M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Differential Leaking Gear Oil **Update**

I replaced my differential oil and replaced my rear tire and now the differential is leaking gear oil. I also replaced the crush washer on the drain plug. It looks like the oil is leaking from between the differential case and the wheel. It also leaks a little when the bike sits for a couple of days. There was no leak before I did the service work. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
its the large seal where the hub of the wheel fits into, did you lube the seal prior to reinstalling the rim, If you did get new seal and intall it it's easy to do.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
It sounds like you over filled the hub. I would say drain the hub and refill it with 7.2 oz of rear hub oil. You're getting overflow coming out of the breather hole that is at the top of the hub on the inside. It only leaks when you are riding it and the oil is being thrown around inside of the hub. The leaking that you see while it is sitting still is the oil residue that has already been thrown out of the breather hole. No big problem, drain it, refill 7.2oz and rinse off the hub real good. That should do it.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
He didn't say that he pulled the wheel off. All he did was change rear hub oil.

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
It sounds like you over filled the hub. I would say drain the hub and refill it with 7.2 oz of rear hub oil. You're getting overflow coming out of the breather hole that is at the top of the hub on the inside. It only leaks when you are riding it and the oil is being thrown around inside of the hub. The leaking that you see while it is sitting still is the oil residue that has already been thrown out of the breather hole. No big problem, drain it, refill 7.2oz and rinse off the hub real good. That should do it.
:agree::agree:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
unless you remove your wheel and clean the oil out of the space behind the hub it will not stop dripping immediately. give it a few days or even a week. oil is thicker than water and its goin to take a bit for it to run out.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
So is this a risk every time you unbolt to change tires??
only if you are a barney and slam the rim back on, clean seal and rim seal area, grease and go :doorag:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
It is possible to ruin the seal as they are saying above, but you'd need to be pretty rough on it it do that. As long as you put the axle bolt through part way to make sure it was lined up before you meshed the hub and rim you should be good and the leak will probably stop.
Tip: Spin the wheel lightly as you are putting it back on and it will have less chance of damaging the seal.

Also what oil did you use? what weight?

I was riding with Distant1 and he had oil EVERYWHERE on his rim. He said it had been leaking. Before he left I topped it off with the Lucas 80/90 heavy duty rear end oil. He said it hasn't leaked since.;)

That Lucas stuff is wonderful! If you have any doubts, drain and use the Lucas oil instead. I also lightly spin the rear tire as I am filling it to make sure it is dispersed evenly throughout.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is possible to ruin the seal as they are saying above, but you'd need to be pretty rough on it it do that. As long as you put the axle bolt through part way to make sure it was lined up before you meshed the hub and rim you should be good and the leak will probably stop.
Tip: Spin the wheel lightly as you are putting it back on and it will have less chance of damaging the seal.

Also what oil did you use? what weight?

I was riding with Distant1 and he had oil EVERYWHERE on his rim. He said it had been leaking. Before he left I topped it off with the Lucas 80/90 heavy duty rear end oil. He said it hasn't leaked since.;)

That Lucas stuff is wonderful! If you have any doubts, drain and use the Lucas oil instead. I also lightly spin the rear tire as I am filling it to make sure it is dispersed evenly throughout.
Thanks Huff, I used the Mobil syntheic 75/90 gear oil. I have used this type for 3 gear oil changes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Had this same problem down here a while back and found out the oil leaks from the breather on the inside of the diff houseing not from the seal. Changed the diff oil to full syntheic and no problem since

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have tried everything,draining the oil putting in 7ozs., taking wheel off cleaning everthing inside wheel and hub, checked the vent hole waited a week and it is still throwing oil out on the wheel. I will change the seal out Wednesday.:dontknow: I am using Mobil 1 systheic gear oil 75w90.

·
Registered
913 Posts
You either need to replace the big seal on the back plate or its leaking from the edge of the back plate and need to put new gasket sealer in there. Either way, you need to take apart you hub. I would suggest you replace both. $24 for the seal on the back plate and maybe $5 for the gasket sealer.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What kind of gasket sealer did you guys use when changing the seal? I have read that the Suzuki sealer did not work too well?

·
Registered
913 Posts
What kind of gasket sealer did you guys use when changing the seal? I have read that the Suzuki sealer did not work too well?
I used permatex rtv high temp gasket sealer. I think i used grey, temps up to 600. Dont be greedy when you use it, you want a good bead all the way around

1 - 20 of 24 Posts