference to Cat-Converters on the M109R.

This is an articular by Top Speed magazine, it is from 2008 and does not reference what region the bikes it talks about are being sold in.

But it does say:

Suzuki's Exhaust Tuning (SET) has the purpose of improving combustion while it passes spent gasses through a catalytic converter and the 2-into1-into-2 exhaust system.
So now are we to believe that all models have Cat-Converters since all models have the "SET" valve and servo setup? :dontknow:

The plot thickens.....LOL

Look just below the picture of the R2 and you will see this in the article.

https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycle...uki/2008-suzuki-boulevard-m109r2-ar43270.html

BCS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.