M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is due for a fluid change. I have the dealer do the oil change, but they want $100 just to change out the fluid in the rear hub. From what I understand, it is a simple two bolt procedure. So I think that I'll save the A$100 and do it myself. Can anyone tell me exactly which fluid to get? I'd prefer to get it somewhere other than the dealership.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
My bike is due for a fluid change. I have the dealer do the oil change, but they want $100 just to change out the fluid in the rear hub. From what I understand, it is a simple two bolt procedure. So I think that I'll save the A$100 and do it myself. Can anyone tell me exactly which fluid to get? I'd prefer to get it somewhere other than the dealership.

Thanks
Easy is not the word. First, go to any pepboys, autozone etc... and by 75wx90 gear oil. I use mobile one, and it is about 10 bucks and comes in a tall thin bottle.

Then, if you look at the hub, you will see a hex bolt. you undo that and that will have you looking into the gears. On the very bottom, there is another bolt that is probably a 17mm and you undo that and completely drain it.

You need to remove the crush washer from that bolt and get a new one and put it on. You can get that at the dealer. Put the bottom bolt back on and torque to 16.5 ft/lbs. Then fill up the top until the fluid is up to the opening. I do it on a lift, spin the rim and it will suck in the gear oil. Fill back up until it is just about at the top and put that cap back on and tighten down. You are done. If you don't have a jack, then have a board under your kickstand to level the bike up some for when it drains. After you fill it up, you can then put the top cap on, roll the bike forward a few feet, and then open the cap and add the last little bit.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
$100 to change final drive fluid?!!!!

Holy crap, do what BP said and save yourself $87, plus your bottle of gear oil will last you at least 8 changes.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks Big Papa! I couldn't believe that the dealer wanted so much, so I called another dealership and they told me the same thing.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Jmitchell,

Correction...A quart bottle will get you 3 changes..

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
My bike is due for a fluid change. I have the dealer do the oil change, but they want $100 just to change out the fluid in the rear hub.
That's F***ing rediculous. They come by the term STEALER honestly I'd say.

I used Amsoil in mine. I'd suggest a synthetic over dyno.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
That is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks Big Papa! I couldn't believe that the dealer wanted so much, so I called another dealership and they told me the same thing.
Yea, that is a major rip off. When I do oil changes for people who are not friends, I offer to do the hub for free if they bring the oil. It is a total of 10 minutes out of my time and I do it while the regular oil is still draining. Dealerships really need to learn how to sweeten their overpriced service by offering a few perks that don't cost them anything. They should charge you $10 for the oil and do the labor for free.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I do my oil changes at 2500 miles oil and gear oil Motul 5100 in the engine and Motul 300 syn in the rear. Ya I know its to soon on changes, but, O-Well, I'm a maintence NUT. :joke::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I used to do mine every oil change, then realized it was a big waste. I then did it every other oil change and noticed the oil looked brand new, smelled brand new and felt the same. So, I then went to about every 10k.

The manual states to replace at 1k. then only inspect every 12k and replace if necessary. So, after your first 1 or 2 times, simply wasting money if you do it under 10k. Not that it is much money though...just saying.

So, the point is...do it at 1k. After that, check it every 12 and if you want to do it before then, or every oil change....that is up to you and no big deal at all.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I have been doing mine with every oil change and didnt notice any changes like BP said. I have now gone to doing this with every other oil change just because I figured since I am changing the oil it literally takes 10min from start to finish, and the majority of the time is just waiting for it all to drain out.

·
Registered
433 Posts
There is oil in there???
I always wondered why that bolt was there.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
And the first couple times you'll get a lot of metal filings out of it, so don't be surprised. At the first change I actually dumped a couple ounces of new oil in with the drain still out to flush it out a little. You have enough in the bottle to do that and still get 3 good changes out of it.

I change mine about every other oil change now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts